The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-signing] Lightning, ’10 first-rounder Connolly agree to one-year deal

elvis15

We got a similar player in Virtanen.

Virtanen & Connolly are not similar players at all. Virtanen likes going through opponents to get the puck and/or score whereas Brett prefers to avoid physical play - one of the reasons I suspect Yzerman and co. have cooled on his future with their team. Connolly unfortunately has the type of game that will put up impressive numbers in the AHL, but not transfer to the big show imo.

Whoever is saying no to Connolly on here is nutz.. Not cuz he was a high first round pick, but because he is very very good.. one of the best players in the AHL... ripped it up in the all-star game.. Kid got rushed into the league, plain n simple...Players that are point per game players in their first two AHL seasons are not busts... Tbay is really deep at the forward position with youngsters so I can see them dealing him off for a vet dman rather then losing him for free on waivers... wait a minute, are you sure he has to clear waivers? How many NHL games minimum is it again?

:lol:

Got more than Schroeder did in his?

(Has he hooked up anywhere yet BTW??)

Yes, he signed for a 2 year, 2-way deal in Minny.

Whoever is saying no to Connolly on here is nutz.. Not cuz he was a high first round pick, but because he is very very good.. one of the best players in the AHL... ripped it up in the all-star game.. Kid got rushed into the league, plain n simple...Players that are point per game players in their first two AHL seasons are not busts... Tbay is really deep at the forward position with youngsters so I can see them dealing him off for a vet dman rather then losing him for free on waivers... wait a minute, are you sure he has to clear waivers? How many NHL games minimum is it again?

I could bring it up via CapGeek again, but I punched in all the required numbers and he's not exempt from waivers.

Its in the minor signing threads anyaways

This seems uneeded

You mean in this post 20 minutes after I created this thread?

The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed minor leaguer former First Rounder Brett Connoly to a one year two way contract.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/10/lightning-10-first-rounder-connolly-agree-to-one-year-deal/

:picard::picard:

That's two strikes facepalms now, want to see if you can get to three?

If one of the kids makes the team, Id do a deal around Higgins or Hansen for Connolly.. They need a 2/3 LW... ooooooorrrrr

Chris Higgins

Ryan Stanton

Jacob Markstrom

2nd Pick 2015

Brett Connoly

Radko Gudas

Kristers Gudlevskis

3rd Pick 2015

Pick of "B" prospect like Mallet, Andersson, Subban, etc.

To get Gudas it'd probably take Burrows to get him, and I can see him joining Garrison in accepting that deal

Hamhuis Gudas

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Bieksa

Team would finally be set

If one of the kids makes the team, Id do a deal around Higgins or Hansen for Connolly.. They need a 2/3 LW

Chris Higgins

Ryan Stanton

Jacob Markstrom

2nd Pick 2015

Brett Connoly

Radko Gudas

Kristers Gudlevskis

3rd Pick 2015

To get Gudas it'd probably take Burrows to get him, and I can see him joining Garrison in accepting that deal

Hamhuis Gudas

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Bieksa

Interesting deal, although I think it's too lateral. And Tampa doesn't exactly need a LW

Drouin

Palat

Killorn

Morrow

Higgins isn't really an upgrade on any of those since Drouin will most likely be moving to LW. IMO

Higgins =/< Connolly

Stanton < Gudas

Markstrom = Gudlevskis

2nd > 3rd

If one of the kids makes the team, Id do a deal around Higgins or Hansen for Connolly.. They need a 2/3 LW... ooooooorrrrr

Chris Higgins

Ryan Stanton

Jacob Markstrom

2nd Pick 2015

Brett Connoly

Radko Gudas

Kristers Gudlevskis

3rd Pick 2015

Hamhuis Gudas

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Bieksa

Why is everyone so eager to trade Higgins everyone on here wants a gritty 15-20 goal scorer for cheap. Guess what? That's what Higgins is 2.5m for a 20-20 guy is a great deal

You mean in this post 20 minutes after I created this thread?

:picard::picard:

That's two strikes facepalms now, want to see if you can get to three?

Sure thing elvis just to make sure next time u dont make a thread a bout a minor signing or at least do a quick search of the minor singing thread for the minor signing u want to talk a bout. OK? Thanks

No hard feelings :)

Why is everyone so eager to trade Higgins everyone on here wants a gritty 15-20 goal scorer for cheap. Guess what? That's what Higgins is 2.5m for a 20-20 guy is a great deal

Yea , but how long going forward is he a 15-20 goal scorer? He disappears completely in the playoffs and he's reaching his twilight years..I love Higgins, but let's be real here

Yeah, trading someone after you've just re-signed them is something we'd never do!

9008602.jpg?size=620x400

What's that you say? Signing someone in the summer of 2012 and trading them the following year in 2013 at the draft after them having played the whole season - even if it was shortened by the lockout - isn't the same as signing someone one month and trading them the next? Thought so.

Yea , but how long going forward is he a 15-20 goal scorer? He disappears completely in the playoffs and he's reaching his twilight years..I love Higgins, but let's be real here

Well he managed to be 4th in scoring for us last year so it's not like he does nothing. He disappears as much as anyone else on this team has in the past two playoff series we have had so why not trade the rest of the team aswell?

Archived