The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Homeless in Vancouver: Cash Up or Dash off?

Dimeadozen

Leading up from the recent events in New York city, where a wealthy Asian man tried to shine light on the growing homelessness problem around North America

(story: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestar.com.my%2FLifestyle%2FPeople%2F2014%2F07%2F02%2FChinese-tycoons-homeless-lunch-leaves-bizarre-aftertaste&ei=XjC3U_6wJMT2oAT984CADQ&usg=AFQjCNEd2knQZ1yt2c-1ltMmWKo_-dOtWg&sig2=b8BWrvyEMAzHeIhyDaFiYA&bvm=bv.70138588,d.cGU)

I would like to pose a simple question to our readers, Do you, or have you ever handed money to a homeless person? And if so, did you feel good about doing so? .

In my experience I have NEVER given money to a homeless person, and do not feel the need to do so at all. We should not feel guilty for not providing them what the state fails to do, we should not feel the burden of helping these misguided human beings who fail to recognize the state of their own hopelessness. Many of these people make significant amounts of cash tax-free money from collecting cans, selling antiques, going charity to charity, collecting welfare and income assistance checks without ever paying taxes. By some estimates an average homeless man in Vancouver makes around $1800-2400 a month (welfare + $30 a day from recycle bottles, in addition to gifts/begging on the street), without paying tax that works out to be a pretty decent income, surprising? You be the judge!

As a result I welcome your thoughts on this valuable topic are welcomed, as I am writing a paper on poverty in Vancouver and could use your opinions!

Leading up from the recent events in New York city, where a wealthy Asian man tried to shine light on the growing homelessness problem around North America

(story: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestar.com.my%2FLifestyle%2FPeople%2F2014%2F07%2F02%2FChinese-tycoons-homeless-lunch-leaves-bizarre-aftertaste&ei=XjC3U_6wJMT2oAT984CADQ&usg=AFQjCNEd2knQZ1yt2c-1ltMmWKo_-dOtWg&sig2=b8BWrvyEMAzHeIhyDaFiYA&bvm=bv.70138588,d.cGU)

I would like to pose a simple question to our readers, Do you, or have you ever handed money to a homeless person? And if so, did you feel good about doing so? .

In my experience I have NEVER given money to a homeless person, and do not feel the need to do so at all. We should not feel guilty for not providing them what the state fails to do, we should not feel the burden of helping these misguided human beings but for whatever reason they feel society owns them a lot more than they get!

Thoughts on this valuable topic are welcomed, as I am writing a paper on poverty in Vancouver and could use your opinions!

I've given to homeless people before, but only the vulnerable ones/nice ones. If a homeless person smiles at me I feel inclined to help him... But I don't give anything that could harm or put the person at disadvantage. I think food is the best you can give someone as they cant use it to harm others or themselves...

I think food is the best you can give someone as they cant use it to harm others or themselves..

Food is often the least thing these guys need, they can get plenty of food almost anywhere in the city. A lot of the public seem to think homeless people are always hungry that is not the case. A lot of them need the basics necessities which only pure cash can buy: toothbrushes, new clothing, cigarettes, shampoo, etc..

There is a big debate whether or not to ever give money to a homeless, and how by doing so you only perpetuate their existence rather than letting them work their way out of their situation!

It boggles the mind that an ultra classy city like Vancouver still has homeless people around on some of our finest streets. Based on all the city taxes and fees we pay I am sure there can be a by-law passed that will allow the police to round up all homeless people from major streets in downtown and restrict them into a "designated" area in Vancouver where they can reside away from the public eye. There can be no good to anyone to see homeless people on intersections of the most beautiful streets of Vancouver, sooner or later this issue has to be addressed!

In my experience I have NEVER given money to a homeless person, and do not feel the need to do so at all. We should not feel guilty for not providing them what the state fails to do, we should not feel the burden of helping these misguided human beings who fail to recognize the state of their own hopelessness. Many of these people make significant amounts of cash tax-free money from collecting cans, selling antiques, going charity to charity, collecting welfare and income assistance checks without ever paying taxes. By some estimates an average homeless man in Vancouver makes around $1800-2400 a month (welfare + $30 a day from recycle bottles, in addition to gifts/begging on the street), without paying tax that works out to be a pretty decent income, surprising? You be the judge!

As a result I welcome your thoughts on this valuable topic are welcomed, as I am writing a paper on poverty in Vancouver and could use your opinions!

