The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To the people saying "trade Burrows" ....

The Listening

Of course. One day he'll be gone. Or maybe behind the bench. When the time is right.

Ok, I had no idea. The thought never occured to me that Benning and LInden were that stupid as to allow this gem to slip away. A Vancouver born player, stoked to play here, our best forward per ice time last season. Reminds me of a mid-form Burrows actually. That management refused to consider more than a year signing?!!!! Really dumb. Watch him pump goals in for the Leafs.

Lets see...If you look past last year in an injury riddled season and where we had a dysfunctional coach and every player dropped production....in the shortened season before that he was...let me see....our leading scorer.

The only good reason for JB/TL signing Santorelli would be to have him as a replacement for Burrows and/or Hansen. Santorelli would have been able to do much of what Burrows and Hansen could do at a much lower cap hit, but since Burrows refuses to be moved, and Hansen is still around, redundant is a word for Santorelli that comes to mind. Santorelli is many things, but a "gem" is a stretch.

Burrows being the top scorer in 2012-2013 is what is wrong with the Canucks. If Burrows at 12 goals (20-21 goals for 82 games) is your leading goal scorer, changes need to be made. Burrows' production has been on a decline and fell over the cliff last season, so you may want to reconsider your argument for what he's done lately.

Lets face it...the core up front needs to evolve. The Sedins aren't going anywhere; Kesler's gone (or did you miss that one too?). Common sense suggests that next group of players to consider moving would be Burrows, Higgins and Hansen (with all three unfortunately having NTCs of some sort or another). If you look at the total package that each player brings to the organization, my money would be to keep Higgins and trade Burrows and Hansen.

You have Benning saying that kids pushing and earning a spot will be accomodated. Burrows has his work cut out. AV is gone and favoritism stopped last season. This season, Burrows will have to earn his spot.

I think that's why Kesler bowed out of this system. He's the type of player who thinks his 2C position is his and his alone.

I don't belive Burrows is like that by any means. Same as Bieksa. These two will always work to keep what little they have. But for this upcoming season, the competition just got much better for almost all position except goaltending.

Everybody remembers Chicago, but let's not forget the rest either...and there is lots more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSor_f7xpcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4VcsGosP3o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8kUSt4CFec

To those arguing his contract is junk, he had one bad injury filled year. Our entire top line could not possibly sink any lower. Fine your argument wins, he had a bad year. He will bounce back.

I remember watching that DET shoot-out. I stood up and starting cheering "game over" before he even left centre ice.

Bottom line, if the game is on the line, you want to have this guy on the ice! Lot's of gas left in the tank yet.

Keeping Burrows just because he scored the OT winner after he gave up the tying goal to Toews with an incredibly greedy and self interested play a minute before the end of the 3rd is incredibly naïve and beyond stupid,

The bottom line is his contract is horrible. That's why some people say trade him. I don't mind keeping him but not if we can improve the team somehow by dumping that ridiculous country club contract that MG gave him.

People have selective memories, Dogbyte. Thanks for reminding me of one of Burrows' selfish plays he has made...like I said in my previous post, if OP is going to show one moment (albeit a great moment in Canucks history) to illustrate a point, then we need to look at Burrows' entire body of work.

When I look at Burrows' career with the Canucks, his balance sheet reads as "0". For every one good thing he's done, he's done something stupid or selfish to counter balance it...for everything he's done to help the team, he's done something to hurt the team.

We've seen very good players see their games drop off dramatically in the past...Scott Gomez, Jonathan Cheechoo, Chris Drury, Brad Richards are some that come to mind. IMO, Burrows will be joining these ranks shortly.

A lot of people are saying don't trade Burrows because he has no value...

I don't think too many people are suggesting trading him for a bag of pucks. If there is a deal out there that makes the Canucks a better team in the long run (such as the rumored deal with the Devils) it makes perfect sense for JB to listen and take the deal to Burrows if it makes sense.

Suggesting that he is irreplacable, or that we should keep him because of a goal 4 years after the fact is just silly, IMO.

And this is exactly the mentality that constantly leaves Canucks' fans disappointed with management.

"TRADE LOW!"

I remind the simple CDCers once again this is not the stock market and everyone has the same amount of money to play with.

WHO FREAKING CARES ABOUT GETTING VALUE BACK IN TRADES - Burrows has never been and will never be worth $4.5 m/year - so we're just supposed to keep on the team forever?

Of course. One day he'll be gone. Or maybe behind the bench. When the time is right.

Ok, I had no idea. The thought never occured to me that Benning and LInden were that stupid as to allow this gem to slip away. A Vancouver born player, stoked to play here, our best forward per ice time last season. Reminds me of a mid-form Burrows actually. That management refused to consider more than a year signing?!!!! Really dumb. Watch him pump goals in for the Leafs.

Lets see...If you look past last year in an injury riddled season and where we had a dysfunctional coach and every player dropped production....in the shortened season before that he was...let me see....our leading scorer.

