The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Lightning sign Brian Boyle

Tampa will be a contender this season.

A lot of really good moves today.

Dont agree at all with Stralman deal but considering they made the playoffs without Stamkos for a long time and after trading their leading scorer, they were already a decent contender. Adding Boston losing Iginal, Montreal subtracting a few pieces and Pittsburgh being questionable in the playoffs, they will be my future bet in Vegas next month.

Higgins, Hansen, Vey, Matthias, Richardson, Dorsett, Sestito....

Where exactly did you see Boyle fitting into the bottom six here?

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Kassian, Jensen, Bonino.

Our B6 is fine, in fact it is outstanding. We possibly need some help in the T6.

I think that Benning is prepared to go into the season with this as our forward group, and evaluate at the quarter pole mark to see if changes are indeed needed.

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

I think that T6 group will surprise people, Burrows, and the Sedins having bounce back to form seasons will net us an additional 20-30 goals that were missing from last season, and I believe Jensen in a full season can likely pot 20+ goals himself.

Higgins - Matthias - Hansen

Richardson - Vey - Dorsett

That is an incredibly competent bottom 6. That third line is good for anywhere from 30-60 goals, and the 4th line is good for anywhere from 15-30 goals.

Like I said, a lot of people have this notion that the Canucks are such a horrible offensive team, the last few years were a case of management doing nothing to shake up the makeup of this team, and coaching not doing a good enough job of integrating youth and providing opportunities for younger players to assume larger responsibilities.

The Canucks will very much be a dark horse team next year offensively and will surprise people.

Our B6 is fine, in fact it is outstanding. We possibly need some help in the T6.

I think that Benning is prepared to go into the season with this as our forward group, and evaluate at the quarter pole mark to see if changes are indeed needed.

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

I think that T6 group will surprise people, Burrows, and the Sedins having bounce back to form seasons will net us an additional 20-30 goals that were missing from last season, and I believe Jensen in a full season can likely pot 20+ goals himself.

That is an incredibly competent bottom 6. That third line is good for anywhere from 30-60 goals, and the 4th line is good for anywhere from 15-30 goals.

Like I said, a lot of people have this notion that the Canucks are such a horrible offensive team, the last few years were a case of management doing nothing to shake up the makeup of this team, and coaching not doing a good enough job of integrating youth and providing opportunities for younger players to assume larger responsibilities.

The Canucks will very much be a dark horse team next year offensively and will surprise people.

Yep,

I think this year is really the 'transition' year MG expected last year.

He hoped Kassian would show he could play top 6 and Jensen would show he could manage a full year in the NHL

If they had, and the entire team didn't find a way to have their individual worst seasons in a decade we would have been fine. Issue? Torts? Depth? Cancers? all the above, who knows, but yes I agree, this year we should see some bounce backs from most of our guys.

So the key will be, does Kassian now take the next step and solidify himself as a guy who can manage top six minutes and get us consistent play and 40ish points? That would be a great step for him

Does Jensen show he can play and as you say pot 20? He has the skill, but can he manage the 'little things', the pressure, and the tougher grind yet? Hopefully he's ready . I think given his size he will much as you suggest.

Then does a guy like Horvat/Shinkaruk make a push, if so, if all of those happen, and all big ifs, then we may just surprise some people, and certainly most of the wet diapers on this site.

The same wet diapers who are complaining we didn't sign the big names are also saying we don't have enough skill / don't recognize what he have in Kassian/Jensen..I guess many just come on here to whine!

I'm with you....

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

LINDEN VEY IS NOT HERE TO PLAY ON THE FOURTH LINE SO STOP PEOPLE...PLEASE!

Yep,

I think this year is really the 'transition' year MG expected last year.

He hoped Kassian would show he could play top 6 and Jensen would show he could manage a full year in the NHL

If they had, and the entire team didn't find a way to have their individual worst seasons in a decade we would have been fine. Issue? Torts? Depth? Cancers? all the above, who knows, but yes I agree, this year we should see some bounce backs from most of our guys.

So the key will be, does Kassian now take the next step and solidify himself as a guy who can manage top six minutes and get us consistent play and 40ish points? That would be a great step for him

Does Jensen show he can play and as you say pot 20? He has the skill, but can he manage the 'little things', the pressure, and the tougher grind yet? Hopefully he's ready . I think given his size he will much as you suggest.

