The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Doug Wilson said

granpappy

As far as im concerned by the trade deadline if this team is not in a playoff position then by all means start unloading the vets and get picks and prospects for the future... you have to decide when enough is enough.. 4 years would be that. If your core group still isn't getting it done chance after chance change it up for christ sakes.

Once again, see this from the eyes of a STH (Season Ticket Holder). Tanking is NOT an option. When you pay that much money to see this team, or any professional team, live, you want the best results you can muster. If it means Bo Horvat stays another year in Junior because he's NOT ready for the show, so be it. I don't want to see any player on the Canucks not ready to be successful at the NHL level. It's bad financial and asset management. Bringing in somebody not ready yet burning off a year or two of his entry-level contract will not serve any fan of the team in the short or long term.

This team will be better WHEN Bo Horvat, Hunter Shinkaruk, Virtanen, McCann etc are ready to take on a role with the team....until then, it is going to be a long season and if we make the playoffs, there is no way this team survives Anaheim, Colorado or LA.

There are huge questions surrounding this team like will the Sedins' go back to being PPG players instead of the 40-50 pt players that they were last season, will Burrows get back to being a goal scorer or will we see another 5 goal effort....can Bonino anchor the 2nd line and find some chemistry with his wingers so that we have an effective 2nd line, will Vrbata gell with the Sedins' ,will Edler learn to play defense and put up some points? Can this team start producing even strength? Can the PP get back to producing? Will this team stop relying so much on the PP and the refs making the call?

If the 2nd line comes together and can provide a scoring line then that will take some pressurre off the Sedin line. If the 3rd line can do the job early so that we don't have a new player in there every game or so....maybe then we can make the playoffs but that is a lot of 'ifs'. It looks to me that we are better off not rushing the young guys which means that we don't become a solid contender for at least 2-3 years.

If we are out of the playoffs, don't expect me to cheer for the wins because what is left to salvage the season is getting a high draft pick,

if you know your history, pittsburgh was so bad, they almost had to move the franchise because no one was going to the games...

i don't respect what they did, never will.

They were close to moving the team after Mario Lemieux retired and before they drafted Crosby+Malkin.

Once again, see this from the eyes of a STH (Season Ticket Holder). Tanking is NOT an option. When you pay that much money to see this team, or any professional team, live, you want the best results you can muster. If it means Bo Horvat stays another year in Junior because he's NOT ready for the show, so be it. I don't want to see any player on the Canucks not ready to be successful at the NHL level. It's bad financial and asset management. Bringing in somebody not ready yet burning off a year or two of his entry-level contract will not serve any fan of the team in the short or long term.

Canuck ownership isn't putting a gun to the fans heads telling them to buy seasons tickets.

If I owned the Canucks I would of shed the payroll down to the floor of 51 million and sacrificed one or two years of ticket sales to draft McDavid/Eichel.

They were close to moving the team after Mario Lemieux retired and before they drafted Crosby+Malkin.

Canuck ownership isn't putting a gun to the fans heads telling them to buy seasons tickets.

If I owned the Canucks I would of shed the payroll down to the floor of 51 million and sacrificed one or two years of ticket sales to draft McDavid/Eichel.

You're a disgraceful fan. The type that gives a bad name. The go cheer for Edmonton/Buffalo if you want to see a team tank is overused because so many people like you want to see us tank. Well let me tell you something: IT'S NOT HAPPENING! Benning himself has said, and that should be the end of it.

Why not get a lock like McDavid or Eichel since the Canucks have no chance to compete with the top teams of today.

Before the break last season, the Canucks were right up with the best teams in the league. They've gotten better since the season ended. If our coach can get the pieces to fit right, we can compete this season as well.

They would lose a lot more than one or two years of ticket sales. They would lose the respect of the players and it would be nearly impossible to sign any talented free agents.

I think this point is lost on a lot of "Let's tank" proponents. If your team sucks, you have more difficulty signing players.

