The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Linden Vey accepts qualifying offer

This team needs a shutdown RH defenseman with some size and a top six left wing. Those are the needs then its tweaking after that. Could be interesting if they can get one or both of those needs filled. If they gel and Miller is the Miller of old, anything is possible. But 2nd line LW (maybe Jensen or Shinkaruk surprise) and a top pair shutdown D are a must in my opinion.

For what it's worth Chris Tanev is a right-handed shutdown defenseman who is 6'2". He'll definitely work on strength this offseason and he'll come to camp stronger than before.

If you want to have Higgins or Jensen permanently playing on the second line due to that gaping hole, sure. Truth is we still need a second liner. Our defence is decent.

with turnover machines bieksa and edler playing top 4 minutes? i don't think so.

ooh, i forgot, bieksa was the heart and soul right, so he must be good? :sadno: :picard: :sadno:

This team needs a shutdown RH defenseman with some size and a top six left wing. Those are the needs then its tweaking after that. Could be interesting if they can get one or both of those needs filled. If they gel and Miller is the Miller of old, anything is possible. But 2nd line LW (maybe Jensen or Shinkaruk surprise) and a top pair shutdown D are a must in my opinion.

No we really don't, we need a RH pp quarterback. A guy that can skate the puck out of the zone and get a decent one timer on net while on the pp.

And regarding the 2nd line LW. We're stuck with Burrows for a bit, better hope that he finds his game this season and starts to earn some of that fat paycheck he's getting.

No we really don't, we need a RH pp quarterback. A guy that can skate the puck out of the zone and get a decent one timer on net while on the pp.

And regarding the 2nd line LW. We're stuck with Burrows for a bit, better hope that he finds his game this season and starts to earn some of that fat paycheck he's getting.

Bieksa, Edler and Sbisa can all do this.

with turnover machines bieksa and edler playing top 4 minutes? i don't think so.

ooh, i forgot, bieksa was the heart and soul right, so he must be good? :sadno: :picard: :sadno:

Defensemen who carry the puck have more turnovers than guys who pass or dump it out of the zone. It's a different style of play but carrying means better scoring chances at the other end of the ice and better possession. The added turnovers Edler and Bieksa incur have been always more than made up for with possession and scoring gains. Their corsi back this up. Edler was the single most unlucky player in the NHL last year too. That's the sort of thing you might want to take into consideration before just parroting his +/-.

Back on topic with Vey, I think we've got a good 2nd liner in the making who has hands, a shot, vision and a good two way game. Such a steal for a 2nd.

Bieksa, Edler and Sbisa can all do this.

Defensemen who carry the puck have more turnovers than guys who pass or dump it out of the zone. It's a different style of play but carrying means better scoring chances at the other end of the ice and better possession. The added turnovers Edler and Bieksa incur have been always more than made up for with possession and scoring gains. Their corsi back this up. Edler was the single most unlucky player in the NHL last year too. That's the sort of thing you might want to take into consideration before just parroting his +/-.

Back on topic with Vey, I think we've got a good 2nd liner in the making who has hands, a shot, vision and a good two way game. Such a steal for a 2nd.

I'll disagree with the first statement on the basis that it's very debatable how well any of them (let alone all three) fit that bill to be a quality option at least as our puck mover on the PP.

The second part I agree with though. It's very easy to prove to someone as well since all you have to do is tell someone to go to NHL.com, go to the real time report under the stats page for players, then filter by defencemen and sort by giveaways. Guess who's at he top of the list (Karlsson), what team has the most defenceman in the top 30 (Leafs, with 5), who was the worst for us this past season (Hamhuis), and what other notable names are on that list (Trouba, Subban, Doughty, Markov, Voyanov, Reilly, Keith, Franson, etc. as well as more defensive players even in Hjalmarsson, Seabrook, McDonagh, Chara, etc.).

If that's too much for anyone, here's a link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLDADALL&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

But back on topic as well, I'll agree with Vey, although I don't know if it's a steal for a 2nd. He has a lot left to prove at the NHL level yet and could be a slightly better Dalpe for all we know.

I'll disagree with the first statement on the basis that it's very debatable how well any of them (let alone all three) fit that bill to be a quality option at least as our puck mover on the PP.

But back on topic as well, I'll agree with Vey, although I don't know if it's a steal for a 2nd. He has a lot left to prove at the NHL level yet and could be a slightly better Dalpe for all we know.

1) Sure, it is debatable. But we haven't had a decent powerplay in years whether it was stale and overly rigid under AV's later years or completely ignored like under Torts. The PP has been the team's poster child for its coaching issues. I also think the changes in personnel this offseason will allow more of our d men to roam as they wanted to do all along. Previously they were told to have their feet planted at the corners of the offensive zone.

2) A 2nd for a prospect who has properly developed into a top scorer in the AHL and is ready to make the jump. Sure he has a lot to prove but if you could convert a 2nd into a player like Vey, every team would do it every year. It's a steal just for the years of development the organization has avoided.

1) Sure, it is debatable. But we haven't had a decent powerplay in years whether it was stale and overly rigid under AV's later years or completely ignored like under Torts. The PP has been the team's poster child for its coaching issues. I also think the changes in personnel this offseason will allow more of our d men to roam as they wanted to do all along. Previously they were told to have their feet planted at the corners of the offensive zone.

2) A 2nd for a prospect who has properly developed into a top scorer in the AHL and is ready to make the jump. Sure he has a lot to prove but if you could convert a 2nd into a player like Vey, every team would do it every year. It's a steal just for the years of development the organization has avoided.

...like the 9 years of development wasted on a certain goaltender :sadno:

Can someone please explain who Vey is why some people are so gung-ho for him being on the team?

Could it be that he has the potential at some point in his career to be a second line play-making centremen or right winger that every team would like to have? Just a hunch that is why lots of folks are interested to see what he can do.

Those ppl just are hockey fans and not canucks fans.

Hes a grade A ahl prospect rdy to score 20+ goals for his juniour coach willie d.

This.

Too many people on CDC follow just the Canucks, and are therefore ultra skeptical about any newcomers that lack anything to do with the Canucks on their resume as pro hockey players.

Vey is our best prospect right now (in terms of being NHL ready). If he doesn't make the opening night roster, it will be because he's simply not ready, and that's perfectly okay. But from the looks of it, he could very well have what it takes to land a spot in our starting lineup. I'm personally psyched for the kid. I'll be rooting for him all through training camp.

This.

Too many people on CDC follow just the Canucks, and are therefore ultra skeptical about any newcomers that lack anything to do with the Canucks on their resume as pro hockey players.

Vey is our best prospect right now (in terms of being NHL ready). If he doesn't make the opening night roster, it will be because he's simply not ready, and that's perfectly okay. But from the looks of it, he could very well have what it takes to land a spot in our starting lineup. I'm personally psyched for the kid. I'll be rooting for him all through training camp.

If he doesn't make the line-up THIS year, i think it's a huge mistake by Benning imo

EDIT: I'm not saying he won't because he probably will, but if he doesn't, then we've lost the trade already.

Archived