The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospects You are Most Excited About (pre '14-'15 season)

Psycho_Path

Jensen

Shinkaruk

Horvat

Virtanen

Gaunce

McCann

Shocked how little people have jensen on their list. He is an exciting player who is nhl ready.

I think people just aren't considering him as a prospect anymore. Although it looks like he might start the year in the A so I guess they should.

Probably the ones that are just starting their pro career like Fox, Gaunce, maybe Shinkaruk and Horvat. I would include Jensen in that group because between the injuries and jumping from league to league to what was basically an expansion AHL franchise with a new everything, he hasn't been in a stable, long term development situation yet.

Having an AHL franchise should really start paying off soon, if not this year. The number one priority was creating depth through internal competition and a push from the farm for roster spots. Right now, with the exception of Vey, who is older and farther along the development trail than the others, there aren't any spots guaranteed to prospects and that's a good thing. They are going to have to earn it.

Most excited to see how Gaunce and Shinkaruk look in the AHL next year, that is a big jump in competition and will be very telling how they will pan out in the bigs. Also they will probably be our first call ups for injury replacements.

Horvat is tricky, if he goes back to junior his expectations will be so high it will almost be unfair to him. If he makes the Nucks than he will obviously be the most interesting prospect.

After that I would say:

McCann (because he has the most potential for a break out year)

Virtanen

Cassels

Tyramkin

Subban

Demko

I think people just aren't considering him as a prospect anymore. Although it looks like he might start the year in the A so I guess they should.

I don't consider him a prospect at all anymore really. In the same way i don't consider Kassian one or Lack one. He's shown he's league ready spent a season in the AHL as well.

He should be on the roster to start the season

I would like to see Jensen and Corrado develop into full time NHL players and make the team during the season.

Gaunce gets a lot of callups and proves that he can play 3C in NHL. Joins the team after trade deadline.

Hutton and Grenier have an excellent season in Utica and become NHL ready, but there's no room on the current roster.

Shinks becomes a top scorer in AHL and shows his scoring potential during callups to the NHL.

Fox has a solid year transitioning to AHL and looks like an NHL player during callups.

Horvat gets 1st line minutes in Jrs and proves that he has 2nd C potential or better.

All of the other prospects continue to improve and have a healthy year.

Like most others, Shinkaruk is most exciting, followed by Virtanen. Its not that I don't feel Gaunce, Horvat, or Jensen are going to be mediocre players, its just that I feel I already know what we're getting with those three. Shink is a wild card and his passion for the game is so great to observe. The kid just lives hockey every minute and I think he's going to provide an energy that the team and this fanbase need.

Corrado. He looked ready last year. Fox because I want to see an overage player from the CHL excel just to prove the naysayers wrong, especially one that can light the lamp.

But I want to see a lot of players excel, to put us in a position where Benning needs to make tough decisions on who to keep or move.

I'm actually quite excited for some of the prospects most people forget and see how they can break through next season

Alex Friesen really came on to the scene during the latter part of Utica's season when key players were hurt and he stepped up offensively to lighten the load of Pelletier, Grenier and O'Reilly. He still is one of my favourite prospects because he reminds me of a heart and soul type of player who is fearless at the same time. Reminds me a lot of Rick Rypien with good hockey sense.

I have the same excitement level for the key prospects like Horvat, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Gaunce etc, but I have a soft spot for Alex Friesen.

As a Comet's fan in Utica, I am really excited to have the chance to see ALL these guys right here in Utica. There is something special about watching these guys "mature" right in front of your eyes. I'm so looking forward to this season.

Archived