The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Update: Human Error Blamed for Skytrain/Millenium Line System Shut Down - Union Protest Suspension

DonLever

I think they should have. People are assholes and will never be pleased. There is no clause that says Translink has to provide 100% reliability. Likewise, your cars aren't 100% reliable either.

Nice gesture, but there will be tons of complaining, I can guarantee.

Not to be one of the ones complaining but unless the dock like a whole days worth of travel off of the price of monthly passes this 'free' trip is a joke!

Also why have it on a holiday? Most people don't have to use transit that much.

Not to be one of the ones complaining but unless the dock like a whole days worth of travel off of the price of monthly passes this 'free' trip is a joke!

Also why have it on a holiday? Most people don't have to use transit that much.

An apology and free day of transit is better than I get if some idiot goes the wrong way in the tunnel counter-flow lane or drives an over-height truck in to an overpass or a commercial truck stalls out or flips on an on ramp etc.

Nobody's offering me a free $5 gas card for my troubles.

Get over it.

It all comes down to money. If you don't want to invest more in the system, this is what you end up with.

Who's going to pay for that person to drive around the city to notify you of a bus cancellation? Keep in mind that there are hundreds of cancellations or short-turns a day. Who's going to pay for a rail system along the Broadway corridor? Who's going to pay for upgrading for the trains?

It's an aging system, but it is still a very good one. Clearly you live in a low-ridership area if your bus wait is an hour. I use to live in an area where it was a 1 hour, one way only route on PEAK HOURS. It was simply just a product of where I lived, not Translink's downfall.

1. This is a very disturbing point of view cos from what you are saying so far, it sounds like everything in the society never need to improve because hey, who is going to pay for it?

Who cares about how bad the system is? who cares about how much problem it causes on a daily basis? because hey, who is going to pay for it?

This is how fuck up the opinion is, because you should never need to introduce anything new or improve on anything because no one will want to pay for it.

2. low ridership? maybe. But the fact that they jack up the price the year they change the frequency from 30 mins to an hour is hard to justify and it happens to a lot of lines too. When you increase the fair, you expect better service, not backward. Are you justifying that someone should jack up the price but dumb down the service in ANY business model?

3. who is going to pay for the person to notify passengers when there is canceled bus? I dont know.. .maybe the supervisors from the terminal stations should come out and tell people that? how about the security dudes? hell is it hard for bus drivers in the terminal stations to tell people one of the bus had been cancel? a radio shout out??

how about having a twittter channel for cancel buses?

Wow is it that hard? you are making it sound like it's impossible or very costy to provide some very very basic feature on a public transit system

1. This is a very disturbing point of view cos from what you are saying so far, it sounds like everything in the society never need to improve because hey, who is going to pay for it?

Who cares about how bad the system is? who cares about how much problem it causes on a daily basis? because hey, who is going to pay for it?

This is how frack up the opinion is, because you should never need to introduce anything new or improve on anything because no one will want to pay for it.

2. low ridership? maybe. But the fact that they jack up the price the year they change the frequency from 30 mins to an hour is hard to justify and it happens to a lot of lines too. When you increase the fair, you expect better service, not backward. Are you justifying that someone should jack up the price but dumb down the service in ANY business model?

3. who is going to pay for the person to notify passengers when there is canceled bus? I dont know.. .maybe the supervisors from the terminal stations should come out and tell people that? how about the security dudes? hell is it hard for bus drivers in the terminal stations to tell people one of the bus had been cancel? a radio shout out??

Wow is it that hard? you are making it sound like it's impossible or very costy to provide some very very basic feature on a public transit system

1. Doesn't make sense.

2. They optimize the system, efficiently allocating buses to where they generate the most ridership. Outlying areas get worse service but it's not cost effective to run a bus to the burbs every 10 minutes when it's mostly empty all the time.

3. Most of that happens but of course people get missed.

4. https://twitter.com/TransLink

They provide up to date bus re-routes, etc.

This is how frack up the opinion is, because you should never need to introduce anything new or improve on anything because no one will want to pay for it.

1) We pay for things via taxes, fares, and whatnot. I don't have a problem paying more for certain services and public systems, and I never said I had one.

2) So you're whining about rising fares? Didn't you just say that you shouldn't be in point #1, since someone has to pay for them?

An increase in fare and an increase in service have nothing to do with each other. Increases in fares are to cover the costs of the existing services. We no longer live in a world where fuel costs 59.9 cents/L (or whatever diesel was 5-10 years ago). They're not dumbing down the service, they're being smart about it.

