The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To the people saying "trade Burrows" ....

The Listening

The OP was dumb using that old clip. It was bound to bring up the obvious what-have-you-done-for-me-lately backlash. But one thing that is valuable about it is that it shows an example of Burrows scoring WITHOUT a Sedin. He is not a Carter. He not only doesn't need a Sedin to score (although it sure helps), he also doesn't need the Sedins to forecheck tenaciously and to penalty kill expertly.

For all he's done for the Canucks, and proving what he can do when healthy, I think we can give him a mulligan on last season especially since he was perpetually in recovery mode with THREE freaking bad injuries. Playing for a whacky coach that reportedly didn't even want him on the team. IMO I think he'll have a bounce back season.

If he's traded its a huge gamble that you'd get a return of equal value. If you also include the fact of Burrows being so well ingrained and liked on the team, and the fact that any new player must go through adjusting to a new city, new team mates, moving his family etc..I don't get why you'd do it. OK....if the return was absolutely irresistible, never say never. But 4.5 for what a healthy Burrows can deliver on a nightly basis?.....Its ridiculous to even consider it.

And I'll also add, I am not discounting the chance we go all the way next year. That's right, I said it. Any year you can be firing on all cylinders at just the right time. Other teams can (for once) have key injury troubles. With our new players, including MIller, with a healthy Burrows, and Santo, and whoever we get with the Kesler cap space...Add some luck from the Hockey Gods anything is possible. Its happened before with other teams. We still have the Sedins signed. We are not Calgary.....yet. We don't need to completely blow the team up at this point.

Trevor Linden's answer to the question about the whereabouts of Santorelli..."uhhh, Toronto?"

I'm willing to give Burrows one more season to show if he can bounce back again. To be fair, he had a horrible run of bad luck with injuries galore, and had trouble with Tort's system like many others did. But if the slumping continues this season, with a new coach and a return to the up tempo style the Canucks are used to, there will be no excuse for it. He's done great things for the team but if he is to stay he has to produce at a level that is proportionate to his large salary. That goes for any other player as well.

What team would not want a Alex Burrows to head up their bottom 6? The issue that has to be determined is whether he can regain his scoring which his salary demands. Even without scoring he is a very solid setup man. His lack of point production dwelt on his scoring but fans should also consider how many of his passes were whiffed on, that should have been goals.

As much as I am a advocate for converting aging vets into future assets I consider Burrows a core player. Moving him is all about the return. If the season does not go well for the Canucks in general I suspect there will be many vets on the block come March. It is the best time to convert as teams make their playoff pushes. Fans should never forget what Burrows has done for this team. He has always put the team first. His desire to win has to influence the younger players in a positive way.

I wouldn't say that he's rotten, but he's certainly rotten in the eyes of the refs and the rest of the league. He cried wolf too many times with his diving, to the point where it hurts him and the rest of the team.

If the referees are making calls and not making calls based off of the past behaviour of the player, then that just goes to show that NHL is rotten. Refs should always do their best remain unbiased.

How many times has management brought in a player to play with the twins, just to have it all blow up in their face?

Burrows has had proven success with the twins. If Vrbata doesn't work out with them, Burrows will be back on their wing.

It would be wise to keep him to start the season. If it looks like Vrbata is clicking with the twins, I met you management and coaching will conspire to move him to the 4th line so he will waive his NTC.

So winning without Burrows is possible too?

Of course. One day he'll be gone. Or maybe behind the bench. When the time is right.

Trevor Linden's answer to the question about the whereabouts of Santorelli..."uhhh, Toronto?"

Ok, I had no idea. The thought never occured to me that Benning and LInden were that stupid as to allow this gem to slip away. A Vancouver born player, stoked to play here, our best forward per ice time last season. Reminds me of a mid-form Burrows actually. That management refused to consider more than a year signing?!!!! Really dumb. Watch him pump goals in for the Leafs.

This is a case of "what have you done for me lately".

Trade Burrows.

Lets see...If you look past last year in an injury riddled season and where we had a dysfunctional coach and every player dropped production....in the shortened season before that he was...let me see....our leading scorer.

Burrows was the #1 ranked PK in the NHL in 2009/2010, and top 10 every year since.

His season last year was an anomaly.

There is probably nothing what so ever to worry about here..

But, if the streakiness continues, yep, trade.

Of course. One day he'll be gone. Or maybe behind the bench. When the time is right.

Ok, I had no idea. The thought never occured to me that Benning and LInden were that stupid as to allow this gem to slip away. A Vancouver born player, stoked to play here, our best forward per ice time last season. Reminds me of a mid-form Burrows actually. That management refused to consider more than a year signing?!!!! Really dumb. Watch him pump goals in for the Leafs.

Lets see...If you look past last year in an injury riddled season and where we had a dysfunctional coach and every player dropped production....in the shortened season before that he was...let me see....our leading scorer.

Well, if that's how he is "perceived" around the league then we should trade him now as he is worth a lot more than I thought he was.

Keeping Burrows just because he scored the OT winner after he gave up the tying goal to Toews with an incredibly greedy and self interested play a minute before the end of the 3rd is incredibly naïve and beyond stupid,

The bottom line is his contract is horrible. That's why some people say trade him. I don't mind keeping him but not if we can improve the team somehow by dumping that ridiculous country club contract that MG gave him.

Trade Burrows? He has a no-trade clause. Benning would have to convince him first. There are rumours that Burrows has already declined. Bennings hands are tied at this point.

If Burrows has declined a trade then he will have to earn his spot again. He will not be gifted a spot this season. If you look at our lineup, we have too many mid-size guys. To me either Hansen or Burrows should be moved to make room for younger players to start getting their NHL experience.

Very simply put... what Burrows HAS done, in no way shape or form dictates the future success of this team. Burrows must be judged by what he does from here on out in order to determine his trade worthiness, or conversely if he should be kept.

I'm willing to give him the year to bounce back, I don't like it because I believe there's too much risk but whatever.

All I'm saying is that those who believe that he is going to magically bounce back to form based on nothing other than blind faith are what I like to call "Burrlievers".

The Canucks as an organization cannot allow sentiment to cloud judgement, if Burrows isn't performing offensively enough to support his price tag, regardless of his other skills, he has to be moved.

I went into it in great detail in another thread, but those other skills such as PK and defensive play which earned him the opportunity to play with the Sedins, has significantly waned over the years. His game has transitioned from a shutdown, agitating PK role to a 2 way offensive game.

Archived