Kesler wanted out, but would only agree to a trade if he was dealt to a contender. A lot of free agents are much more willing to sign with a contender, for less money even, than to go with a club that has a reputation for losing.

i'm glad doug wilson finally alluded to it. his team, he said might have 'tanked' in a bid for a high pick next year but as he also said, the sharks are still too good. so it's nice to know that in the gm circles this subject gets broached.

jb cannot be so sure of his canucks being too good still. he will be (as are many supporters) hoping for a bounce back year. this will be plan a i guess. he cannot not have a plan b. if the team does not bounce back, i'm guessing (hoping) he moves as quick as he has in this off season. it has been well discussed already. off load vets, pick up picks/prospects and 'tank.'

so, the very many 'holier than thou,' can now realize that this 'tanking' concept is within the mindset of the brass. and if the brass can think it so can the fan. and i for one am a fan. i remember watching cyclone taylor on sat nights at pacific coliseam watching the canucks, i go back a way. don't insult me about the way the game of hockey works. anyone who wants a 1 and out should go and watch ballet. you are happy to get your a** kicked?!! absolutely disgusting. believe me no one who has played this game is EVER happy to go 1 and out. so a little pain and then some gain and then the realistic expectation to go deep into the playoffs.

when is a loss a win? i will be counting the losses this year and looking forward to the possibility of getting barzal or ??. most of the players we will want on the team in 3 yrs will be playing in the minors. what do i care about a bunch of well paid vets suffering through a bad season? you think you need to be a loyal fan. what a laugh you so called 'true blue.' these guys are paid professionals. bobby orr is the only player i have heard of to tear up a contract because he didnt feel he played well enough. he is the exception. the possibility of drafting another home town kid with talent is what i look forward to not a 1 and out.

Wow.

granpappy troll might be a better user name for you.

I enjoyed some of your previous posts but it seems like the dementia is kicking in now or else you are trolling.

Enough good content to stir discussion and enough inflammatory content to land a lot of fish.

Cyclone Taylor, Bobby Orr, what, no Gretzky?

You turned Wilson's statement about tanking being inappropriate for the Sharks at this time into something all teams consider; nicely done.

"Holier than thou", you are a real "fan" who is so old that no one can talk to you about how the game of hockey is played without insulting you.

The rest of us should go and "watch ballet, get our asses kicked", we're "worse than disgusting".

And you contradict yourself when you say that anyone who has played the game hates to go one and out but needs "a little pain to make a gain" and have "a realistic expectation to go deep in the playoffs". Do you not see that?

Most of us who have played the game hate to lose period.

We don't like to lose.

We don't like to miss the playoffs.

We don't like to go out in the first round, the second round, we don't like to go out at all.

Win every game and win the Cup.

Not sit around in your Depends full of posts like this "counting our team's losses" and day-dreaming about some kid we might get that might help the team years down the road.

Do you need a napkin for all that drool?

And you don't care about our veteran players?

You see no value in being a loyal fan?

And of course they are professionals!

This is a pro hockey league - there's your dementia showing again.

The only thing you "look forward to is drafting another home town kid with talent"?

Here fishy-fishy, granpappy's got some great bait today.

Put me in your creel Granpappy Troll.

1. Mind posting what he said? Quoted, not paraphrased or taken out of context. Then I'll decide, thanks.

2. "Holier than thou's"? Usually resorting to insults and posting in a somewhat hostile tone do little to convince people to support your ideas.

Honestly, so you think that because you get a top pick you win? Don't talk to us about how much you know about hockey, the first thing to learn is nothing's a given. Edmonton says hi. It's a long, grueling season, followed by playoffs. Takes a special kind of talent, luck, timing to come out on top. Twenty nine teams will fail in that....so you're dumbing it down too much.

All the top-five picks in the world don't mean anything if you keep losing. Do you think Buffalo is going to be a powerhouse when they can't string together a winning season? Doesn't matter how much talent you stockpile.

Teams like Columbus and Dallas are more likely to be a force than the Oilers, Panthers or Sabres. You know why? Because they go out and play to win, and that goes a lot farther than stacking up on kids who don't know anything but losing.

you have to decide when enough is enough..

4 years would be that.

If your core group still isn't getting it done

chance after chance change it up for christ sakes.

Canucks no longer on the 2010-11 roster that eventually went to the SCFinals:

Alberts

Ballard

Bliznak

Bolduc

Desbiens

Ehrhoff

Glass

Hodgson

Kesler

Laperierre

Luongo

Malholtra

Oberg

Oreskovich

Parent

Perrault

Raymond

Rypien RIP

Rome

Salo

Samuelsson

Schaefer

Schneider

Shirokov

Sweatt

Tambellini

Torres

Volpatti

Wow.

granpappy troll might be a better user name for you.

I enjoyed some of your previous posts but it seems like the dementia is kicking in now or else you are trolling.

Enough good content to stir discussion and enough inflammatory content to land a lot of fish.

Cyclone Taylor, Bobby Orr, what, no Gretzky?

