The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler and Virtanen

cowboy644

I was talking with the project manager on the jobsite who is a big Canucks fan as well about Kesler and we both agreed the canucks had another option.When he said right before the draft only Anaheim or Chicago,Benning and Linden should have said no.What they should have told him was expand your list to at least 6 teams and until you do you won't be traded.That means you will sit at home if we can't move you by training camp.What you won't be doing is be coming near the team again.

The Ducks had them over a barrel and the Canucks basically got nothing back in return by the knee hacking Kesler gave them a couple days before the draft and even if they trade him later for less than what they wanted, so what.All Linden and Benning did with their first trade is shown they can be bullied.Kesler would have capitulated because he wanted out plain and simple.It never would have reached the distraction Luongo did because Keslers contract was way to cap friendly to any of the six teams he would have listed.A bidding war would have started,of that I'm sure.

As far as Virtanen, the project manager has a picture on his phone his brother sent him right after Virtanens interview at the draft of the 2 of them(Jake and the brother) together.Seems his brother coached our newest member from the time he was 6 till he was 16 and that we all should be pretty excited about the player the Canucks got. By all accounts he should be outstanding.I know nothing is guaranteed but at least it's nice to hear from someone in the know about a draft pick.

I think what Linden and Benning did was show the rest of the team that people who don't want to be here won't be here. Simple. Traded a big piece of the core (I doubted his leadership and usefulness for a few years now) like it was nothing.

The Ducks had them over a barrel and the Canucks basically got nothing back in return by the knee hacking Kesler gave them a couple days before the draft and even if they trade him later for less than what they wanted, so what.

A 3rd liner, who could be a late bloomer and become a 2nd liner, a top 6 defenseman who could turn into a top 4 defenseman, and a late 1st. That's not a bad return for a 2nd liner in decline. Kesler prevented the Canucks from getting more, but the deal was at least fair.

Uhh we got nothing in return?

Kesler last year 25 goals. 18 assists. 43 points

Bonino last year 22 goals. 27 assists 49 points Right of the bat we have a player that is more of a team mate and more points. Younger aswell.
Sbisa. Very talented good young defenseman. Which if I recall is more of a defensive defenseman which we need to help Edler become more offensive again.
3 round pick that turned into Dorsett who I think is going to be a great energy booster for the team

And 24th overall pick that turned into Jarred McCann who so far looks like he is going to be a major player for us in the somewhat near future.

Personal Opinion. We didn't get nothing for Kesler. I think we actually got a lot more then most people realize.

As for Virtanen. I think he will be better Offensively then Kesler. Maybe not so much in the shutdown zone but we need a good young power forward who drives the net and can score. Also a ridiculous shot

A 3rd liner, who could be a late bloomer and become a 2nd liner, a top 6 defenseman who could turn into a top 4 defenseman, and a late 1st. That's not a bad return for a 2nd liner in decline. Kesler prevented the Canucks from getting more, but the deal was at least fair.

In decline and injury prone (plus attitude problems). I like what we got for Kes.

Op just so you are aware... There was heated debates among management,to tell him.. Give us an expanded list, or tuff luck. They (Linden Benning and co.) decided the best option was to get the highest value they could rather than have the drama carry to next year. Very smart move... This is a CULTURE change and if you don't want to buy in gtfo ... Love that message :)

So is this thread about Kesler or Virtanen because those 2 topics aren't related at all.

Looks like both.

The Kesler trade was awful, esp. since he went to a division rival, but I suppose 'we had to move on' blah blah blah.

The Ducks never in a million years would they trade an equally valueable asset to us, but if they did they sure as hell would have insisted on a hefty return. But we had to move on.

Virtanen will be an all-star power forward. Very glad we drafted him as opposed to weak perimeter garbage.

I suppose the alternative was for Aquilini to personally get on his knees and beg Kesler to stay, only to trade him for some overly dramatized reason later in the season. Glad we just got it over with instead. It's over. Bring on the rebuild.

I suppose the alternative was for Aquilini to personally get on his knees and beg Kesler to stay, only to trade him for some overly dramatized reason later in the season. Glad we just got it over with instead. It's over. Bring on the rebuild.

Ya I definitely think he was traded at the right time. What if JB waited to trade deadline and he was hurt or ha d a poor season. Then he tries to trade him next draft and his value drops so he waits again. Then comes next trade deadline and he becomes a pure rental player with even less value now that other gms know he has to get rid of him. AAaaaaaand it turns into a Gillis Luongo fiasco all over again.

JB did well handling the mess he walked into.

judging by the lack of evidence that you provided in arguing that we got "nothing" in return for a declining, puck hogging, wife stealing(joke), centre.... I think it's pretty safe to say you know nothing about what you're talking about.

Talking about players' personal lives is prohibited here. Not only that, it looks petty, joke or not.

OP You miss the point that it was not Benning who put Kes on an NTC. Why should he screw up his reputation for decency and fair play when he is trying to start something big here not only with the core, many of who were Kesler's friends but with incoming players who will expect to be dealt with in a reasonable manner.

In future I would suggest that any NTC's have a minimum of 6 teams built into the contract. That then avoids the problem. You also have to remember that an unhappy player can be a downer in the dressing room and on the ice.

I thought JB did an admirable job in the circumstances.

Archived