You aren't even denying that your route has low ridership. Service optimization is EVERYWHERE. Would it make sense to have 20 or so fire departments in Squamish? No. Not enough people live there to justify it. Vancouver on the other hand? Yes. Same with transit. Does it make sense to allocate resources to a route where the buses will sit empty more often than not? No.

3) You seriously don't know ANYTHING about the transit system. There are thousands of buses operating at any one time, not to mention trains as well. Do you really think that a transit supervisor running around the city for courtesy is a good use of resources? Oh, and like I said before, there are hundreds of un-forseen trip cancellations and short-turns every day. It's not plausible to post up signs or have runners everywhere. Translink has a twitter feed already, and they've been going for a long time now. So before you criticize, know your stuff.

You're point of view is very naive and ignorant. Reality check: the world doesn't revolve around you, and you can't always have it both ways. There are millions of other people that are out there that rely on the transit system.

An apology and free day of transit is better than I get if some idiot goes the wrong way in the tunnel counter-flow lane or drives an over-height truck in to an overpass or a commercial truck stalls out or flips on an on ramp etc.

Nobody's offering me a free $5 gas card for my troubles.

Get over it.

Do you have to pay to use the tunnel ? honest question. Because I have to pay to use transit and I don't see why I should just 'get over it' when I am paying for a service that I am not receiving!

Do you have to pay to use the tunnel ? honest question. Because I have to pay to use transit and I don't see why I should just 'get over it' when I am paying for a service that I am not receiving!

You're the poster child for my bigger picture point about all this.

Having taken transit in many places, I can say that Vancouver is truly mediocre. Unfortunately, mediocrity should be unacceptable for a city that tries to push sustainability, transit and bike lanes down our throats. We should be given a system that functions if it's being pushed so much.

I though the whole point of not having this skytrains run late at night was to make them last longer and prevent failures like these. It's garbage that a system built 30 years ago is crumbling before us. Many cities have had their lines built, albeit underground, for 50+ years.

The planning and execution of this whole system is flawed. They messed up big time when they built the expo and millennium but we put up with it because it functioned. But now...

From CKNW:

Translink says it was an employee who caused yesterday’s massive Skytrain shutdown.

An electrician installing a circuit breaker for the new Evergreen Line accidentally tripped up the main breaker feeding the Skytrain operations centre.

The power outage halted trains and made it difficult for announcements to be made over the PA system.

That employee has now been suspended.

Meanwhile, union leaders are quickly speaking out in his defence.

The man’s name hasn’t been released, but he’s being described as a longtime employee.

Tony Rebelo with Cupe 7000 says the suspension is disturbing because this was clearly an accident and the work being done was ordered by management.

“Management directed our member to do the work on this panel, despite knowing the panel’s poor design and the high risk of failing while it was worked on live. At this time, we feel the company failed to do a risk assessment of the work that was going to be undertaken on such a highly critical piece of electrical equipment.”

Rebelo also says the worker shouldn’t have been suspended before the investigation was complete.

Passengers were waiting for as long as five hours for the system to return to normal, or for a bus to arrive and take them on an alternate route.

Translink chief operating officer Doug Kelsey admits having two major, unrelated disruptions in less than a week is “unprecedented,” but he insists the system is reliable most of the time.

“To keep this system running safely, which we did yesterday, we will be reviewing our operating practises, as well, to try to minimize this from happening again.”

From CKNW:

Translink says it was an employee who caused yesterday’s massive Skytrain shutdown.

An electrician installing a circuit breaker for the new Evergreen Line accidentally tripped up the main breaker feeding the Skytrain operations centre.

The power outage halted trains and made it difficult for announcements to be made over the PA system.

The man’s name hasn’t been released, but he’s being described as a longtime employee.

Tony Rebelo with Cupe 7000 says the suspension is disturbing because this was clearly an accident and the work being done was ordered by management.

“Management directed our member to do the work on this panel, despite knowing the panel’s poor design and the high risk of failing while it was worked on live. At this time, we feel the company failed to do a risk assessment of the work that was going to be undertaken on such a highly critical piece of electrical equipment.”

Rebelo also says the worker shouldn’t have been suspended before the investigation was complete.

Passengers were waiting for as long as five hours for the system to return to normal, or for a bus to arrive and take them on an alternate route.

Translink chief operating officer Doug Kelsey admits having two major, unrelated disruptions in less than a week is “unprecedented,” but he insists the system is reliable most of the time.

“To keep this system running safely, which we did yesterday, we will be reviewing our operating practises, as well, to try to minimize this from happening again.”

