The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning responds to the concept of "rebuilding" (pssst, he isn't doing it...)

TheRussianRocket.

The Summer Summit video posted by the Canucks, around the 27 minute mark Shorty says/asks, "Jim, we talked about your moves and your plan, I hear it in the streets when I walk around, and this is not prevailing thought but I've heard it. There are some people that think that the way to bring this team back onto the winning track is to strip it down, maybe lose for a bit, maybe not sign Ryan Miller. Take us through your thought process there and why you felt you went out and got a veteran, proven goaltender."

Jim Benning's visceral reaction to the very concept of rebuilding is great, also telling:

BsHTQMwCIAAxEaX.jpg

..pretty much sums up JB's thoughts on "rebuilding". Later on a fan asked him the same question too and he responded by saying he wants prospects to be brought up in a winning environment with veteran leadership and presence which I totally agree with.

JB knows how this is done and tearing down a team completely and expecting youngsters to just take it over and win is outrageous. Just ask the Oilers how that's turned out. Anyways, hope this will clear the smoke on the thought/concept of rebuilding. Not going to happen.

Good. Now the people who want to see tank can shut up.

Thats a little harsh why cant canuck fans on a public forum on the canucks say where theyd like the team go in what diretion. Infact i think thats one of a purpose of the forum

I sugest u go for a bike ride or shoot off a gun and let some angre out

Great. Another 1st rd exit.

Should ask the Bruins how that worked for them when Benning was there and they created their current juggernaut. And 1st round exist talk is stupid imo. 8th place or 1st place, your in the tourny and have a shot at winning and that's really all anyone asks for. LA won being an 8th seed team the same season Burke in TO said he'd never want his team to be an 8th place team..

Canucks make the playoffs this season.

1st or 2nd round exit, but I see a long year of good development

Bonino will end up with nearly the same amount of points as Kesler(More or less I can't say)

Kassian is due for a 20 goal season.

We've added another 20 goal scorer in Radim Vrbata.

I've thought Nicklas Jensen was NHL ready from the first regular season I saw him play, I think he'll put up 10-15 goals this season.

Sedins and Burrows should be back to their old selves, Sedins should be off the PK; and they will be healthier because of it.

Look, I'm in favour of doing what's best for this team long-term.

Given where this team is at with respect to our aging core, the idea of bring in the kids to develop under their leadership is an excellent idea. But I still can't see why we couldn't have gone with our existing goalie tandem, or a least get a veteran back up for lack, then let the chips fall where they may.

If they happened to fall on a very high pick in one of the deepest drafts in years, then you're still accomplishing what's best for the team, without technically going into a full-on rebuild. You'd stock the team with another 5 or 6 excellent prospects and still go out and get a veteran goalie after next season.

As it stands now, if everything goes our way, we'll either sneak into the final playoff spot and suffer another quick first round exit, or we'll just miss a playoff spot. And for what?

Both scenarios will end up costing us a top 10 pick that in the 2015 draft could end up being a franchise cornerstone for the next 10 years.

Given where this team is at with respect to our aging core, the idea of bring in the kids to develop under their leadership is an excellent idea. But I still can't see why we couldn't have gone with our existing goalie tandem, or a least get a veteran back up for lack, then let the chips fall where they may.

If they happened to fall on a very high pick in one of the deepest drafts in years, then you're still accomplishing what's best for the team, without technically going into a full-on rebuild. You'd stock the team with another 5 or 6 excellent prospects and still go out and get a veteran goalie after next season.

As it stands now, if everything goes our way, we'll either sneak into the final playoff spot and suffer another quick first round exit, or we'll just miss a playoff spot. And for what?

Both scenarios will end up costing us a top 10 pick that in the 2015 draft could end up being a franchise cornerstone for the next 10 years.

best thing for the team...is that benning and company idea of what's best for the team or cdc's?

best thing for the team...is that benning and company idea of what's best for the team or cdc's?

That is his idea of what's best for the team and to be honest I share the same mind set. Do you theoretically have a chance as a 7/8th seed to make it to the finals? Sure. But does our team get past LA, Chi, Ana, STL over 7 games when we end up facing them? Doubtful.

We are better off, in my opinion, to end up with a high draft pick in this deep draft coming up in a year from now than to get bounced in the 1st round (or second if we are lucky). I think it can all be a success if we follow a similar plan to what MJD Dawg laid out.

Now with that being said, you can't lose on purpose and I think it is absolutely crucial to bring up young guns in a competitive environment that at least wants to win (ie you cant tank on purpose). From my standpoint I am going to cheer the team on regardless but hope for a high draft pick because I recognize how the current NHL powerhouses were built.

As fans all we can do is tag along for the ride. If the team ends up excelling under new mangagement and a new coach then I am all for it because I recognize that I have no control over the situation. I know which outcome I would prefer but I am also open to a pleasant, yet unexpeceted, surprise.

Just don't do both at once

bikini-gun.gif

That's killer, Timber...as they say, comedy is all about timing and dude, you nailed it. Did you and B2M orchestrate this together? Beauty of a set up by B2M and even nicer close by you, Timber. This is one of the reasons I love the CDC. +1 to you and B2M. More if I could.

Good, I'd rather us not go into a rebuild.

Sedins aren't going to be around forever, best to try and win while we still have them.

Bringing in Vrbata improves the top 6 for now, to try and get us to the playoffs. Create a winning culture for the young guys.

Bringing in Miller gives Lack more time to develop, instead of being rushed.

I may not like some of the moves JB made, but I do like that he's trying to make the team competitive.

Should ask the Bruins how that worked for them when Benning was there and they created their current juggernaut. And 1st round exist talk is stupid imo. 8th place or 1st place, your in the tourny and have a shot at winning and that's really all anyone asks for. LA won being an 8th seed team the same season Burke in TO said he'd never want his team to be an 8th place team..

I'm one of the people who wanted a rebuild but his comments shut me up. Since our GM says it's not going to happen then it's time for me to let it go. I usually agree with what you say for the most part but that said, I think we might disagree this time. I simply can't get the notion of "once you're in the playoffs it's anybodies game". Really? So if we go up against LA or the Hawks or STL or ANA, do we really have a chance? I think right now we might suffer a few early round exits for the next few years before our prospects really start making a difference at the NHL level.

How ever the season turns out so be it. Hopefully the Canucks do play a 4 line game and the youth get a fair amount of ice time. Unlike last year I do not want the top line getting 25 TOI that is ridiculous for a roster like Van will have. If Van can ice a hard working team like Calgary did last year I cannot see how a real Van fan will be disappointed. The over riding theme has to be building for next year and the year after. Swallowing the koolaid that any team who makes playoffs can go all the way is BS. It rarely happens.

It ain't Hollywood but play the kids and bide your time. 2015 draft year is a reality and Van has to assume that real serious talent will be available. The fans that jump off the wagon will be moaning about lack of tickets when the ship turns.

Archived