It's already been mentioned but yeah that's horrible when Burrows is your leading scorer.

I hate to say it but Burrows has done jack squat without the Sedins offensively. He is non-existent without Henrik and Daniel in the points category, he is a tenacious 3rd line checker/PK'er, not a top 6 player. To the people that talk about chemistry blah, blah, blah, with the Sedins that's a downright freaking joke. The only reason that Burrows has had any success is our management has had their collective heads up their asses for 10 years now. How you have the best passer of the last decade in the world on your team as a first line center and you give him the following wingers to work with defies logic:

Klatt

Krog

Arvedsson

Carter

Pyatt

King

Bernier

Burrows

really not that much of an accomplishment considering they have never played for any period of time with a skilled player. A true first line sniper would have been scoring 50+ goals a year with Sedins, unfortunately that time is probably over as the Sedins are getting up there in age.

At least Benning knows what he is doing and he will actually try to put capable players in that position. The idea of giving him a year to bounce back is laughable as well. Bounce back to what? With the Sedins slowing down there is no way he's scoring 25+ goals again.

I would love to eat my words but I see Burrows getting maybe 14 goals and 35 points this year if he's extremely lucky and he gets time with the Sedins. If he plays on the third line he might have trouble cracking 30 points, which is pretty much his average over the last 14 years of hockey.

Op living in the past....burrows will have a better season than the last one for sure (how can you not after this last one, it was so bad for burrows). Burrows is on the downward slope for sure, needs to go so there is some kind of return

Forget the past. Hes sorta useless now. Rather see young players take his spot. Not sure if there ready tho :/

So you rather see a prospect who isn't ready for the NHL over a player that is in the NHL and isn't out of place.

To say Burrows is useless is a complete stretch. He can play PP and PK. Burrows can also score at the NHL level, even though he had a bad season last year. If Burrows wants to be traded than trade him, but for now he should remain a Canuck.

Unless it's in a package for Kane(assuming he waives his ntc), we keep him. He just ran into injury trouble last year. Lots of things went wrong for him.

Burrows brings so much to the table, it's ridiculous that people just say trade him. He plays a solid 2 way game, above average speed, agitates, scores big goals, top pk duty, and more. He's valuable.

So you rather see a prospect who isn't ready for the NHL over a player that is in the NHL and isn't out of place.

To say Burrows is useless is a complete stretch. He can play PP and PK. Burrows can also score at the NHL level, even though he had a bad season last year. If Burrows wants to be traded than trade him, but for now he should remain a Canuck.

Even with his 'multiple' injuries last year Burrows was a player who was where he was supposed to be when he was supposed to be there. He has always been able to read the play, that is why he is a superiorPK'er. No player is untradeable and Burrow's time might eventually come. Trading him because he is now apoor player is a joke.

To those arguing his contract is junk, he had one bad injury filled year. Our entire top line could not possibly sink any lower. Fine your argument wins, he had a bad year. He will bounce back.

I remember watching that DET shoot-out. I stood up and starting cheering "game over" before he even left centre ice.

Bottom line, if the game is on the line, you want to have this guy on the ice! Lot's of gas left in the tank yet.

I hope so - I used to have patience with players, Booth for example - but no more.

These are highly paid athletes - they have zero excuse for poor play - if they are injured - or coming off an injury or not yet 100%, do the team a favour and don't take a roster spot. Go play on the farm team for conditioning until you really are ready.

Unless it's in a package for Kane(assuming he waives his ntc), we keep him. He just ran into injury trouble last year. Lots of things went wrong for him.

Burrows brings so much to the table, it's ridiculous that people just say trade him. He plays a solid 2 way game, above average speed, agitates, scores big goals, top pk duty, and more. He's valuable.

This. Thanks for saving me the energy of typing it out.

Burr had an injury riddled season. Get off his back you unappreciative jerks

Burr had an injury riddled season. Get off his back you unappreciative jerks

Still played 49 games and barely produced for a player that is paid 4.5m to produce. Injuries are just an excuse IF you don't play well. Plenty of players return from injuries and never miss a beat.

How will you feel if he stalls out of the gate this season? Still not fully recovered? Bad chemistry? We all better hope he 'returns to form' or it's going to get uglier towards him.

wow

turn coats

remember Clutch?

Nobody is turning on anyone, moving on is waht happens in the sports world. Do you want to be sitting at the bottom for 5 years ? He is aging...yes, yes he was one of our heroes in the PAST. He will bounce back that is what Burr does. Is he going to score 30 ? No. 20 quite possibly on the right line.......but if I see Burr with the twins again I will shoot myself. How stale do the chips have to get ?

Benning has pulled the blinders off our past failures and has literally turned the ship 180. How it plays out is coming soon to a hockey arena near you......

I would think that, should he regain some of his previous shine, he's the first on the trading block if it looks like there COULD be a playoff push, come deadline. It looked more a timing issue, last season. He's still fast enough, let's wait and see if he can get that timing back

Archived