The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion]Dustin Penner

Could be a good utility guy for the Canucks for the right price? Big body, good hands, but his conditioning is a question mark. If on his game he could play anywhere in the line up and be effective.

Canucks have some good skaters in the line up but IMO they need another power forward to match up with the size of the western conference- give Penner a shot?

EDIT: oops wrong forum, please move mods

Stop it with signing has been.

We need our kids to play,thats how you rebuild/re-tool, you let you're kids play and develop them. We have enough veteran (Sedins, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen) in our line-up to surround them.

Otherwise they are just wasted like Grabner, Shirokov, Hodgons, Schroeder.

We'll be just as competitive with our rookies in the lineup, than overpaying for a has been. Plus in 2-3 years, we'll be better because of it.

Could be a good utility guy for the Canucks for the right price? Big body, good hands, but his conditioning is a question mark. If on his game he could play anywhere in the line up and be effective.

Canucks have some good skaters in the line up but IMO they need another power forward to match up with the size of the western conference- give Penner a shot?

EDIT: oops wrong forum, please move mods

The guy forgets to show up all too often

Wrong section but for 1M I would take a chance on Steve Downie and Dustin Penner.

I'm not so sure about Downie. He has had a bad knee injury which required an op. and his return doesn't justify his salary level imo. If he takes a big cut and say 2 years, fine

• 3 weeks later...

Derek Dorsett has plenty of physicality and aggression to match up with the big bodies of the west, while Matthias and Richardson can also do their checking/ grinding jobs capably IMO. Unless we're not carrying a fighter, we can get him for the 13th forward, otherwise I'd agree that I just don't see the fit.

I honestly don't think we have room for Penner right now.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Vey

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Where does he fit?

And that lineup doesn't even have Hansen.

Reason he is not signed yet because he is fat and lazy much like Byfuglien which is why his name is in trade rumors and the Jets are exploring moving him despite being a productive player.

Would think a team like the Oilers sign him again to add some size to their forward group.

The Jets are looking to move Buff because they have some very good D prospects coming up. Buff is still a valuable commodity unlike Penner though so no they are similar at all.

I honestly don't think we have room for Penner right now.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Vey

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Where does he fit?

You're right we would need to make a trade (although I wouldn't have Horvat in the line up anyway). We have a logjam of 3rd/4th liners (and for that matter 5th-7th dmen).

I can't imagine starting the season with both Eriksson and Markstrom in the minors. One of those two are going to want to be traded and likely will. I would assume around training camp/pre-season. I think a forward and/or a dman would also be bundled in that package.

The Jets are looking to move Buff because they have some very good D prospects coming up. Buff is still a valuable commodity unlike Penner though so no they are similar at all.

Buff is a monster. That video of him taking in two players at once is golden.

He's a bigger and slower Kassian. One who really doesn't intimidate.

He has the same soft hands, puck skills and neat ability to make plays. Skill IS hard to replace? The team would have a more dangerous look, and would pose a size mismatch that other teams have to counter. Even without superior work ethic we'd be a more dangerous team. The idea has merit at least.

He also would be more valuable if he got in shape, and could be counted on to check and dig on the boards.

So do we take on a guy who has to be managed, and the coach picks and chooses when to use the guy versus a self motivated guy who can be counted on?

My view is no. The team is building and needs good habits reinforced in its young guys, we're not a battle hardened veteran crew anymore, self motivated otherwise (why else would we fall apart last year?). So these are not habits we should let further infiltrate our identity.

Archived