The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-signing] Lightning, ’10 first-rounder Connolly agree to one-year deal

elvis15

Lightning, ’10 first-rounder Connolly agree to one-year deal

Brett Connolly made the jump straight from the WHL to the Tampa Bay Lightning, but after scoring four goals and 15 points in 68 games in 2011-12, he’s spent most of his time in the minors.

With that in mind, the Lightning and Connolly agreed on a one-year, two-way contract for the 2014-15 campaign. It looks like he will enter training camp with a fair shot of making the team and if all goes well, he could be in line for a more favorable contract next summer.

Although Connolly has only played in 16 games with Tampa Bay over the last two seasons, he has been a prolific scorer in the minors. He had 21 goals and 57 points in 66 AHL games last season after recording 31 goals and 32 assists in 71 contests in 2012-13.

Connolly was taken by the Lightning with the sixth overall pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

I was tempted to put this in the minor signings thread, but with the attention he's gotten around CDC in the past I thought people might be interested in discussing it.

Connolly still has a lot of competition for a spot, with Kucherov, Panik, Brown and of course Callahan on the wing already. He might suddenly become available if he can't crack a spot, since he's not exempt from waivers starting this year.

And before the inevitable proposals, we've already got Vrbata, Kassian, Hansen, Vey and Dorsett on the right side, so it'd require some moves on our part if we wanted to bring him in. Maybe with Vey to center and Matthias to the left wing, and then moving Hansen we'd be able to make room:

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Kassian

Higgins Vey Connolly

Matthias Richardson Dorsett

Sestito

Not really room for any prospects to step up either though, so I don't see a lot of options how it could work.

I was tempted to put this in the minor signings thread, but with the attention he's gotten around CDC in the past I thought people might be interested in discussing it.

Connolly still has a lot of competition for a spot, with Kucherov, Panek, Brown and of course Callahan on the wing already. He might suddenly become available if he can't crack a spot, since he's not exempt from waivers starting this year.

And before the inevitable proposals, we've already got Vrbata, Kassian, Hansen, Vey and Dorsett on the right side, so it'd require some moves on our part if we wanted to bring him in. Maybe with Vey to center and Matthias to the left wing, and then moving Hansen we'd be able to make room:

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Kassian

Higgins Vey Connolly

Sestito

Not really room for any prospects to step up either though, so I don't see a lot of options how it could work.

Very close to busting out..

Connolly still has a lot of competition for a spot, with Kucherov, Panek, Brown and of course Callahan on the wing already. He might suddenly become available if he can't crack a spot, since he's not exempt from waivers starting this year.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Kassian

Higgins Vey Connolly

Sestito

Vrbata could be moved for picks or prospects.

Connolly still has a lot of competition for a spot, with Kucherov, Panik, Brown and of course Callahan on the wing already. He might suddenly become available if he can't crack a spot, since he's not exempt from waivers starting this year.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Kassian

Higgins Vey Connolly

Sestito

Well, one thing I will say for you, elvis15, is that you apply the same rules to yourself as you do with others when posts are created. No one could ever accuse you of being a hypocrite...

I would have to agree that Connolly is one guy that would look good as a Canuck...apparently he is able to play centre as well, so having a roster full of guys who can play centre is always a good thing (and we could use another guy who can take right side draws). He's got good projectable size and excellent offensive stats in the AHL. He's only got three years of pro experience, so I think his upside is still very good.

We got a similar player in Virtanen.

Imagine a line

Virtanen/Horvat/McCann

Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Kassian

Dane Fox/Vey/Connolly

Very good looking top 9. I just don't know what it'll take to get him.

Looks like a very promising top nine for the AHL at this time...could be a very promising top nine in the NHL in 3-4 years.

If Connolly doesn't nake the team I hope Benning tries to acquire him. (Vey like trade)

Connolly needs a change of scenery and is a BC boy!! His 6'2 frame also helps.

I'd agree with that, there's some thing wrong with this picture. He came out of Junior as a high pick, good size, good skill and promptly disapeared. What's happened, what's gone wrong

How realistic do you think that is - not only since we just signed him, but to make room for an as yet unproven NHL'er?

Not to mention that BC hasn't impressed at all.

Most on cdc think every high draft pick will be a star, here's more proof that it's not always the case. Not saying you Elvis, but you know I mean.

Already some on here are saying he would look good in a Canucks sweater yet if they followed hockey at all they would know he hasn't looked good in a AHL sweater.

Archived