The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sharks fans not pleased with team's plan to hire ice girls

-AJ-

My problem with ice girls is that it implies that the only way a women is able to get on the ice is if she's wearing a skimpy outfit and tending to the needs of men.

Hockey is still hugely dominated by men. When looking at all 30 NHL teams, I'd say less that 10% of the team's head office payroll is dedicated to women (I mean people who manage the team, not secretaries or housekeeping!). Ice girls give off the wrong message. I'd like to see women behind the bench as trainers and maybe someday as coaches. I'd like to see them in the executives box as GM's or player development heads...not as eye candy models!!!

If people need ice girls as motivation to attend hockey games, they shouldn't be there in the first place :)

can they be players? no.... refs? maybe but prolly not.... zamboni drivers? only if they are REALLY motivated...

At least they are on the ice, which is more then I can say for myself

Did it ever occur to anyone who is saying "Herp-derp, well that's good for them since they can't get real jobs" that some of these women may actually be working their way through school and have higher aspirations than being on the ice crew?

No, of course you didn't.

I think someone already mentioned that...

but basically you're saying they can't get real jobs while they are going to school? ok, lucky for them they can get this job

can they be players? no.... refs? maybe but prolly not.... zamboni drivers? only if they are REALLY motivated...

At least they are on the ice, which is more then I can say for myself

I fail to see why it would be so hard for a woman to be a Zamboni driver.

someday a female goalie might make it, but the closest a skater got is Hayley Wickenhieser playing in Europe.

The women's hockey community isn't trying to infiltrate the NHL! We want our own league that plays at the highest level possible for women. As the sport continues to grow and as it continues to churn out high performance athletes, the skill level will go up and the game will become more marketable.

The CWHL doesn't want to merge with the NHL. We want to be self sufficient and feature our own sport our own way!

The women's hockey community isn't trying to infiltrate the NHL! We want our own league that plays at the highest level possible for women. As the sport continues to grow and as it continues to churn out high performance athletes, the skill level will go up and the game will become more marketable.

The CWHL doesn't want to merge with the NHL. We want to be self sufficient and feature our own sport our own way!

Exactly. They have the WNBA. There should be no reason that this can't work as well.

Exactly. They have the WNBA. There should be no reason that this can't work as well.

Precisely. The key with the WNBA is that it's a marketable product and it receives a ton of support from the NBA. Putting forward a marketable product is up to the women. Stepping up and supporting a women's hockey pro league is up to the NHL

Archived