The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Update: Human Error Blamed for Skytrain/Millenium Line System Shut Down - Union Protest Suspension

DonLever

The problem is that it all takes money to fix. Hundreds of millions. So if the general public squawks about paying more taxes and tolls to cover the cost of these mega projects, where will the funding come from? All levels of government appear to be in a deficit so asking the Feds for more money won't happen. If the above is true, it will be the low end of the totem pole ponying up the dough to pay for AND pay to use the new infrastructure. Lose-lose for us.

Actually it would cost hundreds of millions just to keep the status quo. You don't need to build anything new, the costs are already there due to decades of negligence.

Think of a house where you have people regularly doing minor repairs and tending to things. And then think of places where they don't. We live in a city/province/country/continent where they very much didn't.

Not buying the translink story that an electrician caused the whole thing. Little shocked at all the people on social media calling for the guy to be fired. Geez, even if it was him, I'm sure it was a mistake. No need to fire the guy over it.

Well, as an example of crumbling, I am not an expert electrician, but most installations I see tend to have back up systems for when things go down. One would think a system like the sktrain would have redundancies in place to allow for regular maintenance work to be done without having to put the whole system at risk.

The tightening of maintenance belts for sktyrain is not as bad as it is for most things but it's certainly there.

Fuck that, I think that electrician should have let one of the inconvenienced riders or management put in that breaker. Chances are it was a 600V panel and if they're too stupid to arrange for it during downtime, someone who doesn't have a clue about electricity should have tried er, see what an inconvenience risking you're life for other people's stupidity/narcissism works out. Guaranteed 99% would ride the lightning on that. Stupid fucks.

1) We pay for things via taxes, fares, and whatnot. I don't have a problem paying more for certain services and public systems, and I never said I had one.

2) So you're whining about rising fares? Didn't you just say that you shouldn't be in point #1, since someone has to pay for them?

An increase in fare and an increase in service have nothing to do with each other. Increases in fares are to cover the costs of the existing services. We no longer live in a world where fuel costs 59.9 cents/L (or whatever diesel was 5-10 years ago). They're not dumbing down the service, they're being smart about it.

You aren't even denying that your route has low ridership. Service optimization is EVERYWHERE. Would it make sense to have 20 or so fire departments in Squamish? No. Not enough people live there to justify it. Vancouver on the other hand? Yes. Same with transit. Does it make sense to allocate resources to a route where the buses will sit empty more often than not? No.

3) You seriously don't know ANYTHING about the transit system. There are thousands of buses operating at any one time, not to mention trains as well. Do you really think that a transit supervisor running around the city for courtesy is a good use of resources? Oh, and like I said before, there are hundreds of un-forseen trip cancellations and short-turns every day. It's not plausible to post up signs or have runners everywhere. Translink has a twitter feed already, and they've been going for a long time now. So before you criticize, know your stuff.

You're point of view is very naive and ignorant. Reality check: the world doesn't revolve around you, and you can't always have it both ways. There are millions of other people that are out there that rely on the transit system.

1. wait a min... You were the guy who started asking people who is going to pay for the improvments. In fact, that was your major argument about why Translink can not improve their system. And now you are turning around and say no don't have a problem with that? Let me quote you again:

It all comes down to money. If you don't want to invest more in the system, this is what you end up with.

Who's going to pay for that person to drive around the city to notify you of a bus cancellation? Keep in mind that there are hundreds of cancellations or short-turns a day. Who's going to pay for a rail system along the Broadway corridor? Who's going to pay for upgrading for the trains?

It's an aging system, but it is still a very good one. Clearly you live in a low-ridership area if your bus wait is an hour. I use to live in an area where it was a 1 hour, one way only route on PEAK HOURS. It was simply just a product of where I lived, not Translink's downfall.

2. I am not whining about increasing the fare. If you actually read what i typed, I said I have a problem about them raising the price WHILE giving worse services. I am not sure how that manage to escape you, it's almost like you willingly trying to ignore my points.

it gives me headaches when i read what you type, so i will stop soon. I mean holy cow you are the one who claim that someone needs to pay if they want to improve the quality of the service, then just go back and tell me that increasing the fare doesn't mean better service.

What

The

Hell?

Do you see how you are contradicting yourself? At one point you are claiming someone needs to pay for it when it comes to better service, then in the say argument you are telling people that getting better service has nothign to do with paying more fares. It's amazing how you can type that thing out with a straight face.

i am done with this topic cos it hurts my train to even try to understand where your points are coming from.

p.s. while i am typign this, my wife just msged me that she had been waiting for 30 mins for a bus that suppose to come every 10 mins, and the bus is still not moving on the gps.

This is how fuck up translink is right now and somehow people can justify this

1. wait a min... You were the guy who started asking people who is going to pay for the improvments. In fact, that was your major argument about why Translink can not improve their system. And now you are turning around and say no don't have a problem with that? Let me quote you again:

2. I am not whining about increasing the fare. If you actually read what i typed, I said I have a problem about them raising the price WHILE giving worse services. I am not sure how that manage to escape you, it's almost like you willingly trying to ignore my points.

it gives me headaches when i read what you type, so i will stop soon. I mean holy cow you are the one who claim that someone needs to pay if they want to improve the quality of the service, then just go back and tell me that increasing the fare doesn't mean better service.

