The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Doug Wilson said

granpappy

The thing is when your GM is astutely capable assessing talent the franchise can win now and do well in every draft.

The tankers still want the team to die so they can have a possible resurrection but the rebirth is well underway,already.

Oh,ye of little faith.

Exactly. How did Boston get Chara? How did Detroit get Datsyuk? Philly Giroux? Don't have to tank to get franchise players. Heck, the OP referenced Cyclone Taylor. The Millionaires didn't tank to get him, they lured him over with money and a chance to win.

What did Doug Wilson say?

Is there a link?

Am I asking too many questions? :shock:

I'd also like to see the quote the OP is referencing.

It's more than a little frustrating when a thread titled "What Doug Wilson said" doesn't tell us what Doug Wilson actually said (like with a quote and link).

And when I tried googling "Doug Wilson tanking" the first search result was this thread (and the other results didn't mention Wilson saying anything along the lines of him having considered "tanking" next season).

Here's the only quote I could find that resembles what the OP mentioned:

"I can understand when people say there are different types of rebuild," Wilson told David Pollak of The San Jose Mercury News. "We're not going to finish last to try and draft people first or second. This is not something this franchise can do, because we already have some good players in key positions. You're not going to see us with 50 points next year -- we're too good a team for that."

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/536028

And I read that quote as Wilson saying something very different from what's suggested in the OP.

The thing is when your GM is astutely capable assessing talent the franchise can win now and do well in every draft.

The tankers still want the team to die so they can have a possible resurrection but the rebirth is well underway,already.

Oh,ye of little faith.

What ever spot we get, we need to draft good. That's all. Good drafting equals=LA,ANA,CHI,PIT,SJ,BOS etc.

We don't need to tank for the 1st overall.. we just need to draft good in any pick we get which we lacked until last year and this year.... but I guess if we are going that root, I'm supporting this team 100%.

Exactly. How did Boston get Chara? How did Detroit get Datsyuk? Philly Giroux? Don't have to tank to get franchise players. Heck, the OP referenced Cyclone Taylor. The Millionaires didn't tank to get him, they lured him over with money and a chance to win.

You guys do realize top draft picks have a far better chance to pan out right?

Also do you guys know how awful the Canucks are at drafting?

Why not get a lock like McDavid or Eichel since the Canucks have no chance to compete with the top teams of today.

Give me a team that plays their asses off every night and loses games because of lack of talent as opposed to lack of heart and I will cheer for them til the day I die.

If we tank from the outset, and I have to watch a season of hockey that was even remotely as bad as last years, I for one will have a hard time watching my team the following year, whether we get Mcdavid or Eichel or whoever. To hell with that. Play hard. Entertain me. There's lots to be excited about with the off season we had and this upcoming year. You pro tankers make me sick.

Exactly. How did Boston get Chara? How did Detroit get Datsyuk? Philly Giroux? Don't have to tank to get franchise players.

Precisely.Benning has addressed this by saying he is from a scouting background and he expects to identify and pick two NHL players from each draft.

He will develop his youth under a winning environment so there is no confusion on his vision.

Benning is new here and so fans either don't understand and/or accept what he is doing or do not believe he is capable.

The franchise just went from a losing to elite player assessment level and it will take a while for that to be evident.

I'd rather see a competitive team make or nearly miss the playoffs and then orchestrate a deal to move our mid-round pick and another asset to target a higher selection for someone that the management deems worth the move.

Think 15-20th overall pick and Nick Bonino to move up to the top 10.

Benning is in large part responsible for Boston's success.

He was responsible for player assessment ,drafting superior talent while trading successfully ,as well.

It is understandable that some fans still don't understand whom Benning is but his record is well established.

I'd also like to see the quote the OP is referencing.

It's more than a little frustrating when a thread titled "What Doug Wilson said" doesn't tell us what Doug Wilson actually said (like with a quote and link).

And when I tried googling "Doug Wilson tanking" the first search result was this thread (and the other results didn't mention Wilson saying anything along the lines of him having considered "tanking" next season).

Here's the only quote I could find that resembles what the OP mentioned:

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/536028

And I read that quote as Wilson saying something very different from what's suggested in the OP.

Poor ol' granpappy is a little confused if that is what he is referencing...but don't tell him otherwise; he's been watching hockey since Cyclone Taylor tore it up. He knows it all.

Draft well, trade well, pick up good free agents, play well and build a winning culture. That's the "rebuild" formula that I like.

Why not get a lock like McDavid or Eichel since the Canucks have no chance to compete with the top teams of today.

I know it's hard with the Canucks history but you have to give the new regime a chance.

Also, even once you pick the elite talent it's no slam dunk they become stars, you do have to develop them. Canucks picked Neely after all.

your writing this team off and they haven't played a game yet....for shame...

Ok guys enought do the anti tank threads. We get it now. The only 2 teams that are tanking are the leafs and oilers who made the least attempts to win.

Toronto made a bunch of lateral moves.

Edmonton just signed a couple bottom 6 dmans.

Don't forget the Islanders, granted they tank despite themselves. Buffalo will get the 1st overall pick and it'll be from them. Hope Dal Colle and half a season of Vanek was worth it.

you need to think. these guys don't need to try to lose. it will be very difficult for them to win games. as the season goes on and the hopes of a 1 and out fade, that is where the so called tank takes place.

1: realize no 1 and out

2: ship vets out for prospects/picks

3: amass less points

4: pick higher in the draft

if you want to take the time you will see that the odds are with the higher picks. sure some don't work out but them lower round gems are few and far between. mostly pie in the sky. read some of the other posts and review the history of the penguins for one.

i don't want 'your team' to lose. you are absurd. try to convince all those flames owners about 'their team' when they hung on to the end. very little assets remained for their rebuild.

this is doug wilson. i think i read it in the sun or province on-line. able to find this: he seems to be inferring that if they did not have such a good team, they would try for a higher pick. oh dear, he is not a fan

"I can understand when people say there are different types of rebuild," he said. "We're not going to finish last to try and draft people first or second. This is not something this franchise can do, because we already have some good players in key positions. You're not going to see us with 50 points next year -- we're too good a team for that."

