The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Desjardins on Team 1040

-Vintage Canuck-

I don't think I would classify Burrows as a top shooter though.

You kind of have to.

He's been a winger with two of the best players in the NHL for 7 years.

If you dismiss last year which was a disaster for him, not through any fault of his own mind you as he suffered multiple injuries... he has averaged .67 PPG over his time with them.

ALEX BURROWS.

He's played on his off wing, but with Kass having a right shot on the right side, Burr can move onto the left with his left shot.

As a Center you ideally want a RH right winger and a LH left winger, and if Burr and Kess mesh well with Bonino on that line, it could be something to watch.

Also something to note: Radim Vrbata is a RH shot on the right side so that gives Danny the same balance on the top line now as Hanks a left shot on the left side.

I do not think this is an accident.

Those minor tweaks right there can make a HUGE difference.

Agree.

regards,

G.

On that site it says a poor 3rd line center can score 31 pts.

Richardson and Matthias both scored 23.

Gone are the days where we could shelter the twins.

I thought both of these guys spent a lot of time on the 4th line last season? Richardson was brought in as a 4C and Matthias played perhaps as much as two-thirds of his games with the Panthers (as well as some time here) on the 4th line, no? While neither of them are going to be big point producers I think they will be productive, Matthias more so than Richardson.

regards,

G.

People are forgetting that Daniel Sedin has completely forgotten how to shoot the puck/score.

Team ain't going anywhere unless he gets back to where he was.. He's a shadow of his former self. It's not his linemates either, it's his own play (his shot is just brutal now). Ever since his concussion he just hasn't been the same, like at all. Hopefully he returns to form this year, but man, if he doesn't, this team is in trouble.

You kind of have to.

He's been a winger with two of the best players in the NHL for 7 years.

If you dismiss last year which was a disaster for him, not through any fault of his own mind you as he suffered multiple injuries... he has averaged .67 PPG over his time with them.

Well look at that, even with a season from HELL Burrows has still scored more 5 on 5 goals then Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, both Sedin twins over the last 4 years....yeah, but he's not a top shooter.

His cumulative numbers from 2009-2013 are even more impressive.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201014&sit=5v5&pos=skaters&minutes=100&teamid=0&type=individual&sort=igoals&sortdir=DESC

I also took particular interest in that quote...

Yes me too. This is the quote that I like the most and is most different from the standard answers. When he outright says that, it means he will judge by virtue, not age. Playing young guys is the obvious choice if it's a tie with a vet...more upside and development for a young player, future of the team.

Love it

Funny, because he's saying a lot of the same sorta things that Torts did this time last year.

Wants to make playoffs: Check.

Attack-brand hockey: Check.

Compete every shift: Check.

Confidence in Luongo/Miller: Check.

Believes in Sedins: Check.

Talked to players: Check.

Respects players: Check.

Needs newer guys to do more things: Check.

Needs to find a way to get Kassian going: Check.

Hopeful for Edler: Check.

Kassian needs to be more consistent: Check.

Prospects will have to earn spots: Check.

Sedins still elite and they'll have to be: Check.

In tough here during this phase: Check.

He means 180 flip from Doucheville to Respectville

People are forgetting that Daniel Sedin has completely forgotten how to shoot the puck/score.

Team ain't going anywhere unless he gets back to where he was.. He's a shadow of his former self. It's not his linemates either, it's his own play (his shot is just brutal now). Ever since his concussion he just hasn't been the same, like at all. Hopefully he returns to form this year, but man, if he doesn't, this team is in trouble.

This is true. Need more from Daniel. More GOALS. Hesitant since concussion. Still getting open and making some plays but not nearly as quick on it and the shot is putrid.

This guy won the NHL sharpshooter skills comp just a few years ago! Four laser shots to four corners. Snipe it!!

Well look at that, even with a season from HELL Burrows has still scored more 5 on 5 goals then Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, both Sedin twins over the last 4 years....yeah, but he's not a top shooter.

His cumulative numbers from 2009-2013 are even more impressive.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201014&sit=5v5&pos=skaters&minutes=100&teamid=0&type=individual&sort=igoals&sortdir=DESC

WITH the Sedins getting prime offensive ice time on the top line 5 on 5. The question is whether he will still be a top shooter with a different set of linemates and less prime offensive 5 on 5 minutes on the 2nd line.

When you top about pure offensive snipers in the NHL Burrows name does not enter that list I'm afraid. This team lacks a true sniper who can score from anywhere with his shot. Burrows scores ugly goals with the best of them but he is not a premier shooter.

