The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Transition Year = Develop Players

Jiggs50

This is the most annoying assumption that circulates these boards in my opinion. There is no model or guarantee that by drafting top 5 that you are to be drafting a superstar game changer. It is about drafting well in the position that you draft in. And also a bit of luck of course.

Look at teams like Boston, Anaheim, Montreal, NYR, St. Louis, Philly, Detroit etc. None of these teams have drafted top 5 consistently yet, they are consistently competitive and continue to develop important and good players. Augmented by savvy trades and astute free agent signings, these teams largely competitive without the need to 'TANK'. Largely their first lines are not made up of top 5 draft picks. Top-line players and top 2 defencemen can still be drafted later. Think Lucic, Perry-Getzlaf, Stastny, S. Weber, Subban, Giroux, Datsyuk-Zetterberg etc.

All I ask is please top acting like brats and wishing we would tank. Listen to yourself for a second: "I"m upset because we're not losing enough. This sucks. Boo-hoo, we'll never be elite". Do us all a favour and STFU. It's disrespectful to the players, the owners and the organization and of course the rest of us fans to wish this. High quality players are available at all different stages of the draft, they just need to be developed properly and of course given an opportunity when and once they've deserved it and shown they can compete at this level.

Speaking of which, to myself I don't believe any of our young prospects have earned their summoning to the big club yet. Not one has dominated or done anything substantial at the AHL level (except maybe Vey). Therefore I think they all need additional grooming. I don't believe any of our prospects will make the team next year out of the gate. Horvat may get a look for 9 games and if he's good enough to stick then I'd support that, but the rest will all start down in Utica...as they should. Why and where people see Jensen fitting into this lineup is a mystery to me. Let's see him dominate at the AHL level first (if he can). If a player needs to be parachuted onto the Sedin line to be successful at this level (for all of 4 games), then they don't belong here. Last year was his first year in N. American professional hockey and I wouldn't argue that it was that successful. He needs a full year down there. Plus it would be nice to hear about a line in Utica made up of Shinkaruk-Gaunce-Jensen tearing it up!!

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Mathias/Horvat-Vey

Dorsett-Mathias/Horvat-Hansen

Richardson

Sestito

Call ups:

Jensen

Gaunce

Shink

Fox

Zalewski

Lain

Grenier

Archibald

First Line:

Sedin Sedin Blank (to be an elite first liner you have to get over 70 points, I dont see Vrbata as a first liner.

Seond Line:

Burrows Bonino Vrbata

To be a bonifide elite second line these guys need 140 points. That is 45 plus points a peice. I can see it happen.

Third Line:

Higgins Vey Kassian

This line needs 35 ish points each to be an elite third line. I can see it happen but iffy.

Fourth Line:

Sestito Matthias Dorsett

This could be a very affective fourth line and potentially be our best in a long while.

So we still need a player for first line imo to truly compete. We need to make a trade. We need some one like Erickson from Boston. He broke 70 points three times. Then we can trade one of Higgins or Burrows and infuse some youth. Then we have a contender imo. Plus we have the cap space.

That is just the forwards. Defence is a different story.

Any thoughts?

No, I meant unintelligible. When you post incorrect stats, they're unintelligible.

Read a book, maybe your intelligence will benefit.

unintelligible = "impossible to understand." If you are able to correct him on that gaffe, you are perfectly able to understand his mistake.

incorrect stats are exactly that. "incorrect" and posting those incorrect stats, would mean his post is "faulty"

Try looking up a dictionary and a thesaurus before trying to correct someone when your own post is "faulty" then you will avoid coming off looking like you have your "foot in your mouth".

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Those of us who've been fans of this team long-term know that this transition period will require quite a bit of patience. The Canucks have come off a bad year performance wise. Performance dictates the return that one gets on any potential trade talks. I don't think any GM wants to put down dollars on "performance potential" that may not be realized or repeated. In the case of Kesler, JB was hamstrung by the fact that Kesler gave him the option of two teams; one of which was constrained against the cap. And above all, GMs were skeptical that Kesler could repeat his Selke winning performance. JB did what he could with what options he had which were absolutely limited by a player that didn't want to be here.

I'm willing to wait this out as long as it takes for this team to become competitive again and win the Cup. I'll drop dead as a Canuck fan before I switch team allegiances.

No, I meant unintelligible. When you post incorrect stats, they're unintelligible.

Read a book, maybe your intelligence will benefit.

Go to grammar school, unintelligible means impossible to understand as in scribbling or gibberish. Not incorrect statements.

All the best on your attitude hope it works for you!

