The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Western Conference teams by ranking: our chances of making the playoffs

Drakrami

Minnesota is better than St.Louis imo

Minnesota is going to awesome until the christmas break I think. Like presidents trophy kind of awesome but I think they squeak into the playoffs.

St Louis wins the west though imo.

I also think this year is going to be the year we see San Jose start a very fast downward turn.

anyone that puts Vancouver in the top 8 or even top 3.. please give me some of that stuff that you are smoking thx.. we downgraded offensively on a team that's 26th overall in scoring and all of a sudden we are back in business eh? =\

While I don't put us top 8 or 3rd or whatever I would bet this team finishes much better than 26th in scoring next season. Even with no other changes.

The Oilers are going nowhere with that defence.

As far as top eight goes.....

1/2 - Los Angeles and Chicago

3 Anaheim

4 Minnesota

5 Colorado

6 St. Louis

7 San Jose

8 Arizona/Dallas

Vancouver, Wimmipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, and Nashville are all pretenders IMO. With the exception of maybe Calgary. I like what they've done with their team and Giordano is the most underrated player in the NHL.

There is still a lot of question marks surrounding every team.

Anaheim Depends what Getzlaf shows up and how Gibson and Anderson handle starting roles.

Chicago (Who do they get rid of, Sharp is likely gone. They are 2.2 mil over cap right now and a big raise is coming for Toews and Kane)

St Louis Jake Allen and Elliot

Colorado Can Varlamov play up to the level he did last year? Can their young players put up even better numbers than what they did last year?

Los Angeles You already mentioned it, they aren’t the greatest Reg season team. What happens when Gaborik is out 50% of the season with injuries

Minnesota They lost Moulson but gain Vanek. Vanek was invisible in playoffs and right now they don’t have a real number1 goalie. Do the gamble on Kuemper?

Dallas Lehtonen is hit or miss. The still need to sign Eakin, Roussel, and Dillon with less than 9 mil. Their offense is good but they D is really weak.

San Jose Neimi is also hit or miss, Big Joe is slowing down and can Hertl improve off of last year?

Edmonton They have enough talent, but can the put it together. The signings they have done yesterday were terrible and way overpriced. Scrivens is yet to play a full season as a number one lets see how he handles the pressure of being a goalie counted on to make the playoffs.

Arizona Doan is getting older and their production is slowing down, Gagner was a good pick up but they still don’t have any true 1st line players that can be counted on.

Vancouver What Sedin’s show up next year? What Burrows and Edler shows up? Can Kassian improve to the next level? How does Miller fit in. Who can stay healthy? How well does the team by into WD?

Winnipeg What happens with Kane, Pavelc is hit or miss. When he’s on, he’s a great goalie but the last year has been really inconsistent. They are missing 2 top 6 players do they get them in a trade or hope someone in their farm fills that hole

Calgary How does the youth do. Baertschi hasn’t lived up to expectations over the last two season and they really don’t have much of offence outside Hudler and Monahan. They will really be competing for last place, although they will play hard everynight

Nashville Can Forsberg step up? Will Rinne be the Vezna caliber goalie he’s been in the past. How well does Neal fit in? Can Jones take things to another level?

The way I see things going is a lot different than most

Playoff bound

Colorado

St. Louis

Chicago

Anaheim

Vancouver

Los Angeles

Wild card fight

Edmonton

San Jose

Dallas

Minnesota

Bottom

Winnipeg

Calgary

Arizona

Nashville

But then it really depends on other things like players getting injured. If Quick goes down they might be in the wild card spot. Same with Anaheim if Gibson doesn’t live up to his new role. If Kuemper falls than Wild might find them self in the bottom feeders. Maybe O’Reilly doesn’t sign and AV’s get tired of Roy’s coaching, they could be back to the wild card spot.

I think we'll be a bit better than last season, due things like the coaching change, moving disgruntled players and the simple fact that I don't think it's possible for the entire team to have off years, two years in a row.

However, as of right now, I don't see anything that makes me believe that we'll be anything more than a bubble team, or worse. I think making the playoffs is extremely optimistic unless some significant changes are made.

Agreed. We will still be a cut above Calgary and Ottawa for sure. Possibly Toronto as well.

In fact, a double double says we are better than Toronto hands down. WTF is Nonis doing...

I honestly agree with that and I like the Leafs. The only reason I think they have a better chance is because the East.

I dont understand how Nonis is still employed. 2 of the 3 signings weren't even "change". All they did was go back a year and re-acquire players. And the core is aging again.

I like the Leafs, but I do see them worse than us and have a higher chance at the #1 than last year. I hope I'm wrong but the team just got much worse.

I honestly agree with that and I like the Leafs. The only reason I think they have a better chance is because the East.

I dont understand how Nonis is still employed. 2 of the 3 signings weren't even "change". All they did was go back a year and re-acquire players. And the core is aging again.

I like the Leafs, but I do see them worse than us and have a higher chance at the #1 than last year. I hope I'm wrong but the team just got much worse.

I hope you're right and they finally fire Nonis. That's the only way the leafs are going to build themselves into anything. I feel like they were close but now...jesus.

This has to be his last go around as a GM right?

I hope you're right and they finally fire Nonis. That's the only way the leafs are going to build themselves into anything. I feel like they were close but now...jesus.

This has to be his last go around as a GM right?

God I hope so. I mean Burke was ok, but at least he did a good job cleaning the huge mess made by J. Ferguson Jr and then he got fired because some stupid sportsnet scandel (which was probs true) and Nonis has destroyed us badly. Honestly other than Bernier, I feel like Nonis backtracked us a lot.

