The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Josh Gorges to Buffalo.

In english, that Gorges to BUF for a 2016 second-rounder

RT @BuffaloSabres: TRADE ALERT: The #Sabres acquire defenseman Josh Gorges from @CanadiensMTL in exchange for a 2nd round pick in 2016

Josh Gorges situation in MTL problematic for all. MTL had deal with TOR but Gorges refused to waive modified NTC to go to TOR. Still won't.

MTL appears to want to shed his salary/contract. Could trade him to 1 of 15 approved teams. Failing that, could put him on waivers.

If it's waivers, MTL gets no return but Gorges loses all control of where he ends up. Might spectre of waivers convince him to approve TOR?

In any case, lots of moving parts involving a popular and respected player in MTL. Stay tuned on this one.

Only solution at this point IMO would appear to be MTL finding trading partner with 1 of 15 teams on Gorges' approved list.

I dont understand two things.

1) Why?

2) If a player gives you teams he'd waive to, why the hell would you make a deal with a team on the no trade list? Stupid waste of time

Ottawa had a deal done with Spezza but they were stupid enough to negotiate with Nashville which was one of the teams he didnt want, yet both GM's wasted their times and Spezza said no.

"Hey Kesler, we have a done deal with Edmonton, you OK with that?" No Jim, F off I gave you a list! Our GM isn't an idiot though, our current one that is.

1) Why?

2) If a player gives you teams he'd waive to, why the hell would you make a deal with a team on the no trade list? Stupid waste of time

Ottawa had a deal done with Spezza but they were stupid enough to negotiate with Nashville which was one of the teams he didnt want, yet both GM's wasted their times and Spezza said no.

"Hey Kesler, we have a done deal with Edmonton, you OK with that?" No Jim, F off I gave you a list! Our GM isn't an idiot though, our current one that is.

LOL I know right.

1) Why?

lol

1) Why?

This^^ Benning had to deal with 2 teams and didn't threaten to waiver him unless he opens it up. What a way to treat someone that has 15 possible teams you can trade him too

1) Why?

Ya I don't quite see why they want him out of mtl.

montreal has $17.5 m in cap space and will still have $10 m left after signing subban. what big plans do they have?

i was thinking i'd do hamhuis and burrows for gorges and pacioretty but i'm guessing montreal doesn't want salary back.

1) Why?

1). If you knew anything about the Montreal lineup you'd know that Gorges was very inconsistent last season. You'd also know that Weaver came in and filled the role that Gorges does very effectively at a fraction of the price. You'd also know they have 2 to 3 young nhl ready defensive prospects. Gorges cap hit is to high when they have other cheap, effective options

2). A little hypocritical to be slamming a gm for asking a player to waive his NTC when Benning JUST traded Garrison (who didn't have a list because he had a full NTC)

3) Montreal is rumoured to be in on Boyle. Maybe they have an agreement with him and need the cap and roster spot

montreal has $17.5 m in cap space and will still have $10 m left after signing subban. what big plans do they have?

i was thinking i'd do hamhuis and burrows for gorges and pacioretty but i'm guessing montreal doesn't want salary back.

Lol they are not trading patches. He had 39 goals on a cap friendly contract.

1). If you knew anything about the Montreal lineup you'd know that Gorges was very inconsistent last season. You'd also know that Weaver came in and filled the role that Gorges does very effectively at a fraction of the price. You'd also know they have 2 to 3 young nhl ready defensive prospects. Gorges cap hit is to high when they have other cheap, effective options

2). A little hypocritical to be slamming a gm for asking a player to waive his NTC when Benning JUST traded Garrison (who dudnt gave a list because he had a full NTC)

Hypocrisy on cdc, never.

Could make a run at Moulson or Boyle i'd guess. Maybe even Niskanen, but I would assume the most likely thing is getting Gionta signed and bringing up some solid youth with a decent amount of cap space for some rentals at the deadline.

Could make a run at Moulson or Boyle i'd guess. Maybe even Niskanen, but I would assume the most likely thing is getting Gionta signed and bringing up some solid youth with a decent amount of cap space for some rentals at the deadline.

From the sounds of things Gionta won't be back.

2). A little hypocritical to be slamming a gm for asking a player to waive his NTC when Benning JUST traded Garrison (who didn't have a list because he had a full NTC)

3) Montreal is rumoured to be in on Boyle. Maybe they have an agreement with him and need the cap and roster spot

1) You claim I dont know anything about them, then say a UFA will take his spot? They don't have Weaver right now.

2) You completely missed the point. Garrison was asked to waive, gave a few teams, and TB was one of them. Did Jim Benning make a trade with Garrison to a team he already confirmed he didnt want to play with then have Garrison say no? Nope. Benning followed his desire (Kesler's too) to a team on his list. Something MTL and OTT should take notes of.

3) 17.5M in capspace says otherwise.

Archived