The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the Canucks make the playoffs?

Pete M

To get into the playoffs, a team in the West will require 90 to 94 points. That equals 45 to 47 wins.

As it stands today, will the Canucks make the playoffs?

If not, what do they need to do (changes, strategy, etc.) to get in?

Playoff locks: LA, Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota, Anaheim,

Last 3 spots are a crap shoot. Dallas is much improved, Colorado won their division but might be humbled, Nashville looks better, San Jose is a great team still. I'd put Vancouver in this group of maybes.

So, my guess is a strong maybe. The west is really strong AGAIN.

Interesting question.

Other interesting questions I've thought about...

Do chickens have lips?

Can snakes "sit"?

Where does the white go when snow melts?

If you hit a Frenchman in the stomach, does he say "egg"?

All things to ponder.

Last 3 spots are a crap shoot. Dallas is much improved, Colorado won their division but might be humbled, Nashville looks better, San Jose is a great team still. I'd put Vancouver in this group of maybes.

Minnesota? A lock? LOL. I'd be far more inclined to put Dallas as a lock over Minny.

i think this team is a playoff team. i believe last year they were as well except they had a terrible system and coach that had no clue how to use the players he had.

maybe this team will finally learn to play desperate hockey with the ability to finish teams off when they have them on the ropes and not sit back or expect games to be easy.

I cant believe you went way out on a limb here. Bold stuff dude.

My gut tells me Anaheim won't be the top three this year. L.A. and Chicago should win their respective divisions, although I do think Chicago will be weaker once they get under the cap.

I think it will be L.A., S.J., Van, and then Anaheim. With a bit of luck, Vancouver will have home ice advantage in the first round.

I swear I saw almost an identical thread before. So, chiming in before this gets locked....

We are not that far removed from being a contender. I know, people are saying to stop living in 2011 but the fact is that we still have many of the key players we did back then. So to me, there are clearly two keys to how well our team performs next season.

The first is whether or not the remaining core bounces back from a terrible season last year. If players like the Sedins, Burrows, and Edler don't regain form, we're going to have a tough time making the playoffs at all. The new additions and developing players can only carry the team so far.

The other key is, obviously, how well the new players work out. Will Bonino be the 2nd line center we were hoping for to replace Kesler? Will Vrbata gel with the Sedins? Will Miller play as hoped? Will Kassian have a breakout year like we're all hoping and some are predicting?

There are too many question marks for anyone to properly predict right now, so it's all guesswork. I will go as far as to say this though: If OUR stars align, and everything turns out as hoped, I'd actually say we're not only a playoff team but rather a contender. But with that said, there are a lot of very good teams in the West and if the team doesn't perform to the top of their ability, our seeding in the West will drop *very* quickly.

There's also the possibility one or two of our younger players could come in and make an impact, but I don't see any of them being particular difference makers at this point.

Personally, I'm pretty confident we make the playoffs. I think our top players will bounce back. (Maybe not to prior levels, but at least enough to make us competitive). I also think that players like Kassian, Bonino, and Vrbata will have a solid season. If I had to put numbers on it, I'd say with 75% certainly we make the playoffs, 60% belief that we're a reasonably strong team in the West (and a surprise to most), and 30% belief that we're not only a strong team, but one that actually can contend for the cup.

Interesting question.

Other interesting questions I've thought about...

Do chickens have lips?

Can snakes "sit"?

Where does the white go when snow melts?

If you hit a Frenchman in the stomach, does he say "egg"?

All things to ponder.

Ok, I laughed at that one.

But, OP, if you want your answer, you might want to check out the other standings prediction thread(s).

I am confident that this team can make the playoffs.

Sedins need to step up their game.

We need stellar goaltending from Ryan Miller and Eddie Lack

We need to roll 4 lines.

Our PP needs to be better. Now with the acquirement of Bonino, and Vrbata.. I think they will help enhance our PP.

Burrows needs to regain form.

Kassian, Vey all due for a breakout season

We need a true top 6 LW.

Our PK was great last year near the beginning , but please Desjardins, don't do what Torts did.. Sedins should not be on the PK.

The Sedins need to worry about offence.

Bonino needs to step up and take that 2nd line center position. Let's hope last year wasn't a fluke and that he can fill in Kesler's shoes.

Edler really needs to step up his defensive role as well as his offensive game. That -39 really is a killer.

With these improvements, I think we can become a contender next year. Maybe last year was just a bad season under torts. His style isn't the Canucks style of play. So adapting was pretty hard.

Let's hope for a great season! And please.. please.. no tanking

I do believe we are a playoff team with the additions of guys like Vrbata, Bonino, Miller, Dorsett and Vey. A player like Sanguetti could surprise and Kassian might blossom into the beast he is meant tobe. Sedins might get back to ppg pace again with Vrbata. Hopefully we make the playoffs.

Good news is, we are tied for 15th (16th spot?) in the Odds to Win 2015 Stanley Cup at Bodog as of July 14:

Chicago Blackhawks 7/1
Los Angeles Kings 9/1
Boston Bruins 10/1
Anaheim Ducks 12/1
Pittsburgh Penguins 12/1
St. Louis Blues 12/1
San Jose Sharks 14/1
New York Rangers 16/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 16/1
Colorado Avalanche 18/1
Minnesota Wild 18/1
Dallas Stars 20/1
Montreal Canadiens 20/1
Detroit Red Wings 22/1
Philadelphia Flyers 28/1
Vancouver Canucks 28/1
Bad news is, there are 8 teams from the West above us.

Archived