What

The

Hell?

Do you see how you are contradicting yourself? At one point you are claiming someone needs to pay for it when it comes to better service, then in the say argument you are telling people that getting better service has nothign to do with paying more fares. It's amazing how you can type that thing out with a straight face.

i am done with this topic cos it hurts my train to even try to understand where your points are coming from.

p.s. while i am typign this, my wife just msged me that she had been waiting for 30 mins for a bus that suppose to come every 10 mins, and the bus is still not moving on the gps.

This is how frack up translink is right now and somehow people can justify this

That same electrician actually messed up the traffic lights and that bus has been stuck at a red light that won't turn green

What

The

Hell?

This is how frack up translink is right now and somehow people can justify this

I don't understand how saying "where's the money going to come from" translates to me saying I don't want to pay for something. I was asking you, who was so anti-paying Translink to start with.

I haven't contradicted myself once. You're misinterpreting beyond belief. You talk about "business models" and can't understand the reasons you get the short end of the stick. Not only that, you somehow think that Translink is forcing you to buy their services. No one is asking you to take the Skytrain. If you don't like the delays that come with a transit system, go buy your own car.

You're not more important than everyone else, sorry to tell you. I'm glad you're out of this thread so I don't have to read your absolute nonsense.

Gotta save money. Odds are it's all union workers. If you try to get work done at night, it's a premium, and depending on the relationships in place, maybe even grounds for a fight.

That makes sense.

its really just a cycle... more efficient system and structure --> more riders = more revenue --> more efficient system and structure and so on

so either people suck it up and use the system and structure as it is...(which I hardly do because I find it not efficient at all) or government and translink finally gets their heads out of their ass and changes something.

It failed twice in the last week.

That doesn't mean its crumbling. Anymore than a power outage means that our electrical system is crumbling.

edit... just saw this quote

Well, as an example of crumbling, I am not an expert electrician, but most installations I see tend to have back up systems for when things go down. One would think a system like the sktrain would have redundancies in place to allow for regular maintenance work to be done without having to put the whole system at risk.

Poor design maybe? But if you call this crumbling then its been crumbling since day one. Which doesn't really fit the definition.

That doesn't mean its crumbling. Anymore than a power outage means that our electrical system is crumbling.

edit... just saw this quote

Poor design maybe? But if you call this crumbling then its been crumbling since day one. Which doesn't really fit the definition.

Upgrading electrical systems periodically is maintanence. If you look into it there's a ton of work that needs to be done even on the existing lines.

Are they about to fall down? No. But don't underestimate just how much money in maintenance might be being "deferred" right now.....

The tightening of maintenance belts for sktyrain is not as bad as it is for most things but it's certainly there.

Bingo, I'm not sure if they have one but they should have an emergency back-up generator & possibly an ups for critical loads. The generators in industrial applications are usually rated for 1/4 cycle, meaning that the transfer switch activates (after power disruption has been sensed) within 4milliseconds or .004 of a second.

There is a minor problem with the trains this morning. They are running fine to commericial/broadway but there are 'switch' problems between main street and waterfront. There was an announcement letting people know that they should expect large delays between the downtown stations. They are trying to fix the problem and trains are being held before/between stations for longer times.

I hope no one is late for work because of this delay! Also super cranky people some women pushed me and snapped at me when I went to get off the train at brodway. I told her she had no right to get snooty with me and she got even more cranky. Be careful and safe out there people!

There is a minor problem with the trains this morning. They are running fine to commericial/broadway but there are 'switch' problems between main street and waterfront. There was an announcement letting people know that they should expect large delays between the downtown stations. They are trying to fix the problem and trains are being held before/between stations for longer times.

I hope no one is late for work because of this delay! Also super cranky people some women pushed me and snapped at me when I went to get off the train at brodway. I told her she had no right to get snooty with me and she got even more cranky. Be careful and safe out there people!

Traffic was crappy last night AND this morning too! Where are my reparations!!

Traffic was crappy last night AND this morning too! Where are my reparations!!

I was trying to give other transit riders a heads up so they could possibly take a different route to work!

I am sorry you were stuck in traffic. Rush hour can be a real bitch sometimes!

Yeah because that worked sooo well for BC Ferries.

BC Ferries is not privatized. It's publicly owned and privately managed. The private management inherited a business with a corrupt union and almost a 20 million dollar per year deficit. They've had to cut services but the company is in the black now by about 20 mil per year. Pretty impressive considering white spot workers are making 50+k a year plus pension.

BC Ferries is not privatized. It's publicly owned and privately managed. The private management inherited a business with a corrupt union and almost a 20 million dollar per year deficit. They've had to cut services but the company is in the black now by about 20 mil per year. Pretty impressive considering white spot workers are making 50+k a year plus pension.

Really? You are going to blame overpaid workers as the reason? How about the overpaid exeuctives who think they deserve raises when the services are being cut?

Archived