The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers purchased all the rights - what does that mean for me?

Hey - now that Rogers has purchased all the broadcasting rights... I am getting mixed messages from all the various service providers.

I recently cancelled cable, and have been searching for a LEGAL way to stream games online. I subscribe to Gamecenter - but until now that's only been for out of market games.

Will I be ok with just buying gamecenter now that rogers owns the rights nationally? I need to be able to watch the Canucks and need a legal alternative to paying $50 a month for Cable TV that I really dont want or need.

Hey - now that Rogers has purchased all the broadcasting rights... I am getting mixed messages from all the various service providers.

I recently cancelled cable, and have been searching for a LEGAL way to stream games online. I subscribe to Gamecenter - but until now that's only been for out of market games.

Will I be ok with just buying gamecenter now that rogers owns the rights nationally? I need to be able to watch the Canucks and need a legal alternative to paying $50 a month for Cable TV that I really dont want or need.

Any games that are televised locally will be blacked out from your game centre.

Sorry no help here but I'm sure we're getting screwed big time somehow. I have Center Ice which I was perfectly happy with, now I imagine all the Sportsnet prices will be wickedly adjusted plus I being from Calgary will have to shell out tonnes of cash to watch all Vancouver games.

"Rogers Communications and the NHL are guaranteeing to fans that there will be no more regional blackouts for games, so fans in Ottawa can watch games featuring the Oilers, Flames, etc., that they wouldn’t be able to. Sportsnet will now also create a new program called Ice Surfing, similar to the program on The Score called Court Surfing, where the station flips through live footage from random games around the league. This is no different from NHLOn The Fly offered by the NHL Network. In essence, the major pro to this entire situation is that fans will be able to watch more Canadian teams play regardless of where they live, and subsequently, more channel surfing due to the available games on TV at the same time."

http://thegatewayonline.ca/article/view/what_will_rogers_5.2_billion_nhl_deal_mean_for_hockey_fans

That said - all the rogers paperwork sent out says otherwise, Shaw believed that all games are now national - and Telus disagreed... The information is mixed...

Either way based on how Game Centre has functioned in the past if you can watch the game on TV you cannot watch the game on Game Centre.

That was due to LOCAL broadcasting rights. Which are entirely changed now.

Okay why don't you think about what Rogers just did they spent billions on this tv contract and now they are going to allow you to watch the games elsewhere without paying for their channels? These are not going to be free channels they are going to be extra channels that likely cost $10-15 like TSN2 is currently. Why should I pay for cable when I can just pay for Game Centre and watch the Canucks for $15 bucks a month along with every other NHL game.

Okay why don't you think about what Rogers just did they spent billions on this tv contract and now they are going to allow you to watch the games elsewhere without paying for their channels? These are not going to be free channels they are going to be extra channels that likely cost $10-15 like TSN2 is currently. Why should I pay for cable when I can just pay for Game Centre and watch the Canucks for $15 bucks a month along with every other NHL game.

The question being - does Roger's benefit financially from NHL Gamecenter?

The thing that I'm confused about in this is, does TSN and CBC still cover hockey? Or is it all Rogers Sportsnet now?

Apparently they will all "Cover hockey" but CBC's HNIC will now be run and operated by Rogers. TSN can't air games anymore other than the Jets - but will continue coverage of the sport.

Apparently they will all "Cover hockey" but CBC's HNIC will now be run and operated by Rogers. TSN can't air games anymore other than the Jets - but will continue coverage of the sport.

That's lame. TSN games were the best. So what happens with Cuthbert, Ferarro, etc.?

TSN2 is currently free.

Is it legal though?

No, but millions of people do it anyways. It sucks if you have a slower computer though, as the streams lag a fair bit.

Right now I don't even have Sportsnet, as it is a bonus package. I'm curious to see if that'll change.

I'm also going to miss games on TSN, as those were very fun to watch.

Probably has yet to be announced. Last I heard around January Rogers was working on a Netflix like service to stream all their content. Hopefully it will be well done and reasonable but that may be wishful thinking.

Archived