Then does a guy like Horvat/Shinkaruk make a push, if so, if all of those happen, and all big ifs, then we may just surprise some people, and certainly most of the wet diapers on this site.

The same wet diapers who are complaining we didn't sign the big names are also saying we don't have enough skill / don't recognize what he have in Kassian/Jensen..I guess many just come on here to whine!

I'm with you....

Agreed, the fact of the matter is that the majority of people on this forum (and this is no slight to those who this proves true) just don't understand the core fundamentals of the game, and grossly underrate the players on our team while overrating players in this league not on our team.

I chalk it up to ignorance, pure and simple and a byproduct of not only a sense of entitlement, but a need for instant gratification. It took LA what, 7-8 years to get to the point they are at now? St Louis was horrible for 10+ years before they rose to the level they are at now (those figures may be grossly out of line, it's just an off the top recollection on my part).

Another thing is, while a lot of people are calling for an outright rebuild, but 95% of the market in this city will not tolerate regression to the recent dark years of 96-2001, and neither will ownership.

I'd rather be a middle of the pack team NOW, and watch an entertaining brand of hockey while relying on diligent scouting, drafting and development and personnel acquisition (trades, ufa signing) when it makes sense to do so. In time, our youth pipeline will be supplying a constant and steady stream of NHL ready talent that will keep us competitive and elite for years to come.

People seem to think that you can't become elite without gaining T10 picks year in, year out. That's just a defeatist attitude, there are plenty of players capable of making significant impact in the NHL to be found in the later rounds, but the raw talent needs to be identified and then subsequently developed properly.

I keep hoping that eventually common sense will emerge victorious on this board, but I don't know, my conviction is beginning to waiver.

LINDEN VEY IS NOT HERE TO PLAY ON THE FOURTH LINE SO STOP PEOPLE...PLEASE!

STICKERSSS!

Dude, the depth that I just posted above is not a 4th line that will play 5 minutes a game. It's a 3A, 3B scenario where both lines will play around 12-15 minutes per game, much like the T6 is more of a 2A/2B scenario that will play in the 17-20 minute per game range.

This line up is going to be a "by committee" offense, they will be rolling 4 lines consistently and all 4 lines playing an up tempo style of game.

And the reason Linden Vey is going to be on the "4th line" is simple: Matthias is more of a proven 3rd line center than Vey is, he has a significantly higher sample size from which to draw upon. Now, if, when camp roles around and Vey outplays Matthias for the 3C position then guess what? He's going to get that role.

Simple as that, but when you forecast a lineup and estimate who will be where, a little bit of common sense is going to dictate the general make up of a roster.

I just don't understand why it's so difficult for people to comprehend that "4th line" is simply a label that has been propagated for years to imply that a player on that line is a low talent, incomplete hockey player incapable of being trusted in key situations.

Yes, it's a 4th line in the context of depth, just as it is a function of basic arithmetic. Can you prove to me, that at the NHL level, Linden Vey is a better choice for a 3rd line Center than Shawn Matthias?

By the same convention, if I were to put Horvat into that line up in place of Linden Vey, people would be screaming "That's going to hamper his production, he's better off playing Junior". But in the same scenario, if that "4th line" is playing 12-15 minutes per game, thats pretty damned good for a rookie, wouldn't you say?

For comparison, Cody Hodgson the year he was traded from the Canucks to Buffalo (2011-2012), he played an average of 12:43 of very sheltered minutes.

In 2003-2004, Ryan Kesler played 28 games at an average TOI of 10:42 and played guess where, on the team's 4th line based on other average TOI for centers that year.

In 2005-2006, Alex Burrows played 43 games on the team's 4th line at an average TOI of 10:24.

The point I'm making is that a little perspective goes a long way, in my examples, all three players with maybe the exception of Hodgson paid their dues and as a result developed into solid NHL players, and in the case of Kesler an Elite player.

If Linden Vey has the potential to be an elite level player, he will have to pay his dues and earn a spot on the roster, nothing is handed to a player; it has to be earned.

Brian Boyle is crap though. I don't understand why teams want him. This well end up like the lecavelier situation.

He's 6'6, 245, plays a third or fourth line role, his skating is top notch for a big man, he checks, and plays tough.

Which part don't you get?

Archived