The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers re-sign Petry to 1 year deal

nd84

Jeff Petry is a solid candidate for 'worst defenseman in the NHL. Awful signing.

Disagree. I think he's actually quite underrated.

He's a decent enough middle-pairing defender who's been forced to play above his capabilities on an Oilers team that's neglected their back end for years. Petry's had to face some of the highest quality of competition on the Oilers D and been given a good share of their toughest defensive zone starts. Somehow, he still managed to finish the year with a positive Corsi Rel.

And while he's not really known as a "rugged" type, he's actually been one of their leaders in blocked shots and hits (led their D in both categories last season).

In terms of minutes, he was second on the Edmonton D in TOI and TOI/G for 2013-14 and has been playing 20+ minutes per night for the better part of four seasons.

He's basically a guy who's average to good at most aspects of the game but just isn't great at anything in particular. They'd certainly like to get more offense out of him but he's still been good for around 20 points (prorated per 82 games) for the past three years.

Here are a couple recent assessments of him (from Oilers fans):

C+ Jeff Petry. 80GP, 7-10-17. I’m being nice to Jeff Petry who was relied upon too heavily to play tough opponents and in situations that he wasn’t qualified for. Jeff Petry would be an excellent 3rd pairing guy on any Playoff team. On the Oilers he was fed a steady diet of own zone starts and kept out of the offensive zone and finished 2nd among regular Defensemen in the possession battle. He isn’t overly physical but lead the team in hits by a large margin. He isn’t overly offensive but finished 2nd on the team in Goals by Defensemen. He just wasn’t particularly good at any one aspect but because he can do a little bit of everything he was counted on to be everything. What prevents him from being in the B range is his lack of offense. 17 points isn’t enough for a player in his role. Not even close actually.

J. Petry- Our most well rounded D, helps on transition being one of our best passing D, good poke-check, good not great defensively. The coach says he has top pairing upside, I seem him as a really solid 2nd pairing D with dormant offensive abilities.

"Just over 3 million" is pretty good value for Jeff Petry. Especially in Edmonton.

I wouldn't take him over our top two RHDs (Tanev, Bieksa) but if we really needed someone on D, I'd be comfortably enough having him anchor the right side of a middle-pairing. He's just not a top-pairing D (but he's been forced to play that role on a weak Oilers D).

EDIT: small changes for clarity

Wasn't he an RFA?

He's also not at all as bad as you folks are saying. Try watching him play more then a half a dozen games a season.

I guess it's possible that he plays better when the Oilers aren't on national Sportsnet, TSN or CBC telecasts.

Time will tell.

Not true at all.

Edler was far worse last year.

He's a puck mover but he can't defend a lick. Unless I'm missing something and he brings more to the table when Canada isn't watching (we probably see 15-20 Oilers games in this market every year and he's definitely stunk in all of those).

Disagree. I think he's actually quite underrated.

He's a decent enough middle-pairing defender who's been forced to play above his capabilities on an Oilers team that's neglected their back end for years. Petry's had to face some of the highest quality of competition on the Oilers D and been given a good share of their toughest defensive zone starts. Somehow, he still managed to finish the year with a positive Corsi Rel.

And while he's not really known as a "rugged" type, he's actually been one of their leaders in blocked shots and hits (led their D in both categories last season).

In terms of minutes, he was second on the Edmonton D in TOI and TOI/G for 2013-14 and has been playing 20+ minutes per night for the better part of four seasons.

He's basically a guy who's average to good at most aspects of the game but just isn't great at anything in particular. They'd certainly like to get more offense out of him but he's still been good for around 20 points (prorated per 82 games) for the past three years.

Here are a couple recent assessments of him (from Oilers fans):

"Just over 3 million" is pretty good value for Jeff Petry. Especially in Edmonton.

I wouldn't take him over our top two RHDs (Tanev, Bieksa) but if we really needed someone on D, I'd be comfortably enough having him anchor the right side of a middle-pairing. He's just not a top-pairing D (but he's been forced to play that role on a weak Oilers D).

EDIT: small changes for clarity

Well said.

I think honestly this fanbase and this entire forum have no concept of what the Oilers are actually doing except to sneer down their noses at them.

When you factor in their young forward group, their new goaltending due and what they've done on the blue line with the no doubt additions of Nurse and Klefbom one has to seriously wonder when that breakout happens and this year could be as good as any.

With the season we had last year I really don't think we are in any position to lol at any team in the league right now until we get back to proving what we can do on the ice.

I personally think the Oilers will have a comparable or better team than us this season

Dude at those temperatures I wouldn't want to play there for over payment even.

There's nothing wrong with a region because of its temperatures during winter. I lived for 2 years in Edmonton, and the past 4 years here in Manitoba, 2 of which were spent in Thompson (North of the 55th parallel) where an average winter day was -30 to -40 with windchill, and nights getting down to between -50 and -60 and having to wake up at 2am to deal with an emergency call out.

And that's after having been born and raised in the Vancouver area for 26 years. Too many people with weak constitutions, and when you mix in money (ie Pro Sports) you get a lot of entitlement and generally bratty behavior.

Edit, lost track of the original point I was going to make.

Petry @ ~3M is good value, especially for what he is -- a middle pairing d-man. Something Tanev can strive for, and if he wants his pay day, needs to learn to bring at least a modicum of physicality to his play like Petry. IMO comparatively, Tanev @ 2M is right where he deserves to be.

He's a puck mover but he can't defend a lick. Unless I'm missing something and he brings more to the table when Canada isn't watching (we probably see 15-20 Oilers games in this market every year and he's definitely stunk in all of those).

I agree with leanbeef, I think you're confusing Petry with Potter.

Archived