The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Western Conference teams by ranking: our chances of making the playoffs

Drakrami

God I hope so. I mean Burke was ok, but at least he did a good job cleaning the huge mess made by J. Ferguson Jr and then he got fired because some stupid sportsnet scandel (which was probs true) and Nonis has destroyed us badly. Honestly other than Bernier, I feel like Nonis backtracked us a lot.

The only good thing he did was draft Nylander.

The thing with Burke is he wouldn't know what a good goaltender was if it sat on his face.

The problem with Nonis is that he seems to be ok with seeing goalie talent but other than that doesn't know how to hockey.

1. I don't see SJ imploding here just yet. They've only lost players who are slowing down quite a bit and they always seem to have replacements ready.

2. Chicago ain't declining anytime soon and they always seem to manage cap crunches well.

3. LA lost Mitchell, but is pretty much set up for a dynasty.

4. St. Louis improved easily with Stastny.

5. Dallas improved quite a bit too.

6. Iginla and Briere are better, more proven options than who Colorado lost imho. Even at their age.

7. Arizona lost Ribeiro, but his days as a #1 center might've closed. Gagner's a wildcard, but overall i'd say an improvement.

8. I like Edmonton's additions on defense. But they killed their capspace with that Pouliot deal. Their upside is tempered, but they may push for the playoffs depending on the rest of their offseason.

9. Anaheim was very strong before and now they made their lineup leaner and meaner with their moves. Playoffs are a certainty and the question is more if they can get past LA in the playoffs.

10. Vancouver added Miller as a stopgap goaltender, but didn't do anything to address scoring. Rebuild seems fairly obvious, as the Sedins will likely continue to slide.

11. Minny will continue getting improvements from guys like Coyle and Heatley is addition through subtraction. Plenty of capspace to make further adjustments. They might want to add a proven defender.

12. As of now, Winnipeg is fine, but apparently everyone is on the table? wtf is that?

13. Nashville is looking for a top center. Once they get one, they'll be in the playoff hunt as well. Neal for scraps helps, even if he's a psycho.

14. Calgary is Vancouver's main competition, but imho they'll sign Ribeiro. Already showed interest in him. He's done as a #1 center, but still helps out Calgary, who could improve quite a bit with Hiller. Who knows. A lot of wildcards on the team.

this isn't in any predicted standings order, btw.

Sorry Edmonton haters, but I actually think Edmonton this year will be a team to watch out for.

They actually have NHL goaltending now with Scrivens and Fasth. Their stars are maturing: Hall, Hopkins, Eberle, Yakupov, Perron. They upgraded their 3rd line in size and production with Purcell and Pouliot. They signed Fayne, who is a top 4 D, and then they have defense like Darnell Nurse, Martin Marincin, and Oscar Klefbom who should start contributing next season.

On paper, they are a team to watch out for.

They've been that team on paper for years now and nothing to show for it. there's no way they make they playoffs

I honestly agree with that and I like the Leafs. The only reason I think they have a better chance is because the East.

I dont understand how Nonis is still employed. 2 of the 3 signings weren't even "change". All they did was go back a year and re-acquire players. And the core is aging again.

I like the Leafs, but I do see them worse than us and have a higher chance at the #1 than last year. I hope I'm wrong but the team just got much worse.

I am Canadian and as such I dump on Toronto as much as everyone else which is entirely good natured

But seriously I cannot for the life of me figure out what the hell Nonis is doing and I don't wish that on any club

your Phoenix should be Nashville, and then you need to include Arizona at the bottom there

Oops though frankly I would put Arizona and Nashville in same boat though believe Nashville will be a bit better with Rinne healthy but still on the bubble. Arizona I see closer to the bottom.

Top 6:
St. Louis
Anaheim
Dallas
Chicago
LA
Minnesota

Wildcards:
Colorado
San Jose

Potential to sneak in:
Nashville
Winnipeg

Dwellers:
Edmonton
Vancouver
Calgary
Arizona

I don't see any change in who the best 8 teams are in the West. I put the Sharks and AVs in the Wild Card because I see them as the only teams with reasonable question marks: San Jose - how will they handle the collapse, and another playoff exit. Colorado: last season their possession numbers didn't support their record. Still a top 8 team, but I don't see them having the same record without improving their possession game.

With Rinne healthy the Preds can make a push. They were great down the stetch with him back to full health. The Jets showed some improvement under Maurice. They have some good top 6 forwards, and everything else is mediocre. If Scheifele can breakout like he was showing more signs of before he got hurt (which is also when the Jets started looking like a .500 hockey club again) then the Jets could be a surprising team.

