The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks considered holding onto Kesler

canuckbeliever

I don't have a problem with him wanting to go to a winner, I do however have a problem with the way he handled it.

I read an article (I wish I could find it again), in it, Benning said that Keslers agent was calling him every morning and every night before bed, pressuring him. Benning stated that sometimes they were yelling matches.

Benning asked if Kesler would be open to expanding his list so the Canucks could get a bit better return and he was told no, he would only go to Chicago or Anaheim.

That shows me that he has zero respect for the team that drafted him, his team mates and all of the canucks fans who supported him.

Remember, Kesler was still under contract and demanded a trade, the team had no obligation to move him. He left the team with no other option, he basically held them hostage, that's what I have a problem with.

Here ya go:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/06/27/the-mid-summer-draft-day-van-provies-youve-been-missed/

Very doubtful the return, bad as it is, would've gotten any better.

Meanwhile, Gillis is to blame for not getting us Pouliot, let lone Sutter. Win-win.

I thought the rumored offer was Sutter+Depres+First. But Gillis wanted Sutter+Pouliot+1st.

I reckon Bonino+Sbisa+1st, isn't far off that first offer.

I don't have a problem with him wanting to go to a winner, I do however have a problem with the way he handled it.

I read an article (I wish I could find it again), in it, Benning said that Keslers agent was calling him every morning and every night before bed, pressuring him. Benning stated that sometimes they were yelling matches.

Benning asked if Kesler would be open to expanding his list so the Canucks could get a bit better return and he was told no, he would only go to Chicago or Anaheim.

That shows me that he has zero respect for the team that drafted him, his team mates and all of the canucks fans who supported him.

Remember, Kesler was still under contract and demanded a trade, the team had no obligation to move him. He left the team with no other option, he basically held them hostage, that's what I have a problem with.

+1. He wants to be a winning team so he basically ties the hands of the Canucks who then do their best to make him happy and let him go. Not hard to figure out who did the right thing (JB) and who was just out for themselves and could've cared less about their teammates and the fans.

benning has already come out and basically said that the "wanting to win" reason kesler has told the media is a line of bs. he never mentioned it to benning as a reason he wanted out. it was actually personal reasons that benning wouldn't divulge.

Either way, he will play great for Anaheim and will play first line PP with Getzlaf and Perry. I suspect he will flirt with 35 goals and 70 pts, +12 or so. Then sign a big extension (7 years, 6.5M) and then the big decline will happen. At least my crystal ball tells me that. ;)

Bonino will come in and find chemistry with some of the Canucks tweeners and score 25 goals, 60 pts but make his linemates better. Kassian will get PP time now that Kes is gone and pot 25 himself. I suspect the Canucks will have 5 20 goal scoters this year: Sedin, Burr, Bonino, Kassian, Jensen.

Spreading out the offense a bit and playing a hard lunch bucket style like all of Willies teams,

lol like he'll even be healthy next season to play the Canucks. Dude's always on the IR and he's almost 30. We got an amazing return. This isn't NHL 14 where Kesler is an 88 all season and healthy. He's always hurt or plays hurt and his best days are gone.

I watched Jim Benning on Behind the B ( a Bruins reality show)....when the management decided that Seguin should go,they wasted no time ....Gonzo.!!....I don't think JB will put up with players that become a distraction for the team.

Boston got fleeced in that trade. How can one player always be in a lopsided trade discussion.

Glad they didn't...then we'd get a sulking player who doesn't want to be here. Best to send him on his way because we don't want to waste roster spots on players who've checked out. It's a privilege and an honour to play for an NHL team...some treat it like it's a right. Sure, contractual agreements make it so but remember that a team has to select you to play for them...if you don't want to, good luck down the road. They just could be the team to beat you.

No more drama, time to focus on hockey. The stuff with the refs, with players calling the shots and focusing on themselves vs team, etc. Fresh slate time.

I think the one thing we can learn from the Gillis Era is to NOT hold on to a player that wants out. It becomes a soap opera and then you trade 2 starting goalies. Then what?

We have a rookie in net that is going to have anxiety problems from the city's fan base.

Was always a Kesler fan, more because of his desire to win, than is skills which were definitely there as well. He and Burrows were the team leaders for many seasons. I started to question all this when he was not able to anchor a 2nd line, especially not being able to play with CoHo.

Linden is to much the class act to say anymore than he did. One has to wonder how much input from team mates had in his decision. If things were as bad as rumored off ice then he had no option. Combine that with comments made by Benning about the interaction with Kesler's agent. I would have had more respect for Kesler if he had simply made public a desire to move on to play for a CUP contending team. The way he did it was to leave a option for continuing in Van by saying he had not demanded a trade. It left all the crap on managements heads and not on his. He did not 'man up' when it would have counted.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out hotshot. I always liked his game effort but was never an overly huge fan of his personally and it appears he is quite the douchebag. Good Riddance. And again I just have to laugh at the stupid people that think Linden is purely a PR stunt. Just ignorant meatballs.

kesler has always been a guy who thinks he's better than he is, and while that chip on his shoulder and hard work has allowed him to become a better player than his skill level ever should have allowed him to, it's also caused him to delude himself into believing that he's a superstar instead of a role player.

when he was drafted and throughout his first few years in the league, he was typecast a third line checker because he had hands of stone. so, through hard work and sheer willpower, he developed some puck skills and a scoring touch. now he thinks he's datsyuk or kane, able to deke and dangle through an entire team when he clearly isn't, since every time he tries it a defenceman checks him easily.

throughout his whole career until the summer before 2010-11, kesler had a fairly weak and inaccurate shot. that summer he shot at least 100 pucks per day in his garage until he developed a shot that was surprisingly effective. in the 2010-11 season he scored 41 goals with this newly developed weapon, catching teams off guard since he added a new chapter to the book they had on him. after that year, teams adapted to acknowledge the weapon and it's been infinitely less effective, yet kesler still thinks he's ovechkin or sakic and fires off a wrist shot every time he skates over the blue line, which either hits the goalie in the crest or gets deflected into the balcony.

his unwillingness to accept his own limitations has made him a better individual player than he had any right of becoming, but it's also made him a terrible teammate, thinking he can do it all himself. he sees himself as the franchise player that's going to put the team on his back on the way to a cup ("...i don't just want to win a cup, but i want to be a big part of winning a cup..."), when really he should be striving to be an important role player on a strong team.

Glad the Canucks were able to make a deal. The last thing we need especially with the media we have here... is to have a player who wants to leave here staying here and creating negative distractions in the room and around the team

CS wanted to start, Kes wanted to play for the cup. Funny how those 2 things might have aligned. I always thought Kes was a bit of a tool, but can't blame him for leaving. Happens every year, if the team wasn't able and/or capable of changing back to a contender, then he was willing to leave. Guys who stayed are obviously more keen with hockey as a career, which is fine, but hardly any more honorable. Don't mistaken players like Bieksa or the twins as being more loyal, they're just more comfortable.

Not like Kes chose to leave because he disliked his teammates, the city or coach. He moved on because our direction wasn't aligned with his. Simple and fair. Management clearly isn't playing to his timeline. Countless players have done the same, and under far worse conditions.

CS wanted to start because he rightfully earned the spot. Most importantly he wanted to start for the Canucks. He was absolutely stunned when he found out he was traded. He wanred to be a Canuck but Gillis wasn't capable enough to trade Luongo at the time. Lets be clear he wanted to be a starter but in no way he wanted to leave.

Archived