The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Boston Offer Sheets

Boston is in some fairly serious cap trouble right now, they only have 18 players signed, have $1.6 million in available cap space, and have two big RFA's they need to re-sign.

There are two players that I would think about giving an offer sheet to.

Reilly Smith, Torey Krug, both are RFA's, both are 23 years of age. An offer sheet up to max $ amount of $3,364,391 consititutes a compensation of a 2nd round pick.

Yes, next year is a deep draft, and yes, Canucks could very well have a pick in the 30-40 range in the 2nd round next year, but these are players who are already impact players at the NHL level, wherein a 2nd round pick is maybe a %33 chance to even make the NHL.

Boston would be hard pressed to sign and retain Smith and Krug at those prices...although, not sure if Jim Benning would turn around and give his old team the middle finger like that.

Boston has 1.1 million in cap space so if we offer sheeted about 3 million for Reilly Smith, if they matched they'd 2 million over the cap with 5 roster spots to fill. But they can't match it unless they plan on moving a big player.

It'll be fun to see what they do since they have to make a trade or move because they can't go into the starting game without having a 23 man roster that is cap compliant.

In reality though, Benning won't screw his former team over even though I'd love him to do so.

JB won't go offer sheet route he has already stated that. Even if he did no way these teams don't match.

Only option is try trading our RFA dmen (Tanev) for a RFA forward perhaps. Smith for Tanev??

I guess you haven't seen how deep the Bruins are on their defence...stranger things have happened, so I suppose even this is possible.

Yes and no. As much as I'd love to take Smith from them after they already lost Iginla, there's quite the chance that they'd match and I could see another team do the same thing to us if our youth movement pans out and several of our R.F.A's hit the market at the same time in the future. In fact that seems to be how bad relationships started, like when Vanek was signed to an offer sheet for like $7 M. Though it would've been a steal, yet there's next to no way that a team lets their rising young assets leave, much less in a predatory way such as this.

Pretty much what I figured, JB not going to screw over his old...by like 5 weeks, team like that.

Was more of a fantasy/hopeful thought...be nice to get Smith for basically a 2nd, and at the same time stick it to the Bruins hehe.

Like many of you said, trade is definitely in the cards, Boston needs to sign 5 more players, with $1.6 million in cap space...math doesn't exactly add up. :P Especially when you throw in that 2 of those players Boston is going to sign, Smith/Krug, will likely get at around $2.5-$3.5 million each.

Boston is going to have to likely move at least 2 pieces, if they want to re-sign those 2, and be cap compliant at the start of the year, or maybe only re-sign one of Smith/Krug, and trade the other for players on ELC, or Prospects.

Archived