Dorsett Richardson Hansen

Mathias

Sestito

Bieksa Hamhuis

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Stanton

Webber

Corrodo

I wouldn't mind one more defencemen for depth. Sami Salo?

no, Hansen's best year was the lockout shortened season. He had 27 points in 47 games which translates to .57 points per game. In 2011 he had 29 points and less goals than he did in '12-'13 while playing the full 82 games which translates to .35 points per game. Last year everyone had a bad year under Tortorella and all the injuries sustained by the team in Torts' system.

And he is very responsible defensively and hard on the puck.

I would rather the team get a bonafide second line winger to play with Burrows and Bonino.

Kassian and Hansen belong on the third line so that leaves Markstrom and the unknown Benning artstry to pull this one off.

If Kassian or Hansen /Markstrom can bring the team another proven NHL 1st./2nd line winger it has to be considered.

And he is very responsible defensively and hard on the puck.

I would rather the team get a bonafide second line winger to play with Burrows and Bonino.

Kassian and Hansen belong on the third line so that leaves Markstrom and the unknown Benning artstry to pull this one off.

If Kassian or Hansen /Markstrom can bring the team another proven NHL 1st./2nd line winger it has to be considered.

I think it's very possible kassian can make that next step to the second line. If he can't, JB can still make a trade during the season

We need to start bringing kids up to start their NHL development, not just on the 3rd and 4th lines but have them playing with veterans so that they can be groomed properly. Sure we could go with this and have quite a bit of success:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Kassian - Bonino - Higgins

Hansen - Matthias - Burrows

Dorsett - Richardson - Sestito

Instead I'd rather us try this:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (big body, right handed shot, bridge contract, primed for a breakout)

Vbrata - Bonino - Shinkaruk (last player cut from training camp last year, he's ready)

Jensen - Vey - Hansen (Danish connection, relatively young line)

Matthias - Richardson - Horvat/Burrows (have the kids learn from a Cup winning vet)

There's no way Jensen,Horvat and Shinkaruk can make the team without a trade.

I think Shinkaruk is the odd man out, Jensen has shown he has skill at the NHL level and Horvat would have to go back to junior (useless for his development)

Shinkaruk can go play top minutes in Utica, same as Gaunce.

There's no way Jensen,Horvat and Shinkaruk can make the team without a trade.

I think Shinkaruk is the odd man out, Jensen has shown he has skill at the NHL level and Horvat would have to go back to junior (useless for his development)

Shinkaruk can go play top minutes in Utica, same as Gaunce.

Shinkaruk hasn't played a meaningful game since December of 2013. He will most likely start in Utica, no point rushing him.

• 6 months later...

What will decide a lot is this summer. Matthius, Dorset and Richardson are UFA...do we have propspects that can fill their role ?On defense Sbisa, Webber and Stanton are also FA's

That's a lot of scope to make chnages, the question do the prospects have the umph to make the jump.

Frankly I don't see any of our prospects toppling any of those players

What will decide a lot is this summer. Matthius, Dorset and Richardson are UFA...do we have propspects that can fill their role ?On defense Sbisa, Webber and Stanton are also FA's

That's a lot of scope to make chnages, the question do the prospects have the umph to make the jump.

Frankly I don't see any of our prospects toppling any of those players

That isnt the right scope to make changes though. Changing the bottom 6 and depth d is what the canucks usually do. Its the core that needs to be changed now.

That isnt the right scope to make changes though. Changing the bottom 6 and depth d is what the canucks usually do. Its the core that needs to be changed now.

If you're recommending changing the core ( & u might be correct) that constitutes a rebuild which we have been told is not the game plan. Or if they do chnage their minds there will be further slippage in ticket sales and IMO with the tumble of the Cdn $ most Cdn teams would have problems with that including the Canucks. Aqualini is looking IMO carefully at his budget and what further decline might mean to the clubs bottom line.

I just want Connor mcdavid

If ownership and management were smart they would look at the excellent forwRd depth and adequate defensive depth we have in our system now and they would just tank for 2 yrs to get mcdavid and a top d man and then the rebuild would be complete

LOL no...

Benning has said that he has no intention of trading prospects or draft picks.

He has also said that he wants to make the playoffs and that is important for the development of the younger players (something to do with the winning culture)

Does this mean that Benning wants to hang on to the veteran core to mentor the prospects? Or does he just want a winning environment?

How much latitude does Benning have while remaining true to what he has said?

“I think what we’re trying to do this year is to bring in guys to support our core. You look at Radim Vrbata, he’s going to support the Sedins and help take the load off of them on the scoring side of things. We tried to add depth to our forward group, so we’re going to play 4 lines so that we don’t have to play our core guys as much as they did last year."

Benning also said he won't hesitate asking players to waive no-movement clauses if he thinks it will help the organization.

"If we need to approach a player about asking him to waive his no-trade clause, we're willing to do that."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Benning+believes+team+core+Canucks+need+more+depth+right+coach/9871497/story.html#ixzz3OxCzcphM

Benning can ask all he wants. Be interesting to see who he can convince to leave.

Jim Benning

TSN1040 was talking about this yesterday afternoon. Sounds like it's status quo for this season. But in the offseason he will probably try and move some vets for picks, or prospects. After reading the Day with Trevor Linden. Sounds like the team is massively focused on scouting (great to hear). Even Trevor is taking trips to help scout players. The rationale for not trading vets now is if they say no.

Now you've got a player that knows the team wants to move him, and you'd run into a situation like Toronto a few years ago.

In short don't expect any changes by the deadline, unless something comes out of the blue. Changes will happen in the offseason.

I think there is too much despondency on the these boards.

Personally I think we have only played a handful of games where we deserved to lose. I think this spell we are in at present seems to be more down to illness.

Any of us who have had "actual flu" knows that even if you are healthy it take about 2 weeks to fully recover and that is not allowing for the time just before you realise you are coming down with it because you are feeling off colour, maybe 3 weeks in total.

Along with the crappy feeling of fever and headaches, comes weakness and muscle pain. Now given that we have only lost players for at most 3 days I marvel at how some of them are playing at all.

If 2 people in the team are suffering from flu symptoms your team is basically --------, especially if you are playing a top team.

I am happy to let this road spell come and go before re-evaluating their performances. Hopefully by that time, given that they are in close company with each other they will all have had the bug and we can get back to kicking ass.

Archived