The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning responds to the concept of "rebuilding" (pssst, he isn't doing it...)

TheRussianRocket.

So where's our franchise player then please?

Kesler was not a franchise player for us.

He turned into a cancer.

So,Vrbata,Miller and Bonino look a lot better than nobody for the PP and two Canucks that wanted out and left.

My point is you don't have to tank to get a franchise player. You also can't tell who has that potential, players surprise you.

How the hell am I suppose to know which player has that potential?

How the hell are you suppose to know which players don't?

Majority of them are 20 or under and haven't even played a minor game yet lol.

Someone could surprise you in the future. That is my point

You can't tell how a players is going to pan out 1-2 years after they were drafted.

Surprise! We have nobody.

Now what?

After reading the three pages, all I can say, and I've said it in other threads...I trust Benning. He came in, had a look at the situation, (I'm guessing) evaluated ALL players in the system from the Sedin's on down, had some targets from his days in Boston, and executed.

Like TL said when he hired Benning, they have a type of team they want, and now GMJB is pulling the trigger. Some moves may not be pretty, but necessary.

I also trust his drafting. (how much talk has Tryamkin received?) I probably spelled his name wrong, but a wow. What a pick.

I'm 41, and worked in many positive and negative work environments. It's better to work in a positive environment than a negative one. Build on the positive for the ultimate goal.

Yeah I dont understand why someone didnt take Tryamkin in the 2013 draft in the 6th or 7th round?

The point is you have no way of actually knowing what we do or don't have. It comes down to how they are developed. And thankfully we have a GM now who understands developing young talent unlike Gillis.

True, true. There may be a miracle player that arrives from development only. That being said, Gillis and Aquilini also sold us that the Canucks were spending more money than anyone in the NHL on development. In response to those claims, they delivered us... What, exactly?

Yeah I dont understand why someone didnt take Tryamkin in the 2013 draft in the 6th or 7th round?

It could be at least partially the KHL factor because he is Russian and the fact that players like that could get huge offers to stay in the KHL rather than come to NA to play. There is always the risk they will never come over. Plus I think he really blossomed in his play this past season whereas before he seemed to be a huge (no pun intended....lol) project.

True, true. There may be a miracle player that arrives from development only. That being said, Gillis and Aquilini also sold us that the Canucks were spending more money than anyone in the NHL on development. In response to those claims, they delivered us... What, exactly?

Spending the most money does not guarantee the best results. And unlike Gillis, Benning has a history of being heavily involved in the development of some pretty damn good players in Boston. He actually knows what he is doing in other words. Gillis did not have the experience or the ability to build his own plan. He made no bones about the fact he tried to copy Detroit. That is fine but that also only applies so far before there are diminishing returns on the strategy. You have to actually have the right people developing those players and as much as the Canucks drafting gets blasted (and rightfully so for a lot of years) the forgotten factor that is at last equally important is that a lot of good prospects were not developed properly at all.

Even if they were picked in later rounds, NHL teams would be pretty sure of their potential upside before they played an NHL game. That's what development is all about. That being said, which of our prospects have developed in that fashion? At this point Benning and Linden have only focused on 2013 and 2014 draftpicks as being full of potential. And none of those players are NHL-ready at this point.

Can somebody at least provide one name? At least i'm hopeful for Virtanen.

Ryan Kesler was said to be a third line center at best, he turned out to be a lot more than that.

Marcus Naslund is another, how about Bert

Shinkaruk could be a franchise player

Horvat could be a franchise player

McCann could be a franchise player

VIrtanen could be a franchise player.

Markstrom could be a franchise player

Jensen could be a strong supporting player.

You clearly don't realize development. Players aren't drafted with franchise potential. Why because no one has a crystal ball. If a player hasn't dominated growing up how is one to tell that he might develop into a player that will in the NHL.

O'reilly never passed 20 goals in the OHL, yet last year put up 28. But Colorado new that he had that potential in him, right? If you asked O'Reilly I bet he'd even be surprised he put up those numbers.

Benn was in the BCHL when he was drafted 7 years later he's a ppg player in the NHL

Zetterberg couldn't even put up a PPG in the swedish Div 2 league before he was drafted, but Det drafted him based on his potential to be a franchise player based on that? Give me a break?

Surprise! We have nobody.

Now what?

Elaborate.

I want to hear how you know that none of our prospects have zero chance to become franchise players since they haven't developed properly despite the fact that all of our six 1st round picks in the last 4 years besides Jensen haven't even played a single game in the minors.

