The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Western Conference teams by ranking: our chances of making the playoffs

Drakrami

Below is what I feel are the strongest teams in the West.

1. Los Angeles

2. Chicago

3. Anaheim

4. St.Louis

5. Colorado

6. Dallas

7. Minnesota

8. Edmonton

I just realize how much all of these teams have improved and how far behind we suddenly are.... I mean we were one of the top teams in the NHL as little as 2 years ago. I don't like our chances of making the playoffs at all, and I am not even a bandwagoner.

Guess I will have to settle with being excited about our prospect's development and the 2015 draft.

I stopped reading at Edmonton.

They got better in areas they needed to and Nurse and Klefbom will be ready to step in to the blueline. Their goaltending got better as well.

If you really think they don't have a shot with a stud 2nd line center in Draisatl, rookie or not. Big mean knuckle chucking Aulie, and Nurse/Klefbom on D as well as whatever other moves they'll make.

I cannot help you.

Even Calgary has a serious outside chance of making ti should they actually address their goal scoring or have players like Gaudreau step in.

My 8.

Anaheim

Chicago

St Louis

Colorado

Los Angeles (based on reg season not playoffs, two different teams really)

Minnesota

Dallas

San Jose

Outside looking in.

Edmonton

Arizona (weird to say that)

Vancouver

Winnipeg

Calgary

Nashville

I really don't believe we are more than a 1 line team right now with a smattering of potential 2nd line players. And in a western conference that got much tougher yesterday I do not see us in contention for anything more than a bubble spot say 9th or 10th at best

They got better in areas they needed to and Nurse and Klefbom will be ready to step in to the blueline. Their goaltending got better as well.

If you really think they don't have a shot with a stud 2nd line center in Draisatl, rookie or not. Big mean knuckle chucking Aulie, and Nurse/Klefbom on D as well as whatever other moves they'll make.

I cannot help you.

Even Calgary has a serious outside chance of making ti should they actually address their goal scoring or have players like Gaudreau step in.

My 8.

Anaheim

Chicago

St Louis

Colorado

Los Angeles (based on reg season not playoffs, two different teams really)

Minnesota

Dallas

San Jose

Outside looking in.

Edmonton

Arizona (weird to say that)

Vancouver

Winnipeg

Calgary

Nashville

I really don't believe we are more than a 1 line team right now with a smattering of potential 2nd line players. And in a western conference that got much tougher yesterday I do not see us in contention for anything more than a bubble spot say 9th or 10th at best

The turtle-derby may be between WIN, NASH, ARI & VAN.

Is VAN the last of all 7 Canadian teams a reality for us now? :picard:

On the plus-side - expectations couldn't be any lower....anything better is winning! :emot-parrot:

Sorry Edmonton haters, but I actually think Edmonton this year will be a team to watch out for.

They actually have NHL goaltending now with Scrivens and Fasth. Their stars are maturing: Hall, Hopkins, Eberle, Yakupov, Perron. They upgraded their 3rd line in size and production with Purcell and Pouliot. They signed Fayne, who is a top 4 D, and then they have defense like Darnell Nurse, Martin Marincin, and Oscar Klefbom who should start contributing next season.

On paper, they are a team to watch out for.

Honestly I feel like Anaheim actually got worse this off-season. Sure if you look at the upgrade from Bonino to Kesler in a vacuum it looks like they got better. But then you have to realize they lost the following roster players:

Selanne - Leadership and decent scoring for his age
Koivu - Leadership and a good 3rd liner that can step up when called upon
Winnik - An above average bottom 6 guy with decent possession numbers
Hiller - A fallback veteran who can step in if a rookie goalie falters

Bonino - young center who was just starting to show flashes of what he is capable of
Sbisa - under-performing but highly praised young defenseman who is expected to show a lot more in future.

Perreault - Probably their biggest loss, played a ton in the top 6 and was their best faceoff guy.
Robidas - Injury plagued season but was a calming player in his own end. In replacement they signed Clayton Stoner for 3.25M a season. Younger? sure. Upgrade? Questionable.

So they lost a top 6 winger, 4 middle six forwards including two centers, an average starting goalie, and 2 bottom pairing defenseman. In return they gained a former Selke winner in kesler, a bottom six guy in Thompson, and a bottom six defenseman with a funny last name in Stoner.

I don't know about the rest of you but last years high PDO and expected recessive S% aside, I just feel like the ducks have had a net loss this offseason and could be on the outside lookin in come April. Pretty much every young player on their roster had a career year and it is hard to believe this will be the case next year.

That said.

1.LA
2. SJ
3. Anh/Van

1. Chi

2. Min
3. Stl
W Dal
W Col

Those are my predictions for the playoffs next season. I am not sold on Edm yet, Phx lost some good players this year, and Calgary is just a joke this season. I think 5 teams make it from central, Jets and Nashville haven't improved enough, Colorado sneaks in but they are conceivably a worse team this year (Iginla does not make up for losing both Stastny and Paranteau.

I believe Anh (bad possession) and Van (lacking scoring depth) will be in a fight for that final Pacific spot come the end of the season.

On the plus-side - expectations couldn't be any lower....anything better is winning! :emot-parrot:

Dunno man, Calgary has sunk pretty damn low.

For regular season, which is needed to make the playoffs, how can you not list San Jose?

LA
Chicago

Colorado

St Louis

San Jose

Anaheim

Minnesota

Dallas

Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Nashville wont make it

That leaves us and Arizona as the bubble teams. YAY!

Sorry Edmonton haters, but I actually think Edmonton this year will be a team to watch out for.

Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah 2011, 2012 and 2013

Quite honestly right now, it's not looking great for Vancouver. The west is ultra-competitive as always, and even moreso then before now. I'd pretty much put the Canucks at the bottom of the pack

ANA

LA

SJ

CHI

STL

MIN

COL

DAL

EDM

NSH

ARI

WPG

VAN

CGY

Nashville in my opinion continued to get a lot better this off-season in the acquisition of Neal. Rinne was out a majority of the season and expect FIlip Forsberg and Calle Jarnkrok to slot in the line up, two very good prospects. Couple that with a young and continuously improving blueline and I don't see how Nashville will be too far off

The only one I can see going anywhere in that bottom 6 in the west is Arizona.

Dunno man, Calgary has sunk pretty damn low.

Agreed. We will still be a cut above Calgary and Ottawa for sure. Possibly Toronto as well.

In fact, a double double says we are better than Toronto hands down. WTF is Nonis doing...

Archived