I think we're probably 5-8 points out of 8th.

Of course this team isn't going to become 1st, 2nd,3rd, or 4th in the standings, they will compete and could sneak into the bottom. What Linden and Benning are saying is 3-5 years down the road this team will be competing for 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th spots, right now no. They are going to compete to make the playoffs, and that's what matters, because if you make the playoffs then anything is possible. 1994.

I don't know how you don't have SJ in your top 8. They are still a good team. I think its a exact same 8 that makes it in this year as last.. in which order is up to debate.

I think Winnipeg takes a step back and may be at the very bottom of the western conference, edmonton will improve slightly i see them in the 9-11 spot, similarly where i see us.

I stopped reading at Edmonton.

I don't see Edmonton as a playoff team this year (although that's hard to believe considering how many high draft picks they've had in the last 5 years).

I think Vancouver has a shot and I think San Jose could be a surprise team to miss this next year as I think they might also go into transition. I think a lot depends on whether they decide to move either Thorton or Marleau to get a little bit younger.

I kind of see San Jose as moving into the same space as Vancouver and needing a minor retool next year.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, San Jose misses the playoffs next year and is forced to make significant personal changes at the deadline.

Vancouver has the talent to squeak into the playoffs, but only if they have significant bounce back years from, well, Everyone!

They got better in areas they needed to and Nurse and Klefbom will be ready to step in to the blueline. Their goaltending got better as well.

If you really think they don't have a shot with a stud 2nd line center in Draisatl, rookie or not. Big mean knuckle chucking Aulie, and Nurse/Klefbom on D as well as whatever other moves they'll make.

I cannot help you.

Even Calgary has a serious outside chance of making ti should they actually address their goal scoring or have players like Gaudreau step in.

My 8.

Anaheim

Chicago

St Louis

Colorado

Los Angeles (based on reg season not playoffs, two different teams really)

Minnesota

Dallas

San Jose

Outside looking in.

Edmonton

Arizona (weird to say that)

Vancouver

Winnipeg

Calgary

Nashville

I really don't believe we are more than a 1 line team right now with a smattering of potential 2nd line players. And in a western conference that got much tougher yesterday I do not see us in contention for anything more than a bubble spot say 9th or 10th at best

I would agree with this list.

Scary, but I stare at that list and think about where those top 8 are in their development and the ages of their relatively young cores, and it's hard for me to see any of the bottom 6 making the playoffs anytime soon.

Top 6:

St. Louis

Anaheim

Dallas

Chicago

LA

Minnesota

Wildcards:

Colorado

San Jose

Potential to sneak in:

Nashville

Winnipeg

Dwellers:

Edmonton

Vancouver

Calgary

Arizona

I don't see any change in who the best 8 teams are in the West. I put the Sharks and AVs in the Wild Card because I see them as the only teams with reasonable question marks: San Jose - how will they handle the collapse, and another playoff exit. Colorado: last season their possession numbers didn't support their record. Still a top 8 team, but I don't see them having the same record without improving their possession game.

With Rinne healthy the Preds can make a push. They were great down the stetch with him back to full health. The Jets showed some improvement under Maurice. They have some good top 6 forwards, and everything else is mediocre. If Scheifele can breakout like he was showing more signs of before he got hurt (which is also when the Jets started looking like a .500 hockey club again) then the Jets could be a surprising team.

I think we're probably 5-8 points out of 8th.

Your top 6 is imposssible, as 3 teams from each division will make it and the last 2 spots are wild cards. You only have 2 teams from the pacific in your top 6. As many have said before if Van doesn't get that top 3 division (top 6 spot) than they will not make it, as the central will produce 5 teams for the western conference as they are better. So we really should be looking at only the top 3 of the pacific.

Can we knock out any of the

LA

Ana

SJ

Probably not.

I would agree with this list.

Scary, but I stare at that list and think about where those top 8 are in their development and the ages of their relatively young cores, and it's hard for me to see any of the bottom 6 making the playoffs anytime soon.

I agree with the MJ Dawg but i think the sharks will start to fale and will clean house next summer. Blues not far behind cause theres only so many times a team can look dominance and good on paper but always come short in playoofs that team is the blues. Im not sold on anahiem esp with BB as coach and think theyll need to make ajustmints and will not always be top dog. Colorodo and lesser degree dallas and minny will challenge the kings and hawks in the postseason. I think the avs are bulding a solid team for the future and they know what there doing. Minny and dallas maybe to but lets see what they do befoe concludeing that. Winnepeg will suprise i think and squeak in. Oilers permanantly suck same with the flames and dont see preds and coyotes challenging how ever the coyotoes do suprise some times

Archived