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata/Burrows

Vrbata/Burrows/Higgins/Jensen - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins/Burrows - Matthias - Vey/Hansen

Dorsett - Richardson - Vey/Hansen

- Horvat might get a 9 game tryout

- Jensen only makes the team if he plays lights out in the preseason

I just want Connor mcdavid

If ownership and management were smart they would look at the excellent forwRd depth and adequate defensive depth we have in our system now and they would just tank for 2 yrs to get mcdavid and a top d man and then the rebuild would be complete

What's ownership supposed to do, tell his management team to tank?

What's management supposed to do, tell his coach to tell his players to tank?

What are the players supposed to do, tell each other to not try hard?

Everybody is fighting for a job. Nobody is gonna suck on purpose.

First Line:

Sedin Sedin Blank (to be an elite first liner you have to get over 70 points, I dont see Vrbata as a first liner.

Boston, the President Trophy Winners:

Krejci-69 Points (80 GP)

Bergeron-62 Points (80 GP)

Iginla-61 Points (78 GP)

Lucic-59 Points (80 GP)

Marchand-53 Points (82 GP)

Smith-51 Points (82 GP)

Chicago:

Sharp-78 Points (82 GP)

Kane-69 Points (69 GP)

Toews-68 Points (76 GP)

Hossa-60 Points (72 GP)

Saad-47 Points (78 GP)

Colorado:

Duchene-70 Points (71 GP)

Landeskog-65 Points (81 GP)

O'Reily-64 Points (80 GP)

MacKinnon-63 Points (82 GP)

Stastny-60 Points (71 GP)

McGinn-38 Points (79 GP)

LA:

Kopitar-70 Points (82 GP)

Carter-50 Points (72 GP)

Williams-43 Points (82 GP)

Richards-41 Points (82 GP)

St. Louis:

Steen-62 Points (68 GP)

Oshie-60 Points (79 GP)

Backes-57 Points (74 GP)

Schwartz-56 Points (80 GP)

Tarasenko-43 Points (64 GP)

Don't randomly make up point totals.

Boston, the President Trophy Winners:

Krejci-69 Points (80 GP)

Bergeron-62 Points (80 GP)

Iginla-61 Points (78 GP)

Lucic-59 Points (80 GP)

Marchand-53 Points (82 GP)

Smith-51 Points (82 GP)

Chicago:

Sharp-78 Points (82 GP)

Kane-69 Points (69 GP)

Toews-68 Points (76 GP)

Hossa-60 Points (72 GP)

Saad-47 Points (78 GP)

Colorado:

Duchene-70 Points (71 GP)

Landeskog-65 Points (81 GP)

O'Reily-64 Points (80 GP)

MacKinnon-63 Points (82 GP)

Stastny-60 Points (71 GP)

McGinn-38 Points (79 GP)

LA:

Kopitar-70 Points (82 GP)

Carter-50 Points (72 GP)

Williams-43 Points (82 GP)

Richards-41 Points (82 GP)

St. Louis:

Steen-62 Points (68 GP)

Oshie-60 Points (79 GP)

Backes-57 Points (74 GP)

Schwartz-56 Points (80 GP)

Tarasenko-43 Points (64 GP)

Don't randomly make up point totals.

How about you ask me where I get my information you rude person. I mean you can at least cop a feel!

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2011/9/27/2452941/common-misconceptions-how-much-should-that-forward-score

Although you do make a good point. That article is from 2011 and your point gives me some hope for this year.

It's time for Hansen to go. His best year, like others, was 2011 when he played with Malholtra and Torres. Manny is 6'4" 220 and We all know how Torres plays. Not exactly hard to elevate your game and play physical when guys like that are your line mates.

Hansen has wheels, but not enough of a leader and not the right skill set for this team any longer. He needs to make room for the younger players.

4 years ago regular season games were boring cuz we were a playoff lock

1 year go regular season games were exciting cuz we weren't a playoff lock

this year regular season games will be exciting cuz of trying to make the playoffs and seeing how a plethora of young new players will perform.

Just seeing how

Bonino

Kassian

Jensen

Horvat

Vey

Dorsett

Vrbata

Sbisa

Matthias

play, will be exciting in and of itself.

It's going to be a great year seeing what kind of team we have for the next decade.

Don't forget Dat Stache

It's time for Hansen to go. His best year, like others, was 2011 when he played with Malholtra and Torres. Manny is 6'4" 220 and We all know how Torres plays. Not exactly hard to elevate your game and play physical when guys like that are your line mates.

Hansen has wheels, but not enough of a leader and not the right skill set for this team any longer. He needs to make room for the younger players.

no, Hansen's best year was the lockout shortened season. He had 27 points in 47 games which translates to .57 points per game. In 2011 he had 29 points and less goals than he did in '12-'13 while playing the full 82 games which translates to .35 points per game. Last year everyone had a bad year under Tortorella and all the injuries sustained by the team in Torts' system.

Every year should be used to develop young players whether they're cup contenders or basement dwellers. That's a concept that the previous management of the past 44 years failed to understand.