The only good thing he did was draft Nylander.

LA Chicago St. Louis Anaheim Dallas top 5

San Jose or Vancouver 6

Colorado Minnesota 7 and 8 even though their point totals will be higher then 6th place

I think its a battle between us and San Jose for 6th place vs 9th place

This San Jose partial rebuild is great news for our playoff hopes.. The big 3 is now a big 2 in our division

I think we will ease into 6th maybe 5th

I don't see JB as being finished strengthening the team yet and I see our core warming to Willie D. I think we have landed some strong players who can all play and throw the body about and we have a great goalie tandem to tie things down at the back.

We could play another 20 years and not have as sh-tty a season as last year. These guys are "character" guys and I see a big bounce back.

anyone that puts Vancouver in the top 8 or even top 3.. please give me some of that stuff that you are smoking thx.. we downgraded offensively on a team that's 26th overall in scoring and all of a sudden we are back in business eh? =\

26th overall in scoring was because Van played with the Torts system, not to mention he overworked most of our core players to injury. We wouldn't be top scorers but we're likely going to be much better than this season unless Willie doesn't pan out.

We're probably going to have 1 or 2 prospects coming up to the NHL. If any one of them turns out even half as good as ROR then things will really start to add up. Our bottom 6, defense, and goaltending are looking good right now. All that's left unaccounted for is a top 6 winger and how the Sedins and Burrows will perform. We're a lot closer to being playoff contenders than some think.

The west is hard to pick.

Locks:

LA like always will under perform in regular season and be great in playoffs.

Anaheim may be better may not be in regular season, Kesler was not brought in for regular season. Easily a playoff team.

SJ-Could implode but still way too good down the middle and too well coached to think they wouldn't make playoffs but stranger things have happened. The way they have treated Thorton and Marleau could really blow up-why did they resign them mid season again?

Chicago-Easily a lock for playoffs.

Colorado-I don't know if they have improved. Out goes Stasny incomes Brier and Iginla. They should have spent their money on defence not forwards. ROR needs to resign. Could drop off a little from last year but still good enough to make playoffs.

St. Louis-great D, improved forwards, should be lock for playoffs.

Dallas-Good year last year and added two scoring forwards who had great chemistry together last year after Hemsky was acquired. Again should continue upward trajectory. Big reason some of the above will step back a bit is the improvement here.

Really only leaves 1-2 spots if SJ implodes.

Minnesota is really well coached, if their goaltending consistency improves and with adding Vanek to go with Pominville again they should maintain or could climb a little.

Phoenix-Doesn't look improved, still won't be able to score. Olli Jokinen not gonna fix that.

Edmonton-improved the bottom 3 of there D at an incredible cost but are going to very dependent on very young defencemen. Better this year but not enough

Calgary-Awful and getting worse

Winnipeg-have they done anything, are they doing anything. There starting goaltender was ranked 40th in the league in Sv% wow.

Vancouver-Maybe if SJ implodes they could squeak in but so many unknowns. Great we filled in the 22-26 year old gap in our lineup but who knows if it is going to work especially in the first year. Still need to add some scoring and need to be better at face-offs.

Boyle Havlat Stuart *Thornton* gone

Stalock the new starting goalie

If we can get a great top 6 forward, we can be even with these guys and battle for 6th place and play against St.Louis who sucks in the playoffs.. No chance at a wild card I dont think this year, just 6th, 9th, or 10th

Maybe today we are not as good, but if we stay close, add a nice piece at the deadline, I think we can catch them at the end with one of Gaunce Shinkaruk Fox coming up and doing great, Jensen Kassian could be great by seasons end, etc.

Only guy that improves for SJ is Hertl

The west is hard to pick.

Locks:

LA like always will under perform in regular season and be great in playoffs.

Anaheim may be better may not be in regular season, Kesler was not brought in for regular season. Easily a playoff team.

SJ-Could implode but still way too good down the middle and too well coached to think they wouldn't make playoffs but stranger things have happened. The way they have treated Thorton and Marleau could really blow up-why did they resign them mid season again?

Chicago-Easily a lock for playoffs.

Colorado-I don't know if they have improved. Out goes Stasny incomes Brier and Iginla. They should have spent their money on defence not forwards. ROR needs to resign. Could drop off a little from last year but still good enough to make playoffs.

St. Louis-great D, improved forwards, should be lock for playoffs.

Dallas-Good year last year and added two scoring forwards who had great chemistry together last year after Hemsky was acquired. Again should continue upward trajectory. Big reason some of the above will step back a bit is the improvement here.

Really only leaves 1-2 spots if SJ implodes.

Minnesota is really well coached, if their goaltending consistency improves and with adding Vanek to go with Pominville again they should maintain or could climb a little.

Phoenix-Doesn't look improved, still won't be able to score. Olli Jokinen not gonna fix that.

Edmonton-improved the bottom 3 of there D at an incredible cost but are going to very dependent on very young defencemen. Better this year but not enough

Calgary-Awful and getting worse

Winnipeg-have they done anything, are they doing anything. There starting goaltender was ranked 40th in the league in Sv% wow.

Vancouver-Maybe if SJ implodes they could squeak in but so many unknowns. Great we filled in the 22-26 year old gap in our lineup but who knows if it is going to work especially in the first year. Still need to add some scoring and need to be better at face-offs.

your Phoenix should be Nashville, and then you need to include Arizona at the bottom there

Archived