From CKNW:

Typical management, always blame the workers even before the full story is known. They are trying to save face that they are 'addressing the issue'.

I though the whole point of not having this skytrains run late at night was to make them last longer and prevent failures like these. It's garbage that a system built 30 years ago is crumbling before us. Many cities have had their lines built, albeit underground, for 50+ years

its crumbling? A breakdown = crumbling?

you dont take the public transit that much do you?

1. the skytrain does constantly has problem, maybe not as serious as the one we had yesterday, but it happens constantly. Ever take a skytrain at night after work trying to catch a bus that comes every one hour, just to see the skytrain stopped in between the stations for 10 mins that makes you miss your bus? That STILL happens almost in a daily basis especially after 9 pm.

2. they decrease the frequency of the skytrain during rush hour in the morning that makes people impossible to squeeze into the train especially on stations such as nanaimo or 29th.

3. Ever been to the commerical skytrain station and look at the line up for the 99 bus in the morning? Their system just can't handle that amount of passengers during rush hour.

4. trains will almost always has problem in winter when it snows, then you got those epic line of people lining from the commerical platform all the way to vcc. It happens every year.

5. They keep cancelling bus route or decreasing the frequency of buses on an annual basis. Take 104 for example, they used to have a 104 every half an hour after 7:30 pm. Now it's an hour. AN HOUR! The constantly ill timed bus drivers won't help either. They constantly arrive the in between stop 5-10 mins earlier. Missed it and it will take an hour to get on the second one.

6. Bus constantly got cancel for no reason and without any notice or personel coming to the stop and tell the passenger what happened. You think one hour of waiting time is bad? try having one shift got cancel and you need another hour to get on.

I can go on forever. The transit system in vancouver is one of the worst in the world. It's ridiculously outdated and unprofessional, and crap like this still goes on today.

What were you really expecting from an organisation that has a government-granted monopoly over transportation infrastructure?

What were you expecting from a prime example of economic communio-fascism where the customers have no consumer powers at all by having their choices limited by a lack of market competition because of restrictive government regulation?

Local Uber providers most likely felt like it was Christmas in July yesterday! Free-markets FTW!

People did pay to use the tunnel until it was paid off. They are going to replace it and once again people will pay. The entire South Fraser is doomed to be a toll line.....

(Well, off chance it changes to the north fraser, but same difference).

If they knew that there was a possibility that the system could go down when working on the box then surely that work should have been done at night.

Gotta save money. Odds are it's all union workers. If you try to get work done at night, it's a premium, and depending on the relationships in place, maybe even grounds for a fight.

its crumbling? A breakdown = crumbling?

Almost all our infrastructure (not just skytrain, but the buses, the roads they drive on, the bridges that connect them, and all the pipes running underneath them) is in fact, crumbling.

As an example, wasn't too long ago a section of the putello bridge tumbled into the Fraser (how nobody died is a miracle). I could do a little tour showing people where we have hundred plus year old wood stave pipes carrying former streams underneath critical railway insfrastructure, huge sewage forcemains that people don't really know exactly where they are, panels of asbestos as high as the eye can see, and many places (the Putello bridge being the prime example, the whole thing could come down in as low as a 5.5 one) where I wouldn't want to be in an earthquake (many many schools are on that list as well).

So very much so, yes, things are crumbling. In many locations, badly.

Almost all our infrastructure (not just skytrain, but the buses, the roads they drive on, the bridges that connect them, and all the pipes running underneath them) is in fact, crumbling.

As an example, wasn't too long ago a section of the putello bridge tumbled into the Fraser (how nobody died is a miracle). I could do a little tour showing people where we have hundred plus year old wood stave pipes carrying former streams underneath critical railway insfrastructure, huge sewage forcemains that people don't really know exactly where they are, panels of asbestos as high as the eye can see, and many places (the Putello bridge being the prime example, the whole thing could come down in as low as a 5.5 one) where I wouldn't want to be in an earthquake (many many schools are on that list as well).

So very much so, yes, things are crumbling. In many locations, badly.

The problem is that it all takes money to fix. Hundreds of millions. So if the general public squawks about paying more taxes and tolls to cover the cost of these mega projects, where will the funding come from? All levels of government appear to be in a deficit so asking the Feds for more money won't happen. If the above is true, it will be the low end of the totem pole ponying up the dough to pay for AND pay to use the new infrastructure. Lose-lose for us.

As an example,

how about an example of how skytrain is crumbling?

Archived