I don't think that quote infers what you're saying it infers.

This is a real stretch in fact. He's talking about how his team is in a rebuild and that there's more ways to do it than just finishing dead last and drafting first or second.

He's actually saying that they aren't going to tank.

We may be close to rebuild completion anyway if our defense pans out. We will need a franchise center and/or d-man to complete it though.

I don't think we can do anything but watch the season unfold anyway. No reason to get all mad about a mere concept (that most don't even grasp anyway).

Most people on here seem like they've never heard the word 'tank' until last season, and still don't know what it means. It means team management has short-stacked the roster so they have no real ability to win...it has nothing to do with the players not giving 100% and playing to the best of their ability. I don't like the idea of tanking, but in the Canucks current situation, I have no problem going with plenty of younger players, developing them, and letting the chips fall where they may as far as wins and losses go.

i'm glad doug wilson finally alluded to it. his team, he said might have 'tanked' in a bid for a high pick next year but as he also said, the sharks are still too good. so it's nice to know that in the gm circles this subject gets broached.

jb cannot be so sure of his canucks being too good still. he will be (as are many supporters) hoping for a bounce back year. this will be plan a i guess. he cannot not have a plan b. if the team does not bounce back, i'm guessing (hoping) he moves as quick as he has in this off season. it has been well discussed already. off load vets, pick up picks/prospects and 'tank.'

so, the very many 'holier than thou,' can now realize that this 'tanking' concept is within the mindset of the brass. and if the brass can think it so can the fan. and i for one am a fan. i remember watching cyclone taylor on sat nights at pacific coliseam watching the canucks, i go back a way. don't insult me about the way the game of hockey works. anyone who wants a 1 and out should go and watch ballet. you are happy to get your a** kicked?!! absolutely disgusting. believe me no one who has played this game is EVER happy to go 1 and out. so a little pain and then some gain and then the realistic expectation to go deep into the playoffs.

when is a loss a win? i will be counting the losses this year and looking forward to the possibility of getting barzal or ??. most of the players we will want on the team in 3 yrs will be playing in the minors. what do i care about a bunch of well paid vets suffering through a bad season? you think you need to be a loyal fan. what a laugh you so called 'true blue.' these guys are paid professionals. bobby orr is the only player i have heard of to tear up a contract because he didnt feel he played well enough. he is the exception. the possibility of drafting another home town kid with talent is what i look forward to not a 1 and out.

you must really be an old timer..i'm 75 and cyclone's career ended before i was born...i was a fan when rocket richard played.....and mickey mantle in baseball....you must be 85 or so....a true fan who watches a game, wouldn't contemplate tanking,none that i'ld have any respect for anyway....if you are an old timer...i'm sorry i don't respect your views.

Buffalo made 5 ufa signings on July 1st. Including Matt Moulsin Brian gionta and defencemen Andre mazarous.

They had to get to the floor somehow. Could you imagine being that awful AND losing your pick due to cap circumvention?

i'm glad doug wilson finally alluded to it. his team, he said might have 'tanked' in a bid for a high pick next year but as he also said, the sharks are still too good. so it's nice to know that in the gm circles this subject gets broached.

jb cannot be so sure of his canucks being too good still. he will be (as are many supporters) hoping for a bounce back year. this will be plan a i guess. he cannot not have a plan b. if the team does not bounce back, i'm guessing (hoping) he moves as quick as he has in this off season. it has been well discussed already. off load vets, pick up picks/prospects and 'tank.'

so, the very many 'holier than thou,' can now realize that this 'tanking' concept is within the mindset of the brass. and if the brass can think it so can the fan. and i for one am a fan. i remember watching cyclone taylor on sat nights at pacific coliseam watching the canucks, i go back a way. don't insult me about the way the game of hockey works. anyone who wants a 1 and out should go and watch ballet. you are happy to get your a** kicked?!! absolutely disgusting. believe me no one who has played this game is EVER happy to go 1 and out. so a little pain and then some gain and then the realistic expectation to go deep into the playoffs.

when is a loss a win? i will be counting the losses this year and looking forward to the possibility of getting barzal or ??. most of the players we will want on the team in 3 yrs will be playing in the minors. what do i care about a bunch of well paid vets suffering through a bad season? you think you need to be a loyal fan. what a laugh you so called 'true blue.' these guys are paid professionals. bobby orr is the only player i have heard of to tear up a contract because he didnt feel he played well enough. he is the exception. the possibility of drafting another home town kid with talent is what i look forward to not a 1 and out.

I don't presume to decide who is a fan and who is not. As a fellow old guy I will say, anyone..ANYONE who welcomes tanking (cheating the system) for picks has a loser mentality. I can not stomach the concept and I will express my loathing for the concept as long as people continue to post about it. Tanking = Losers. JB an TL are not losers, we are not tanking, get over it.

I'd really to see the quote you are referring to, because if you think the Sharks tanked this year then you were watching Discover Channel, not NHL Hockey.

You do realize Granpappy that last season's debacle was largely do to the coaching and his style don't you? The season started out OK and then after xmas.........well we all know what happened. Even if we bought into the "tanking" idea do you think they are that bad that it would warrant it at this time? I think you gave up on your team a little prematurely and need to see what a new coach and his system will do. With all the disruptions that have occurred lately I think they have come out not too badly. Give the team at least a full season before you give up on them.

Archived