The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sharks fans not pleased with team's plan to hire ice girls

-AJ-

The girls look great - to men anyway but another way to go would be like (was it?) Nashville where the team acts like a pit crew and times everything and it becomes like a mini-sport within the game.

They changed the glass one time and it was seriously quick. Back to the game!

I notice none of these women look over 150 lbs, where are all the big girls? Show me someone with some size. No obese pics please, obesity is an illness, big gals are just big. :)

Eye candy is in the eye of the beholder, having only skinny gals is unfair and shows the hockey team doesn't care about those who don't like that type of look.

Truthfully beauty is just a fall down a flight of a stairs from being taken away from anyone. Someone with a brain and a good heart is what we should all be looking for.

If its an ice crew like the canucks have and that is all they do and its both men and women I don't see a problem, however if these women are being hired to be some sort of cheerleader.....welll....cheerleading has no place in hockey. If I wanted to watch a bunch of scantly glad women 'cheering' for a sports team I'd watch football.

^ also - before anyone replies with "they aren't that hot", let me respond with "lets see a pic of your girl"

Nobody is going to publicly post a picture of their girlfriend just to prove a point. Especially on a forum like CDC where there are a lot of creeps lurking around. No thanks. I'd rather not post a picture of my girlfriend for people's viewing pleasures.

My problem with ice girls is that it implies that the only way a women is able to get on the ice is if she's wearing a skimpy outfit and tending to the needs of men.

Hockey is still hugely dominated by men. When looking at all 30 NHL teams, I'd say less that 10% of the team's head office payroll is dedicated to women (I mean people who manage the team, not secretaries or housekeeping!). Ice girls give off the wrong message. I'd like to see women behind the bench as trainers and maybe someday as coaches. I'd like to see them in the executives box as GM's or player development heads...not as eye candy models!!!

If people need ice girls as motivation to attend hockey games, they shouldn't be there in the first place :)

My problem with ice girls is that it implies that the only way a women is able to get on the ice is if she's wearing a skimpy outfit and tending to the needs of men.

Hockey is still hugely dominated by men. When looking at all 30 NHL teams, I'd say less that 10% of the team's head office payroll is dedicated to women (I mean people who manage the team, not secretaries or housekeeping!). Ice girls give off the wrong message. I'd like to see women behind the bench as trainers and maybe someday as coaches. I'd like to see them in the executives box as GM's or player development heads...not as eye candy models!!!

If people need ice girls as motivation to attend hockey games, they shouldn't be there in the first place :)

That would be nice, to see more women in positions of power in the NHL. But I think one of the big reasons they aren't is most executives are former players that played in the NHL It would be really cool to see a female coach her way up through junior and the A into the NHL etc.

Maybe if Melody Davidson changed her resume to Mel Davidson.... ;)

Haha sad but true!

That would be nice, to see more women in positions of power in the NHL. But I think one of the big reasons they aren't is most executives are former players that played in the NHL It would be really cool to see a female coach her way up through junior and the A into the NHL etc.

Agreed. Hopefully now that there are a lot of high level players who will soon be retiring, we might get our first look at women in higher positions. There was actually a great article about this whole issue with regards to the Whitecaps. Their COO is a woman and the article just talks about her journey and the "glass ceiling" that still exists.

Gives hope to the rest of us who are trying to make it in sports :)

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Vancouver+Whitecaps+executive+Rachel+Lewis+lone+female+tier/10026898/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Haha sad but true!

Agreed. Hopefully now that there are a lot of high level players who will soon be retiring, we might get our first look at women in higher positions. There was actually a great article about this whole issue with regards to the Whitecaps. Their COO is a woman and the article just talks about her journey and the "glass ceiling" that still exists.

Gives hope to the rest of us who are trying to make it in sports :)

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Vancouver+Whitecaps+executive+Rachel+Lewis+lone+female+tier/10026898/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Interesting article, thanks for that.

Did it ever occur to anyone who is saying "Herp-derp, well that's good for them since they can't get real jobs" that some of these women may actually be working their way through school and have higher aspirations than being on the ice crew?

No, of course you didn't.

Archived