This is true. Need more from Daniel. More GOALS. Hesitant since concussion. Still getting open and making some plays but not nearly as quick on it and the shot is putrid.

This guy won the NHL sharpshooter skills comp just a few years ago! Four laser shots to four corners. Snipe it!!

Just gotta shoot 500 pucks a day! (Or however many pucks Kesler shoots a day every summer :P)

WITH the Sedins getting prime offensive ice time on the top line 5 on 5. The question is whether he will still be a top shooter with a different set of linemates and less prime offensive 5 on 5 minutes on the 2nd line.

When you top about pure offensive snipers in the NHL Burrows name does not enter that list I'm afraid. This team lacks a true sniper who can score from anywhere with his shot. Burrows scores ugly goals with the best of them but he is not a premier shooter.

Radim may surprise in a pleasing manner .. he will be playing with players of his own skill level .. this may be a two-year experiment that re-confirms the skill and dedication of the Sedins .. two very, very special players.

Just gotta shoot 500 pucks a day! (Or however many pucks Kesler shoots a day every summer :P)

Yes, but ever since Kesler decided to shoot 100 pucks a day, he thinks he can score from anywhere at any time. He also believes that only he can shoot so he has forgotten how to pass.

Obviously we're going to have to wait and see to see if his words hold value.. but I think how high he is on respecting players will really pay dividends. Not just in this interview, but previous ones he had emphasized on that so much, and I really think the guys in the locker room will play even harder to know that their coach is fully supporting them and thinks of them so highly.

When you had a toxic figure like Torts, there wasn't much impressing to do when he didn't give everyone a fair opportunity. Desjardins seems like he really wants that injection of youth, so we'll see. Really hoping he stays true to his words here, but I've liked everything he has said (just like Torts from last year prior to the actual regular season).

Also if it means anything, I met him in person and he was a very jovial fellow who couldn't stop smiling (I was also singing his praises).

Maybe I'm reaching, but I felt like his response regarding Edler may give us some insight into one of the major ways in which Desjardins' style is different from Tortorella.

He sounded unconcerned about Edler's play, and almost seemed to relax, himself, when answering the question. This suggests to me that this is how he will approach Edler: in a very relaxed, patient manner, giving him his full confidence and only gentle guidance/discipline. To me Edler seems a quiet, reserved kind of guy, who likely internalizes a lot of the pressure placed on him, and lets it effect his mental game. Torts is probably the worst possible person to coach a player like Edler, because his only move, when players are struggling, is to ream them out (often in a very obvious, public way, a la that game against NYR). Right or wrong, this likely caused Alex to retreat further into himself, and increased his propensity for those infamous mental gaffes. I believe he will feel a much higher level of breathing room under Desjardins, and his game may turn around as a result.

This idea goes along with what we've been hearing from Desjardins about having to handle each player differently. I think Willie also has the capacity to be that hardnosed, Tortorella-type coach, but will only employ that tactic with players who actually respond to it (a guy like Kassian, perhaps?). With the way this team fell so drastically, you have to assume some of that is due to the mental part of their game, and I think Willie is a good guy to help get that turned around.

Because it is true. Torts was smart, he knew what the team needed to win, he just didn't care enough, was stubborn to change his tactics and didn't have the right style or persona for the team. It doesn't take much to look at this team as see who the veterans are, what type of player Burrows is, that Kassian needs to be more consistent and that we need to play hard every night and make the playoffs by being competitive. I think (surprisingly) have a CDC could have figured that out.

The difference is that Willie brings a differently personality and a different coaching style. Torts was most definitely not an up-tempo, play in the other side of the rink and work hard every night type of coach, he was a lot more defensive minded on getting the puck and blocking shots. Willie is building a relationship with players and like I said before a different style, a style that he utilizes and believes in.

Your right this is the biggest difference between them I think. Plus Torts getting the sedins to block shots and pk with west coast travel... puke

Burrows and Kassian = The box pairing. Because that's where they're going to be most of the time.

I'd be really happy if both players stopped taking so many penalties. But that goes for most of the team too, incl. the Sedins, who treat 'hooking' as first-move defensive strategy way too much.

Since we lost our top pk fwd we should try to cut down the pims.

Yeah cause they are playing "conserve your energy" Torts was riding them into the ground.

I like that prospects have to earn their spot and beat out a veteran they are competing with and only then will they get to be on the team instead of having a spot open for them as long as they don't play terrible.

This will make things interesting come pre-season by having true competition and the battles could get heated with the vets just as eager to prove themselves as the young guys are to a new coach again and prove that last year was a one off.

Archived