The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning and Linden hidden agenda (Summary)

J.I.A.H.N

Although te lines are set by the coaching staff, it would be naive to think that the GM doesn't have some input. Perhaps no vetos, but if he wants to see something tried, I'd think the coaching staff would be obligated to give it a try.

How can a GM GM if he doesn't know where the players that he is acquiring will be used. A GM doesn't just throw players at the Coach and tell him to make something of it.

This has been one of my most favorite summers of hockey! Firings, Trades, Signings, Drafting and Speculation. And we are not even finished the summer!

I have been trying my best to curb my enthusiasm, but so many options, so many opinions, so many illusions, so many dreams! God! What fun!

So, let's talk about the illusions! Right now, with all our Veterans forwards in the lineup we look like this.

Dank Hank Vrbata

Higgins Bonino Kassian

Hansen Matthais Burrows

Dorsett Richardson Vey Spares:Sestito and Zalewski

Anyone else think this ? Or close?

This line up is not capable of making the playoffs.

We have no secondary scoring. The twins would have to pull off 85 -90 point seasons to make up for being a one line team.

Defense is weaker but Sbisa isn't bad. He is shaky but still young enough to improve. All the friends I have talked to are in agreement that Ryan Miller is a mistake.

His signing does not help our team in the long run. He is not that big of an improvement over Eddie. At age 34 Ryan did not play well for a very well constructed St Louis team. He just looked good because the bar was set so low in Buffalo.

I dont understand what Benning and Linden are doing but if I was to guess it would be that they have a mandate from Aquillini to make the playoffs and so they are trying to appear like they are doing just that.

This line up is not capable of making the playoffs.

We have no secondary scoring. The twins would have to pull off 85 -90 point seasons to make up for being a one line team.

Defense is weaker but Sbisa isn't bad. He is shaky but still young enough to improve. All the friends I have talked to are in agreement that Ryan Miller is a mistake.

His signing does not help our team in the long run. He is not that big of an improvement over Eddie. At age 34 Ryan did not play well for a very well constructed St Louis team. He just looked good because the bar was set so low in Buffalo.

I dont understand what Benning and Linden are doing but if I was to guess it would be that they have a mandate from Aquillini to make the playoffs and so they are trying to appear like they are doing just that.

Here is the thing, I think they know they are not as competitive as they were 2 years ago, they are no Dummies. But it is kind of a win - win senario. If the vets and new UFA's have a great season, they could get into the playoffs, if they get in or are close, it is because their older players are playing better.

That is entirely possible, we have to wait and see, how the Sedins, Burrows, Hansen and Edler play. If 2 of the 5 players play as good as 2 years ago, possibly we are in. Lets see how the new coaches affect the players, we might be suprized.

This will/may change JB's mind a little, but some of those vets will go....again, they have too, to make room for the younger players.

That is reality....simple math!

Now on the Miller front, Benning must have a plan, because he drafted Demko

Think about it, he had Lack, Markstrom, Erickson, and Cannata (Who he just resigned).

Here is my question. If Lack and Markstrom, or Lack and Erickson are young enough for 6 to 8 years, where does Demko go?

To me, this shows that he planned all along to trade a goalie. I am sure before he even got to the draft, he knew that he had a sure fire trade for one of his goalies, if he could pick up a goalie in the draft that had real potential, and could get a UFA to fill in in the short term (3yrs).

I would not be suprized at all, if he wasn't planning to trade Lack or Markstrom all along. We seen him trade his 2015-3rd rounder away, and it didn't bother him one bit.

Well, if you are moving some of your vets before the 2015 draft, then the 3rd is covered, and why worry about it.

Getting Miller is insurance, even if he isn't as good as he once was....its a win - win......win or loose. Benning doesn't seem to do things without a plan......let's watch! So far so good!

Archived