Am I saying that anyone of our prospects will? No. I am saying some could.

I am saying you don't need to tank to get a top 5 pick in order to acquire a franchise player.

I am saying players that were drafted in the later rounds, hell players drafted 6th 9th and 24th, could become franchise players.

I have no clue how our prospects will pan out and neither do you.

Also as pointed out we have new management that has been successful at drafting and developing players.

You should try optimism when it comes to our prospects. Seriously. You may end up being right that none develop into a franchise player but you also could very well be wrong. If you look at the moves made at the NHL level and the comments made it sure looks like the new guy in charge seems to be very in tune (in a short amount of time) with what our top prospects will need in terms of development to get to the NHL level.

At the very least it sure sounds like prospects - for a first time in what seems like forever - will have a legitimate chance to steal a spot in the lineup if they earn it in camp. That alone should get us excited.

A new regime is now n place in Vancouver.

This is not Pittsburgh or Chicago.

Plenty to cheer about for me but it might be a long season for you.

I'm betting it's going to be a long season for everyone. We'll see if you're still cheering in march.

I get that it's a new regime and everyone is excited, but I remember this exact sort of euphoria when Gillis came on board and then Tortorella afterward....

Also I disagree with your Linden Vey statement BanTSN.

Vey is a player that has been developed well.

Vey is much more than 4th round talent, in fact he was traded for a defenseman that was ranked to go in the 1st round in some scouts minds.

Here are the numbers Vey has put up. Vey's AHL numbers are quite impressive.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=28422

I am excited to see how he plays in the NHL.

At the very least it sure sounds like prospects - for a first time in what seems like forever - will have a legitimate chance to steal a spot in the lineup if they earn it in camp. That alone should get us excited.

Agreed. Also with the additions from the moves we made I am a lot more happy. Change was needed.

Sbisa, Dorsett, Bonino, McCann and Vey.

Should be an interesting season.

I'm betting it's going to be a long season for everyone. We'll see if you're still cheering in march.

I get that it's a new regime and everyone is excited, but I remember this exact sort of euphoria when Gillis came on board and then Tortorella afterward....

There weren't really any roster changes last offseason so the excitement about Tortorella was more based on the fact that it was the only real change.

Do you blame anyone for being excited that someone (anyone?) replaced Nonis? Come on man. lol

There is a quiet confidence and no bull sort of attitude on Benning and his moves certainly show he has the courage to go all in on what he has identified as the right path for the team going forward. It is a good time to be excited and even if the team struggles this season I think it will still be an exciting season.

Look, I'm in favour of doing what's best for this team long-term.

Given where this team is at with respect to our aging core, the idea of bring in the kids to develop under their leadership is an excellent idea. But I still can't see why we couldn't have gone with our existing goalie tandem, or a least get a veteran back up for lack, then let the chips fall where they may.

If they happened to fall on a very high pick in one of the deepest drafts in years, then you're still accomplishing what's best for the team, without technically going into a full-on rebuild. You'd stock the team with another 5 or 6 excellent prospects and still go out and get a veteran goalie after next season.

As it stands now, if everything goes our way, we'll either sneak into the final playoff spot and suffer another quick first round exit, or we'll just miss a playoff spot. And for what?

Both scenarios will end up costing us a top 10 pick that in the 2015 draft could end up being a franchise cornerstone for the next 10 years.

This is the most sane version of this conversion here IMO.

I'm personally dead set against a tank. I do quite like most of GMJB's decisions. But I also questioned why we needed Miller.

Maybe I'm stuck believing we got something legit (in Markstrom) back for Lou which will be wasted? I guess these guys will have scouted this player and spoken with our goalie coach. Its very possible he was damaged goods, a reason his progress stalled and he was surpassed by guys such as Lack. If there is no inherent value in Markstrom, I suppose it's smart to have cut our losses fast (something MG never did)...

I also have the long standing belief we need a D man with great puck skills and speed. Edler can score with his bomb of a shot and is a decent passer. But he is NOT going to break down any team shaking and baking, dancing around defenders who challenge him. All our guys are decent two way D as well, its not that we are a poor D squad. But none offer this want either. I am most concerned that JB has said he's now happy with his roster and we'll go yet another year without a PMD?

I would have done that before fussing over a goalie. Teams like Chicago have now won twice with young goalies.

Archived