Hit the nail on the head! GMJB and TL know this too, it's exciting, after all these years we will finally have a management team that will BUILD the team on an ongoing basis. Not just manage it.

I just want Connor mcdavid

If ownership and management were smart they would look at the excellent forwRd depth and adequate defensive depth we have in our system now and they would just tank for 2 yrs to get mcdavid and a top d man and then the rebuild would be complete

Not good business sense or team building sense. Besides even if we finish last there is no guarantee we would pick first overall. Then what, bring the kid into a losing environment? There are just so many things wrong with this idea. Detroit hasn't missed the playoffs in 23years. They generally draft middle of the pack to later in the round. They have managed to develope prospects, find franchise players and stay competitive without tanking.

Jensen will play in NHL I think.

Develop year is right.

Hope they finish in bottom, hope miller can't take media but play lights out and we trade him at deadline for a pick or two.

... Thanks for your opinion. Go cheer for the Oilers... You'll love them. They finish bottom all the time

This is the most annoying assumption that circulates these boards in my opinion. There is no model or guarantee that by drafting top 5 that you are to be drafting a superstar game changer. It is about drafting well in the position that you draft in. And also a bit of luck of course.

Look at teams like Boston, Anaheim, Montreal, NYR, St. Louis, Philly, Detroit etc. None of these teams have drafted top 5 consistently yet, they are consistently competitive and continue to develop important and good players. Augmented by savvy trades and astute free agent signings, these teams largely competitive without the need to 'TANK'. Largely their first lines are not made up of top 5 draft picks. Top-line players and top 2 defencemen can still be drafted later. Think Lucic, Perry-Getzlaf, Stastny, S. Weber, Subban, Giroux, Datsyuk-Zetterberg etc.

All I ask is please top acting like brats and wishing we would tank. Listen to yourself for a second: "I"m upset because we're not losing enough. This sucks. Boo-hoo, we'll never be elite". Do us all a favour and STFU. It's disrespectful to the players, the owners and the organization and of course the rest of us fans to wish this. High quality players are available at all different stages of the draft, they just need to be developed properly and of course given an opportunity when and once they've deserved it and shown they can compete at this level.

Speaking of which, to myself I don't believe any of our young prospects have earned their summoning to the big club yet. Not one has dominated or done anything substantial at the AHL level (except maybe Vey). Therefore I think they all need additional grooming. I don't believe any of our prospects will make the team next year out of the gate. Horvat may get a look for 9 games and if he's good enough to stick then I'd support that, but the rest will all start down in Utica...as they should. Why and where people see Jensen fitting into this lineup is a mystery to me. Let's see him dominate at the AHL level first (if he can). If a player needs to be parachuted onto the Sedin line to be successful at this level (for all of 4 games), then they don't belong here. Last year was his first year in N. American professional hockey and I wouldn't argue that it was that successful. He needs a full year down there. Plus it would be nice to hear about a line in Utica made up of Shinkaruk-Gaunce-Jensen tearing it up!!

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Mathias/Horvat-Vey

Dorsett-Mathias/Horvat-Hansen

Richardson

Sestito

Call ups:

Jensen

Gaunce

Shink

Fox

Zalewski

Lain

Grenier

Archibald

Jensen might make the lineup this year because at 16 he was playing in a mens league, ok it was the danish league but it was still a 16 year old playing against men. Then he had 2 seasons in the OHL around a point per game followed by a season where he was 11th in the SHL in goals as a 19 year old he has represented Denmark 2 at the world championship and was point per game in the world under 20. He may have only had 21 points last year in the AHL (most of them goals) but he had a very slow start and turned it on near the end of the season also his 4 good games with the sedin line was only Henrik and Burrows, and we all know the season Burrows had last year. I think he has a very good chance of getting a spot next year but he does have to earn it through camp and pre-season.

I agree completely with you on the drafting stuff though people seem to be too caught up in the top few picks they forget that you can get great players later on in the draft.

I think this year will continue to see what we began to see last year: younger roster players taking up larger roles, while we await to usher in the next wave (Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Corrado etc...)

Last year Tanev, Kassian and Lack took steps forward in their development. I see a continuation of this.

Predictions:

-Tanev solidifies himself as a top-4. Adds offensive dynamic to game, increased average TOI/game

-Kassian has a breakout season in a top-6 role (20 ish goals, 45-50 points with PP time). Torts wasn't all bad...though he held him back offensively his defensive play at the end of season was miles ahead compared to the beginning of season.

-Lack refines his technical game further. Puts up really good numbers, albeit in a backup role. In a couple years, we will have yet another goaltending controversy.

-Bonino breaks 50 pts, and confirms himself as a 2C

-Vey cracks the NHL roster permanently. (albeit not putting up huge numbers)

Archived