The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's the limit on trading 1st round picks?

Probably no limit at all, but what GM in their right mind would make a deal for a pick in a draft where they won't be around to see it.

Typically draft classes get identified 3 to 4 years ahead of time. Scouts follow these players until they're drafted, so teams are well aware of which players will be in that draft class and how strong a class it is. That's how the value of a pick can then be determined.

So I'd guess that 3 years or so would be the outside practical limit for trading of future picks.

Good question. Not sure anyone has asked it and doubt if anyone has an answer. I am certain that if there was an attempt to commit draft choices beyond say a 5 year window the Commissioner, not to mention the other team, would have something to say about it.

I don't think there is a limit it just makes more sense to trade that year or the following year. Usually scouts already have an idea of which draft will be weak and which ones are deep (for example people already talk about next year being a very deep draft). Once it gets outside of a year it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to predict how your team is going to do and trade that pick.

Archived