The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Avalanche sign Jarome Iginla

I was hoping we could sign him, so this is disappointing. I thought playing with the Sedins would be a better fit for him though.

3 years could be a bit much though. We already saw that he wasn't the greatest fit in Pittsburgh, and if it had anything to do with playing style, I'm not sure if he'll keep up with Duchene and MacKinnon when he's 39/40.

I think it's a good fit for Colorado, but 1 year too long on the term.

Iginla and Briere are going to provide huge leadership for the young players on the Avs.

Iginla's going to do what Sundin did for Kesler and the Sedins.

Jarome Iginla: "I'm optimistic that that I could win the Stanley Cup with the Avalanche in the next 3 years. With this group, I think the sky is the limit! When I think of some of the teams that have had success in the NHL in the last 5 or 6 years, I think of Chicago; they were a very young, very talented team that moved up very quickly, that had a very talented young core when they won. Pittsburgh was pretty young when they won. Boston had a pretty young core when they won, too. I think Colorado has a lot of young guys, whether in their first year or third or fourth year or whatever, they’ve been confident and been able to play their way and just keep getting better. I’m excited to be able to come for three years and be part of that, and grow with the guys.”

• 5 months later...

Jarome Iginla: "I'm optimistic that that I could win the Stanley Cup with the Avalanche in the next 3 years. With this group, I think the sky is the limit! When I think of some of the teams that have had success in the NHL in the last 5 or 6 years, I think of Chicago; they were a very young, very talented team that moved up very quickly, that had a very talented young core when they won. Pittsburgh was pretty young when they won. Boston had a pretty young core when they won, too. I think Colorado has a lot of young guys, whether in their first year or third or fourth year or whatever, theyve been confident and been able to play their way and just keep getting better. Im excited to be able to come for three years and be part of that, and grow with the guys.

He might actually have as much or better chance playing with the flames for what its worth.

Archived