The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Further improving our defense?

Right now as I look at our roster, assuming we are done in FA and can re-sign Tanev and Kass, we have 1-2 many wingers, and too many d-men as well, however our defense is less experienced. We have some cap room still if we wanted a top d-man, which I believe we should pursue since Benning seems to be building a competitive roster. As our roster currently stands:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Matthias-Vey

Hansen-Richardson-Dorsett

Sestito-Jensen

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Stanton

Corrado

Miller

Lack

Markstrom

A guy who's name has been on the market seemingly forever is Keith Yandle. He is a great top pairing kind of guy that we need, and he just seems to need a change of scenery.

My proposal:

To Yotes:

Higgins - Clears some cap space for us, makes our offensive depth realistic, and Yotes need to add good depth wingers.

Sbisa - I know we just got him but he is a quality trade chip as he is still young and still developing. Good addition to a young defense Arizona is building.

2nd round pick - Giving up a 1st would be dumb, but I think a 2nd in a quality draft is pretty good

To Canucks:

Yandle

While we still need to find a way to move Markstrom, this is one trade that helps us in a lot of regards. The roster looks a lot more complete after this trade.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Vey-Matthias-Hansen

Sestito-Richardson-Dorsett

Jensen-Starts in AHL, comes around when players get hurt.

Hammer-Bieksa

Edler-Yandle

Stanton-Tanev

Corrado- He gets more AHL experience and if anyone gets hurt he can be called up as well.

Thoughts?

It would cost us way more to get him. He put up 53 points last year (he's a dman, but would've lead the nucks in points), he's 27 and has a reasonable cap hit. He also doesn't have a NTC. Yandle is one of the most underrated players in the league and I think Arizona realizes that if they were to trade him, they would get shafted. Don't expect Yandle to be moved unless they get a top line center in return or something else significant.

Trade somebody from the bottom 6 and go after Del Zotto instead. Cheaper, younger, wouldn't cost us anything and might be able to rejuvenate his and Edler's career.

Archived