You turned Wilson's statement about tanking being inappropriate for the Sharks at this time into something all teams consider; nicely done.

"Holier than thou", you are a real "fan" who is so old that no one can talk to you about how the game of hockey is played without insulting you.

The rest of us should go and "watch ballet, get our asses kicked", we're "worse than disgusting".

And you contradict yourself when you say that anyone who has played the game hates to go one and out but needs "a little pain to make a gain" and have "a realistic expectation to go deep in the playoffs". Do you not see that?

Most of us who have played the game hate to lose period.

We don't like to lose.

We don't like to miss the playoffs.

We don't like to go out in the first round, the second round, we don't like to go out at all.

Win every game and win the Cup.

Not sit around in your Depends full of posts like this "counting our team's losses" and day-dreaming about some kid we might get that might help the team years down the road.

Do you need a napkin for all that drool?

And you don't care about our veteran players?

You see no value in being a loyal fan?

And of course they are professionals!

This is a pro hockey league - there's your dementia showing again.

The only thing you "look forward to is drafting another home town kid with talent"?

Here fishy-fishy, granpappy's got some great bait today.

Put me in your creel Granpappy Troll.

C'mon Goal...no need to be so hard on the old feller...me thinks he fell off his rockin' chair and is a little confused.

You gotta give the old timer props for putting together a rather entertaining post, don't you think? Gramps made about as much sense as some of the other rant and ravers on this site...please be kind to senior citizens, regardless of how ridonculous they may be.

Gotta say, though, your post was pretty damn funny...made me laugh. Thanks.

They've played many games seasons with this core and only came close once, three years ago when everybody had career years. No more Kesler,Schneider,Ehrhoff ect, how will this aging team fare any different from last season when they finished 24th?

:blink:

Honestly, so you think that because you get a top pick you win? Don't talk to us about how much you know about hockey, the first thing to learn is nothing's a given. Edmonton says hi. It's a long, grueling season, followed by playoffs. Takes a special kind of talent, luck, timing to come out on top. Twenty nine teams will fail in that....so you're dumbing it down too much.

Actually, yes they do. Before the draft it had become clear that for some getting the #1 pick is akin to winning the Stanley Cup. I'm sure you saw some of the "proposals" -- outright lunacy.

Canucks no longer on the 2010-11 roster that eventually went to the SCFinals:

Alberts / Ballard / Bliznak / Bolduc / Desbien / Ehrhoff / Glass / Hodgson / Kesler / Laperierre / Luongo / Malholtra / Oberg / Oreskovich / Parent / Perrault / Raymond / Rypien RIP / Salo / Samuelsson / Schaefer / Schneider / Shirokov / Sweatt / Tambellini / Torres / Volpatti

So, if my memory serves me correctly, that's 17 players that were part of the 23 man roster for an extended period at one point or another during the season that are no longer with the Canucks. That's some serious turnover. The only players off of that list that I wish were still here are Christian Ehrhoff, Rick Rypien (RIP), Corey Schneider and Raffi Torres.

Without the benefit of looking it up, who are the guys that are still here?

You are wrong on the Pittburgh account. I watched a program a couple of weeks ago about Pittsburgh tanking to get Mario Lemieux. The coaches, GM, owner etc were all on there....as they said, they did what was best for the team longterm and that was doing everything they could to make sure that they got Mario Lemieux.

I watched the special.

The GM denied tanking.

The coach never coached again in the NHL and took the fall.

The franchise was all but lost.

The fans wore paper bags on their heads.

The GM and owner should have been tossed out of the NHL.

So, if my memory serves me correctly, that's 17 players that were part of the 23 man roster for an extended period at one point or another during the season that are no longer with the Canucks. That's some serious turnover. The only players off of that list that I were still here are Christian Ehrhoff, Rick Rypien (RIP), Corey Schneider and Raffi Torres.

Without the benefit of looking it up, who are the guys that are still here?

Bieksa,Burrows,Edler,Hamhuis,Hansen,Higgins,Dan and Hank.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2011.html

All I can say to this post is, thank goodness GM isn't the owner of the Canucks.

Say what you want about the Aquillinis...but they have spent to the cap every year since they've been the owners and have provided hockey ops with the resources to always be competitive.

Doug Wilson and Maclellan should both be fired.

Every year they start off so strong and everyones like "OMG look out for the Sharks!"

Every year they start to fade as the playoffs inch closer.

Once in the playoffs they choke hard and Doug Wilson put this choke artist team together.

Archived