The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PS4/XBOX One

KoreanHockeyFan

So with games like NHL 15 finally taking a step into the next gen and my now old Xbox 360 breaking down, I was wondering which next gen system I should buy. It's been a few months since the release of both systems, so I'm guessing a lot of people here have had a good run with both systems?

I was initially worried about the Xbox One with all the Netflix/PVR crap they were trying to advertise with the system, as I'm strictly just looking to game. Not to mention the ridiculous price point they started off with, but with the drop of a mandatory Kinect add-on with the system, it seems that a stand alone Xbox One is now cheaper than a PS4 at regular retail price? I'm really liking the look of the white PS4 that's due to come out however, as it's really caught my eye. It also seems that the PS4 is more intended for those who just want to play some games and not be bothered with all these other features which is what I like.

Anyone mind helping me on which game to decide on? I mainly play FPS and sports games.

Let the flame war begin :D

Pick up whatever your friends have, they're virtually going to do the same thing. BUT if you don't have friends then I'd say there are three things that are probably tipping points.

1. Controller (DS4 > 360 > One > DS3) IMO

2. Halo (My friend couldn't leave the Xbox purely because of the Halo franchise)

3. Genres. PS4 for single player exclusives (I picked it up and hate the layout of party chats and whatnot coming from a 360), Xbox for online multiplayer purposes (taking into account I haven't actually played with the interface but if it's anything like the last gens they are way ahead of Sony.

X1 has a far superior online and a better controller for FPS games.

Right now X1 has the better game lineup also.

There nearly the same machines besides the controller and the interfaces anyone that says otherwise is lieing.

PS4 is a stronger gaming system, XBOX1 is more of a social gaming system. That is what you need to base your decision on, I have switched back to PS4 because I enjoy playing games more on Playstation. There isn't really a better system, they are just geared towards different gamers.

There nearly the same machines besides the controller and the interfaces anyone that says otherwise is lieing.

disagree, the new ps4 controller is much better. Neither system has a good line-up yet.

PS4 uses gddr3 ram while Xbox1 just uses basic ddr3, big difference for graphics rendering and short term memory. Also at such a similar price point, the better specs are just a no brainer.

What do you mean by stronger gaming system?

Since they've removed the Kinect, Some games are running at high res than ps4.

And which games would these be?

Not that many people can tell the difference between 720p/900p vs 1080p, but here's a list of games on both systems and their resolutions:

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

I had PS4 then sold it for an X1. I like xbox a lot more but if you're just in it for nhl it honestly doesn't make a difference. It's a sports game. Both will be 1080p 60fps. If your friends have something get that. That was my initial mistake. I wanted to play Halo as well.

Also I like the Xbox's controller a lot more. The asymmetrical layout is awesome and the controller just feels right.

I have both. But the Xbox one is the one I use more often. (For both gaming and Video use) Honestly though they're both the same system, it really comes down to the specifics which should win you over to one rather than the other.

These are the pros of both.(Borrowed from another site)

Xbox One Pros:

• Extremely fast switching between tasks (TV, movies, skype, etc.)
  • Kinect seems much improved with 1080p quality and more accurate tracking
  • ESPN partnership
  • 300,000 servers for Xbox Live, up from 15,000 last time, according to Microsoft this will allow for "living and persistent worlds" (MMOs, anyone?)
  • Controller seems mostly the same except with improved d-pad
  • Compatible with Smartglass
  • Constant low power state
  • Download games while you play
  • Capture and editing software (very lightly touched upon during the event)
  • Kinect voice commands (useful for when you're holding something, such as food)
  • Triggers have feedback
  • Xbox controller will supposedly be using WiFi direct
  • You and 10 family members can access your games library from any Xbox
  • You can access your library from any Xbox
  • Skype integration
  • Streaming through Twitch

• PS4 Pros:

• You can play games/demos while they are downloading

• Pressing a button puts the console into "low power mode" and when pressed again pick up right where you left off

• Share button lets you capture footage and upload it (dedicated capture/compression)

• Ability to stream games through Ustream

• 8gb GDDR5 Ram (7gb available to devs)

• Dualshock controller seems larger and the triggers/analog sticks seem improved (touchpad added, but I don't know if I consider that a pro or con)

• Sony lets indie devs self-publish games, making it easy to get on the store

• Cross-play with Vita

• Compatible with PS Move

• Download games in the background

• GPU 50% faster than Xbox

• Mobile app that will tie in with PS account

• No restrictions on used games

Have both, use XBONE for gaming way more often.

But honestly as someone else has said, get the system that your friends have, or check out the console exclusives and figure out which ones tickle your fancy more, and preference for controller/interface etc.

Honestly those crying graphics/performance etc. If you have a TV or Monitor that's high end and could actually spot the difference, it's not that big of a difference. At least in my opinion, I've played Watch_Dogs, Wolfenstein and Battlefield 4 on both PS4/XBONE and honestly didn't notice that big of a difference.

I use the PS4 way more than I use the Xbox One.

It really depends on what games you plan on playing in the future and what your friends plan on buying.

Most of the people I know have or are getting a PS4, so that was one reason I bought one. Going with Sony was already a no-brainer for me in the first place as I tend to like Playstation's exclusives more than Xbox's.

I also prefer the Playstation controller, and the PS4 one specifically is great. In fact, many love it more than the Xbox One's.

Archived