The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV - time one of the best Canuck coaches in history got some respect

Canuckler87

AV's composure and ability to remain level was a huge attribute in his favour. Coaches lose it and get emotional but it pulls their focus away...AV had the ability to quickly bounce back after bad calls, etc. and didn't remain stuck in them. Considering what kind of fire our team came under, he maintained a pretty even keel.

I always admired the man and will continue to do so. Loved that he saw at least partial success after moving on...some affirmation that he is on track and a solid coach.

I enjoyed his tenure and watching him mature into a very good coach. I stop at very good and won't call him great because he suffered from tunnel vision at times. His lack of ability or willingness to adjust on the fly (2011 and 2014) may have cost him a Stanley Cup.

There just appeared to be times he was out coached / or out maneuvered and by the time he adjusted it was too late.

He was a very good coach and still is. I believe he had the players respect and was still able to win. That coupled with his run here in this day and age is admirable.

I always thought AV was a great coach. The Rome thing that everyone keeps mentioning, I didn't mind it at all. At the time, Rome was playing better then Ballard (even Ballard stated that) so he deserved to play. The Rome hit in the playoffs didn't cause us to lose. Good teams put that stuff behind them, step up and carry on until the job is done. It is a stretch to make Rome the scapegoat. Both Ballard and Rome are now history so it doesn't really matter anymore.....neither are household names.....I couldn't even tell you where they are playing now.

AV always had my respect. In fact I argued quite often about it with his legion of CDC haters... ...and anyone who seriously believes that "anyone" could have achieved the results that he did, knows less than nothing about what it takes to be an NHL coach.

The coach that didn't believe in practicing face offs?

The coach that didn't believe in practicing the penalty shot?

The coach that let the players coach themselves on the power play?

The coach that gave the players (never went into) the dressing room?

The coach that is 3 - 12 vs Darryl Sutter in the past 3 playoffs?

THAT coach?

Alain Vigneault wears no clothes!

The coach that didn't believe in practicing face offs?

The coach that didn't believe in practicing the penalty shot?

The coach that let the players coach themselves on the power play?

The coach that gave the players (never went into) the dressing room?

The coach that is 3 - 12 vs Darryl Sutter in the past 3 playoffs?

THAT coach?

Alain Vigneault wears no clothes!

Speaking of "no clothes", all of these points are unverified garbage.

AV's greatest talent was his ability to sell himself to management, in that sense he's brilliant.

He was given the Queen Mary to Captain with the best roster in the NHL and he turned it into the Titanic, as soon as it hit the iceburg he paddled over to the Queen Mary II with an up and coming crew.

He's obviously good enough of a coach to get the opportunity, but he's masterful at hiding his mediocre coaching, nice guy no doubt, he just can't motivate or inspire enough to make a difference when it matters the most. Give AV a below average roster like Barry trotz had performing beyond it's talent level in Nashville for years and he likely wouldn't be in the NHL by now, but credit where it's due, he's superb at marketing himself.

AV's greatest talent was his ability to sell himself to management, in that sense he's brilliant.

He was given the Queen Mary to Captain with the best roster in the NHL and he turned it into the Titanic, as soon as it hit the iceburg he paddled over to the Queen Mary II with an up and coming crew.

He's obviously good enough of a coach to get the opportunity, but he's masterful at hiding his mediocre coaching, nice guy no doubt, he just can't motivate or inspire enough to make a difference when it matters the most. Give AV a below average roster like Barry trotz had performing beyond it's talent level in Nashville for years and he likely wouldn't be in the NHL by now, but credit where it's due, he's superb at marketing himself.

Actually, I was in Montréal when Vigneault was given his first shot at an NHL coaching job. The Habs lineup back then was below average and he led them into the 2nd round of the playoffs. The only reason he was fired was because he had the worst GM in the league at the time (Rejean Houle) who thought the Habs playoff success meant the team was better than it was—for the record, Houle was also fired at the same time.

So no, AV's success here has nothing to do with having a stacked team. He's an excellent NHL head coach but every NHL head coach has a limited time span with a team. When AV was fired, it was simply that time.

AV's greatest strength - being a players coach to and getting a lot out of his core favorite players.

