The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ramones’ Tommy Ramone dead at 62

Heretic

RIP Tommy....RIP.

Tommy Ramone, the original drummer and producer of the legendary punk quartet the Ramones, died at his home in Ridgewood, Queens on Friday after a long battle with bile duct cancer, Variety reported.

The 62-year-old rocker was the last surviving original member of the band and played drums on the band’s first three albums, “Ramones,” “Leave Home,” and “Rocket to Russia,” including some of the band’s more influential singles: “Blitzkrieg Bop,” “I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend,” and “Rockaway Beach.”

He founded the band with original singer Joey Ramone, bassist/vocalist Dee Dee Ramon and guitarist Johnny Ramone in New York City in 1974.

Ramone, whose real name was Thomas Erdelyi, was replaced in the band by drummer Marky Ramone.

He continued to handle the band’s management for their fourth album, “Road to Ruin,” and produced their eighth album in 1984, “Too Tough to Die.”

“It wasn’t just music in The Ramones: it was an idea. It was bringing back a whole feel that was missing in rock music – it was a whole push outwards to say something new and different,” Tommy said in 1978.

“Originally it was just an artistic type of thing; finally I felt it was something that was good enough for everybody.”

http://nypost.com/2014/07/12/ramones-drummer-tommy-ramone-dead-at-62/

I'd rather not think of this. All of my favorite bands and musicians are dying off and being replaced with...You know what to do wit dat big fat butt...wiggle wiggle wiggle

I weep for music

Kick back watch it crumble

See the drowning, watch the fall

I feel just terrible about it

That's sarcasm, let it burn

I'm gonna make a toast when it falls apart

I'm gonna raise my glass above my heart

Then someone shouts "That's what they get!"

For all the years of hit and run

For all the piss broke bands on VH1

Where did all, their money go?

Don't we all know

Parasitic music industry

As it destroys itself

We'll show them how it's supposed to be

Music written from devotion

Not ambition, not for fame

Zero people are exploited

There are no tricks, up our sleeve

Gonna fight against the mass appeal

We're gonna kill the 7 record deal

Make records that have more than one good song

The dinosaurs will slowly die

And I do believe no one will cry

I'm just ???? glad I'm gonna be

There to watch the fall

Prehistoric music industry

Three feet in la brea tar

Extinction never felt so good

If you think anyone would feel badly

You are sadly, mistaken

The time has come for evolution

frack collusion, kill the five

Whatever happened to the handshake?

Whatever happened to deals no-one would break?

What happened to integrity?

It's still there it always was

For playing music just because

A million reasons why

dinosaurs will die......Mikey B

Seriously though WH there are a lot of good young musucians out there , i listen to JJJ at work on the farm , it plays a lot of artists that are just starting out or do not get a lot of airplay on the commercial stations.

One of my fave new bands so far this year are the Bohicas , you should check them out.

My dad saw the Ramones play back in the early 80s in a Club on Hastings street. He was into that stuff. He also saw Iggy Pop around the same time at the same venue and said Iggy got knocked out by something, I cant remember what, and the band kept playing until he eventually came to....like 10 minutes later :lol:

RIP Tommy.

My dad saw the Ramones play back in the early 80s in a Club on Hastings street. He was into that stuff. He also saw Iggy Pop around the same time at the same venue and said Iggy got knocked out by something, I cant remember what, and the band kept playing until he eventually came to....like 10 minutes later :lol:

RIP Tommy.

doesn't surprise me. BC had a notoriously rough punk scene back then, Black Flag, or at least Henry Rollins, refused to play in Vancouver for the longest time because of how gnarly the fans were (stole equipment, violence, heroin use everywhere, etc.)

New AC/DC, Queen, and Pink Floyd albums coming up though...

One of the Young's from AC/DC has been diagnosed with a type of dementia

Freddie Mercury is dead

Roger Waters is not part of this Floyd album.

But in their day these guys were great. In fact Pink Floyd is my favourite band and Queen is in my top 5.

One of the Young's from AC/DC has been diagnosed with a type of dementia

Freddie Mercury is dead

Roger Waters is not part of this Floyd album.

But in their day these guys were great. In fact Pink Floyd is my favourite band and Queen is in my top 5.

Malcom Young; I'm confident his nephew can fill in on rhythm guitar.

True, but I'd rather the surviving members keep making music.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason (No Waters) is in my top 5 Floyd albujms (alongside The Wall, DOSTM, Animals, and WYWH).

Archived