The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler and Virtanen

cowboy644

OP You miss the point that it was not Benning who put Kes on an NTC. Why should he screw up his reputation for decency and fair play when he is trying to start something big here not only with the core, many of who were Kesler's friends but with incoming players who will expect to be dealt with in a reasonable manner.

In future I would suggest that any NTC's have a minimum of 6 teams built into the contract. That then avoids the problem. You also have to remember that an unhappy player can be a downer in the dressing room and on the ice.

I thought JB did an admirable job in the circumstances.

I like the idea of 10 teams the player WONT play for. Even the 6 team plan should be reserved for the elite.

They would have risked backing themselves further into a corner by not taking a deal, just like with Lu. Chicago and Anaheim could have moved on, and then there would be no teams left to trade with.

Then we would be stuck with Kesler till the trade deadline or later, which would further diminish his value. Eventually being forced to take a deal more along the lines of what Ottawa got for Spezza.

Whether it was a good deal or not, You gotta respect Benning for pulling the trigger and avoiding a season long distraction. It was time to cut ties with Kesler.

If Jared McCann becomes the player he's capable of, no one will be looking back on this deal negatively.

Looks like both.

The Kesler trade was awful, esp. since he went to a division rival, but I suppose 'we had to move on' blah blah blah.

The Ducks never in a million years would they trade an equally valueable asset to us, but if they did they sure as hell would have insisted on a hefty return. But we had to move on.

Virtanen will be an all-star power forward. Very glad we drafted him as opposed to weak perimeter garbage.

I like that kess went to a division rival, in a few years this trade helps us more then kess will be helping the ducks. The way I see it is that when we are ready to take a step forward and compete with the ducks (hope in a few years) the trade sets them back and helps us. Trade him out of our division and we wouldn't have the bennift of downgrading a division rivals future.

I like that kess went to a division rival, in a few years this trade helps us more then kess will be helping the ducks. The way I see it is that when we are ready to take a step forward and compete with the ducks (hope in a few years) the trade sets them back and helps us. Trade him out of our division and we wouldn't have the bennift of downgrading a division rivals future.

People that think the trade was horrible are people who either had ridiculous proposals including guys like Nyquist or Mantha, or people who wanted a piece that would help us compete now.

Teams were not likely to trade a top prospect for Kesler, and trading for a piece that would help us now is pointless.

Bonino and Sbisa are still young and will likely be here to help this team compete in a few years. Adding McCann on top who has the potential to be a future top 6 makes this deal okay, but certainly not "a horrible deal" like some people are painting it as.

I hate how so many people feel obligated to spread their pessimistic views on every move the Canucks make. It's often just uneducated banter, it's pretty obvious that Benning turned a really bad situation into a moot point by removing the problem at the right time instead of waiting forever for the deal that never shows up. We got fair value and the deal benefits both teams and their needs.

We're headed in the right direction guys, I trust Benning's judgement based on his history as well as what he's done here already. GMMG followed the flavour of the week, but Benning clearly has an elaborate plan he's carrying out.

I was talking with the project manager on the jobsite who is a big Canucks fan as well about Kesler and we both agreed the canucks had another option.When he said right before the draft only Anaheim or Chicago,Benning and Linden should have said no.What they should have told him was expand your list to at least 6 teams and until you do you won't be traded.That means you will sit at home if we can't move you by training camp.What you won't be doing is be coming near the team again.

The Ducks had them over a barrel and the Canucks basically got nothing back in return by the knee hacking Kesler gave them a couple days before the draft and even if they trade him later for less than what they wanted, so what.All Linden and Benning did with their first trade is shown they can be bullied.Kesler would have capitulated because he wanted out plain and simple.It never would have reached the distraction Luongo did because Keslers contract was way to cap friendly to any of the six teams he would have listed.A bidding war would have started,of that I'm sure.

As far as Virtanen, the project manager has a picture on his phone his brother sent him right after Virtanens interview at the draft of the 2 of them(Jake and the brother) together.Seems his brother coached our newest member from the time he was 6 till he was 16 and that we all should be pretty excited about the player the Canucks got. By all accounts he should be outstanding.I know nothing is guaranteed but at least it's nice to hear from someone in the know about a draft pick.

Oh yeah ... well, the other day I was getting gas and the gas attendant said your project manager was wrong, sooo...

I hate how so many people feel obligated to spread their pessimistic views on every move the Canucks make. It's often just uneducated banter, it's pretty obvious that Benning turned a really bad situation into a moot point by removing the problem at the right time instead of waiting forever for the deal that never shows up. We got fair value and the deal benefits both teams and their needs.

Benning performed DD/ hard work on the Kes deal and made a trade that benefitted both teams.

When he gets on the phone he can work from a point of superior player evaluation analysis instead of hosing the trading partner and wondering why he will never recieve another decent trade offer.

Right, we got "nothing back".....

Because a young 50 point forward, a potential top four dman, a potential top six forward, and a quality 4th line bruiser = "nothing"

I'm not going to lose any sleep over a 23 goal scorer who doesn't use his wingers and doesn't want to be here. I loved Kesler's compete level but he is hardly in the 'irreplacable' category.

his defense play has dropped since 2011.

And so did his + -, he changed his game. I liked the old kesler before. The + - is a telling stat, if you on the ice for more goals then you score then something is wrong.

Archived