AV's greatest weakness - being too hard on his non favorites and never putting them in a position to succeed, which ultimately hurt the team.

His was a double edged sword approach and you can see how it easily could have created some division in the room over time.

All told, the finals against the Kings showed me that AV has not really changed at all. He gets a lot out of certain players but when times get tough he has not cultivated that same confidence in other players to step up and fill in. And when the plan needs to change he is still too slow adjusting what he needs to.

He was a good coach here, with strengths and weaknesses like all others. He accomplished a lot that can never be taken away from him but it was really time for a change both for him and for the Canucks. He absolutely should have a place in Canucks history for what he accomplished but at the end of the day will be remembered for his failures as well. Such is the nature of coaching.

AV gives his teams a chance to win. He adapts his systems to the talent he has. I think that 2014 AV would have coached the 2011 team differently, however. That year he seemed like he was over his head a bit and a bit tense.

With the Rangers, whether it's because he's better aligned with management, in a less pressure filled environment and/or learning from past mistakes, he seemed to be way more relaxed, playing young guys and rolling 4 lines. Even though they went down in the finals in 5 games, they put up a hell of a fight for a team that everybody agrees were the underdogs. He did what Torts could never do with a similar roster.

I give full props to AV and under the aligned leadership of Linden/Benning/Desjardins even better days are ahead.

Actually, I was in Montréal when Vigneault was given his first shot at an NHL coaching job. The Habs lineup back then was below average and he led them into the 2nd round of the playoffs. The only reason he was fired was because he had the worst GM in the league at the time (Rejean Houle) who thought the Habs playoff success meant the team was better than it was—for the record, Houle was also fired at the same time.

So no, AV's success here has nothing to do with having a stacked team. He's an excellent NHL head coach but every NHL head coach has a limited time span with a team. When AV was fired, it was simply that time.

Montreal made the playoffs his first year, he then missed the playoffs the next two years in a row and was fired 20 games into the next season. There's no evidence AV ever having coached or inspired a below average team to perform beyond it's expectations talent wise.

Montreal made the playoffs his first year, he then missed the playoffs the next two years in a row and was fired 20 games into the next season. There's no evidence AV ever having coached or inspired a below average team to perform beyond it's expectations talent wise.

The fact that he took that Habs lineup to the playoffs even once is evidence that he "inspired a below average team to perform beyond it's expectations talent wise."

And to use your example of Trotz, he didn't take the Preds to playoffs every year and given the level of talent on those Vigneault Habs teams, I doubt Trotz would have fared better.

I would say that AV getting the Rangers into the finals last year was overachieving. It wasn't just him... Lundqvist played a major role but the change in attitude and system gave the team a chance to make it that far. Torts could never get the team that far in the many years he coached them. Also the first year he coached the Canucks that team had no business making it to the playoffs and squeaked into the 2nd round. While it wasn't pretty, his game plan gave the team a chance to win. Yes, he relied on Luongo but Torts coaching the same players and getting the same goaltending could not achieve the same level of results.

I was skeptical of AV for years but the direct AV to Torts swap highlighted a lot of things. Torts putting Kes with the Sedins and Garrison on the PP were things that many anti-AV fans wished for and now we see why AV never did it. AV like most coaches could still do things better here and there but in the big picture, he gives his teams a good chance to win and that's all you can hope for. I don't think there's many coaches that can work miracles... it's not like Darryl Sutter decided to go down 0-3 in the first round on purpose.

The fact that he took that Habs lineup to the playoffs even once is evidence that he "inspired a below average team to perform beyond it's expectations talent wise."

And to use your example of Trotz, he didn't take the Preds to playoffs every year and given the level of talent on those Vigneault Habs teams, I doubt Trotz would have fared better.

Take a look at the roster AV had in Montreal in 97-98 and tell me that was a below average team talent wise, even so every coach inherits a roster so we won't take anything away from him.

I never said Nashville made the playoffs every year, But don't compare any AV coached roster to what Trotz accomplished in Nashville with an expansion team since 98, they've always been competitive and they made the playoffs 7 times in the last 10 years with a dogs breakfast of a roster.

Archived