The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Mason Raymond

Pretty good signing by the Flames. Raymond certainly doesn't deserve all the criticism he gets. He's scored 50 points before, while playing in the west. No reason he can't do it again.

While I can't cheer for Calgary, I still hope Raymond has success.

• 5 months later...

And here we go. Now where have we heard this before, and how much are they paying him again... and for how long?

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/12/31/calgary-flames-mason-raymond-likely-healthy-scratch-against-incoming-oilers

Calgary Flames' Mason Raymond likely healthy scratch against incoming Oilers

It wasn’t easy being green during Tuesday’s Calgary Flames practice.

Not for Mason Raymond.

With Josh Jooris nearing a return from injury, Raymond was on a green-sweatered fifth line with the likes of the currently injured Mikael Backlund and Brian McGrattan, who’s been a healthy scratch for all but one of the last 18 games.

That usually is a sure sign a scratching is coming – although Flames head coach Bob Hartley said he hasn’t made up his mind whether Jooris will play and didn’t know if the rookie would be given the full green light for Wednesday’s clash with the Edmonton Oilers (7:30 p.m., Sportsnet One/Sportsnet 960 The Fan).

So, it could be a sign of what’s coming or just a message sent to the veteran winger.

“I don’t think much needs to be said,” Raymond said. “I’m not really playing where I want to be and it’s as simple as that.”

After a torrid start, five goals in seven games, Raymond was sent to the sidelines in late October due to a shoulder injury that cost him 18 games.

He has been held without a point in 10 outings since returning.

Hartley said the 29-year-old has been “searching” for his game.

“That’s part of my job, too. The player has a responsibility. The coach has a responsibility, also,” Hartley said. “Mason Raymond, when he got injured, was our best scorer. He was playing great. The injury, you never know when you come back. We always hope the guy’s gonna come back and play like he didn’t miss a beat, and it hasn’t been the case for Mace.

“He’s searching for his game. He’s searching for answers. I think he’s over-thinking it, but we need him.”

Raymond has fired 20 shots on net since returning to action, but has also been playing on the perimeter.

Could it be a case of not feeling comfortable from the injury?

“Injuries are part of the game, they happen, but I’m not going to sit here and tell you an injury is my excuse in any which way or form,” Raymond said.

I’ve been through this many times and I’ve found ways out, and I’ll find a way out from this situation as well. From past experience, I think sometimes it’s a big play. It’s a big goal, getting a break one way or another. Most important, I think it’s staying positive.”

With Jooris due back any day and centre Mikael Backlund also nearing a return, the Flames are facing the possibility of needing to make some fairly drastic moves. Players easily sent to the minors will be hard to take from the lineup unless their games fall off.

“I think it’s a great problem to have,” Hartley said. “It’s gonna be up to myself, to my staff, to management to discuss it and we will come with the best possible decision to help us win hockey games. We’re in the situation that we’re aiming at the playoffs and we’re going to keep that mindset until the end, so if you want to play, you have to have to contribute.

You have to make sure you bring something. Whether you play 20 minutes or whether you play eight, nine minutes, it doesn’t matter. Everyone has a role, everyone has importance and it’s important we keep everyone accountable.

“Sometimes, injuries are not fun, but they make our jobs easier because we only have 20 healthy bodies, but in our situation right now, I think it’s gonna bring the best out of everyone.”

Archived