You need to realize that the current monetary system of central bank-issued, government-fiat, debt-based currency coupled with the inherently dishonest practice of fractional reserve banking by the commercial banks is the root cause of monetary inflation that is eroding away at the purchasing power of people's earnings...especially the middle and lower classes.

This system is legally sanctioned by the state/government, so what are you suggest we about it?

It boggles the mind that an ultra classy city like Vancouver still has homeless people around on some of our finest streets. Based on all the city taxes and fees we pay I am sure there can be a by-law passed that will allow the police to round up all homeless people from major streets in downtown and restrict them into a "designated" area in Vancouver where they can reside away from the public eye. There can be no good to anyone to see homeless people on intersections of the most beautiful streets of Vancouver, sooner or later this issue has to be addressed!

Well I can safely say you will never ever become mayor of the city. It's been done time and time again, and for some reason governments never learn.

I personally don't have a problem with them in the city. It's only a problem when you get the ones that are aggressive and commit repeated theft (like the ones in the US of A).

I don't go out of my way to give out money or goods to the homeless, although I would seriously consider doing so if they simply showed some courtesy or put a smile on my face. Most I've ever given away is about $4 in one go.

I've talked with a couple before on Granville St, and I can say that some are actually pretty nice guys/gals. Can't say much for East Vancouver though... But from watching documentaries (street nurses, VPD's The Beat, Insite), a lot of them seem like good people who just can't beat their addiction.

… As a result I welcome your thoughts on this valuable topic are welcomed, as I am writing a paper on poverty in Vancouver and could use your opinions!

Colleges and universities are done for the summer and because of the teacher's strike, there's no summer school for kids.

I've heard this bogus "I'm writing a paper" story before and I suspect you're nothing but a troll, mostly likely the one known as "RussianFan". Not biting.

Colleges and universities are done for the summer and because of the teacher's strike, there's no summer school for kids.

I've heard this bogus "I'm writing a paper" story before and I suspect you're nothing but a troll, mostly likely the one known as "RussianFan". Not biting.

Oh, right... Good nab.

While most people panhandling are the real deal. Things are not always as they seem.

Years ago when I worked downtown Victoria I'd always see this guy pan handling. Sometimes I'd give him some change and go on about my business. Then one day I saw him get up and go over to a pretty nice car, stuff the meter and sit right back down. The guy drove himself downtown everyday, paid to park and panhandled.

A few years ago a buddy of mine and I made a trip to Ukraine to visit another buddy. While we were there we saw a very pregnant woman panhandling. I was going to give her some money when my buddy who lives there told me she's always in the same spot and has been pregnant for three years straight. Anyone can panhandle I guess. Might as well jazz it up a bit.

By some estimates an average homeless man in Vancouver makes around $1800-2400 a month (welfare + $30 a day from recycle bottles, in addition to gifts/begging on the street), without paying tax that works out to be a pretty decent income, surprising? You be the judge!

By some estimates, people who arn't homeless are disgusting, abhorrent people that don't care a lick for those less fortunate than them.

I can pull random "estimates" out of my butt as well, only thing is, I'm pretty sure mine holds more truth than yours.

You be the judge!

If you ever given a homeless person money, how did you feel after you done the act? Do you support the notion of giving cash to homeless people? Or would you rather donate to charities and hope they distribute the money fairly? In terms of homeless people in Vancouver, do you feel like our homeless people are better off than their peers in other large metropolitan cities around North America?

So because some of your hard-earned income was legally stolen from you with the implied use of violence from the municipal government, you now feel you have the right to have the application of violent force directed at someone else?

Do two wrongs make a right?

Or why don't you round them up yourself?

I've given to homeless people before, but only the vulnerable ones/nice ones. If a homeless person smiles at me I feel inclined to help him... But I don't give anything that could harm or put the person at disadvantage. I think food is the best you can give someone as they cant use it to harm others or themselves...

Same here. I usually ask if they'd like something to eat and then pop into the 7-11 to grab them a sandwich. I do feel a little guilty just walking by, I try to at least acknowledge they are there even if I don't give them anything, especially if they are friendly or people I see everyday.

I did walk by a guy who asked me for money for food. So instead, I bought some food from the market and offered it to him. He declined and then got on his fairly new looking bike and rode off.

I am more inclined to give money to buskers, even if they aren't great.

I did once. Was with a girl I thought that showing my generosity would impress her. Turned out that she was not even worth my time to impress and I tried getting my 2 bucks back but the homeless person was gone.

Funny thing though. Exact same situation with a different girl, again passed by a homeless person on the street, but this time not only did I give the bum nothing, but I openly mocked the person after we passed him by and the girl joined in the fun.

Archived