The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bryan Murray battling cancer

Damn. He looked pretty bad at the press conference on Canada day. I thought that was just because he'd lost Spezza.

Good luck Bryan.

Yes, I felt so bad for him that day. He looked extremely upset that day and I just felt really bad for him. Not only has it been hard form him perfessionally in having guys like Alfredsson and Spezza leave but now his personal life is a struggle.

I really like Bryan Murray, hopefully he can recover and get back to being a NHL GM.

Get well soon Brian!! Thankfully cancer isn't the same beast it used to be. It's still a threat now a days but modern technology has come a long way to aid us on the battle with cancer. Hoping/Wishing Murray a speedy recovery.

In a recent interview, Bryan Murray was quoted saying,

"Canther ith the hardethed thing I've had to deal witthhh"

All joking aside, I hope he makes a swift recovery. He's a great guy.

i'm the least sensitive person in the world, but if you're going to make fun of a very humble, honest and classy cancer patient for having had a cleft palate, at least do it in a funny way.

moron.

• 4 months later...

Was really hoping I'd have good news to update this thread with, but unfortunately his condition is worsening:

OTTAWA - Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray revealed that he has Stage 4 cancer in an interview on TSN that aired Thursday night.

Murray had said that he had cancer in a statement on July 7, but the severity of his illness was not made public at that time. The statement issued through the Senators said he would begin treatment immediately.

"There is no cure at this point for me," Murray told TSN on Thursday. "The word is that we'll keep doing chemo and hopefully reduce the tumours and the effect and I'll get some time out of that."

Murray said he was diagnosed on June 23rd, although his doctors believe he has been living with the disease for years.

"The doctor told me very matter of factly that I had cancer. I had colon cancer within my liver and I had some in my lung. That it was very serious and that I had to get into treatment right away," said Murray, who has been undergoing chemotherapy since being diagnosed.

"That's the indication that they gave me, seven to 10 years (undetected). And, obviously, because of the Stage 4, it had moved through my body."

Since announcing his condition this summer Murray has tried to raise cancer awareness through the team.

"It's a battle, there's no question," said Murray. "There's a lot of emotion involved in it. There's a lot of down days. You try not to have too many. There are a lot of good days and you try to have more of them."

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/senators-gm-bryan-murray-says-he-has-stage-4-colon-cancer-1.2101737#ixzz3J0t0K3sP

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/senators-gm-bryan-murray-says-he-has-stage-4-colon-cancer-1.2101737

Just horrible. I used to make fun of this guy for the way he spoke. Now I just feel awful about it. My condolences to him and his family. Truly just a huge tragedy for all of hockey. Best of luck Bryan.

you feel bad because of the cancer but not because of the birth defect that caused the speech impediment?

that's pretty moronic.

I lost an uncle to colon cancer. My cousins got messed up by it, because here was a 6'3" bear of a man. When I saw him in hospital, he was a skeleton in bed. I can't imagine seeing him every day withering away like that. I hope they caught it early. I wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemy. Good luck Bryan, and his family.

Medical science needs to cure cancer. If you can folks, donate a buck or two or whatever you can afford to cancer research.

I lost an uncle to colon cancer. My cousins got messed up by it, because here was a 6'3" bear of a man. When I saw him in hospital, he was a skeleton in bed. I can't imagine seeing him every day withering away like that. I hope they caught it early. I wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemy. Good luck Bryan, and his family.

Medical science needs to cure cancer. If you can folks, donate a buck or two or whatever you can afford to cancer research.

stage 4 means they didn't catch it early. the article says doctors figure it went 7-10 years undetected.

you feel bad because of the cancer but not because of the birth defect that caused the speech impediment?

that's pretty moronic.

Yeah thats right. In my younger more immature days I used to make fun of Murray because of his speech impediment. Now I feel awful about doing so considering the fight that the man is going through and having lost someone close to me to this. Just watching the video was really tough for me.

Yes it was moronic of me to make fun of someone with a birth defect. It was just something I remembered from a while back while watching the video.

Archived