The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'I Like This One The Best' - Shawn Matthias...

nux4lyfe

...Showing off his jerseys.

Always liked this guy a lot, still think He has tons of potential and a lot to prove.

Glad He's on our side, I expect great things from him.

Gotta love it, "i like this one the best".....

I love players that actually want to be here and play here, thank god that Luongo/Kesler crap is over!

To new Benning's, cheers!....and yes, Thanks MG.

Watching the latest vids on him I know he will be a great locker room guy too. I love how Benning called him and said "I wanted to trade for you in when I was in Boston." Imho this really shows Benning is a players GM. Getting really anxious for main camp to start :D

Watching the latest vids on him I know he will be a great locker room guy too. I love how Benning called him and said "I wanted to trade for you in when I was in Boston." Imho this really shows Benning is a players GM. Getting really anxious for main camp to start :D

Really? Benning said that? that's dope man!

Really? Benning said that? that's dope man!

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=726642&navid=DL%7CVAN%7Chome

10:00 a.m. – “This is awkward, I’ve never worked out in front of a camera before,” laughed Shawn. “I feel good today though, I talked to Jim Benning yesterday and we discussed the season, so I’m pumped. He told me he tried to trade for me when he was in Boston. That’s nice to hear.

I'm really enjoying this series by Jory & the gang... doing all of these hometown visits with some of our Canucks this summer. I wonder who's next?

They're all done. They saw Kassian, Corrado, Matthias and Richardson. They have videos up on their YouTube page and stories up on the FortNucks blog, plus lots of photos and quotes on Twitter.

I think that perhaps Hansen does not fit in the top 9 here and should probably be moved. I don't think he is physical enough consistently for a 4th line role either and doesn't have enough offensive upside to be consistent on the third line and contribute scoring.

His salary is quite a bit to pay a 4th liner if he indeed becomes that on this team.

The forward lineup could very well look like this to start:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Matthias-Vey

Sestito-Richardson-Dorsett

Matthias also congratulated Virtanen on Twitter right after he got drafted by the Canucks. Also congratulated McCann later on. Good guy who cares about this team. Not a bad hockey player either.

Edit:

"@ShawnMatthias: Congratulations Jared McCann and Jake Virtanen looking forward to meeting you both! Exciting day for @VanCanucks fans!"

I think that perhaps Hansen does not fit in the top 9 here and should probably be moved. I don't think he is physical enough consistently for a 4th line role either and doesn't have enough offensive upside to be consistent on the third line and contribute scoring.

His salary is quite a bit to pay a 4th liner if he indeed becomes that on this team.

The forward lineup could very well look like this to start:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Matthias-Vey

Sestito-Richardson-Dorsett

Honey Badger don't play a physical enough game? :blink:

:picard:

Honey Badger did not agree with sit back and don't attack John Tortorella! He needs to be flying at D trying to handle the puck at the point, not waiting to get hit by their shot in the slot. He needs to be out fore-checking, hitting guys, not sitting back in a neutral zone trap trying to pick off passes with his stick. He's the very essence of a pressuring, in your face forward.

Honey Badger don't play a physical enough game? :blink:

:picard:

Honey Badger did not agree with sit back and don't attack John Tortorella! He needs to be flying at D trying to handle the puck at the point, not waiting to get hit by their shot in the slot. He needs to be out fore-checking, hitting guys, not sitting back in a neutral zone trap trying to pick off passes with his stick. He's the very essence of a pressuring, in your face forward.

In the past he has done it in spurts but it is hard to maintain a consistent energy level over the course of a 82 game season which is why 4th liners get scratched and moved around as there play goes up and down.

Is 2.5 mil worth it though on a player who is maybe a 4th line player on this team? In the past he has proven to knock in a handful of goals but he is really streaky and has stone hands.

In the past he has done it in spurts but it is hard to maintain a consistent energy level over the course of a 82 game season which is why 4th liners get scratched and moved around as there play goes up and down.

Is 2.5 mil worth it though on a player who is maybe a 4th line player on this team? In the past he has proven to knock in a handful of goals but he is really streaky and has stone hands.

Hansen is one of our best defensive forwards. And there is no issue playing a 4th liner 2.5 million if you aren't pressed up against the cap. We had a 4.5 million in Booth/Ballard before (both have played 4th line at some point in time over the past few seasons). But this isn't a Hansen thread...

I too have liked Mathias and had wanted the Canucks to try to aquire him for several seasons now. I had been hoping for a Mathias and Gudbranson deal when Luongo first made it known he wanted to go back to Florida. Glad to see him in a Van jersey. I think he'll grow into the ideal 3rd line center and will be a lock there for quite some time. And Kudos to Benning for his phone call. Goes a long way to getting players to feeling motivated to play here...

Archived