The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Desjardins on Team 1040

-Vintage Canuck-

Hes a beut 180 flip from torts

I was going to say the same thing. Just the opposite of Torts in so many ways -- especially not having a big ego. With Torts it was all about Torts. With Willie it is all about the players.

I still cannot believe Gillis hired Torts, who was always obviously a terrible fit for the Canucks. And with a 5-year contract! It looks like Gillis thought Aquillini liked Torts and he was trying to cover his rear end by hiring him.

Once again the up coming season's success or failure will ride on whether a effective 2nd line can be created. I like the sound of

Burrows-Bonnie-Kassian. I fully expect Burrows to have a rebound year. The later two are ? marks. I suggest Van's season will ride on how well Kassian evolves and whether Edler can rebound. Kassian showed flashes last year of a dominant top 6 winger. He can be a game changer. Love the fact that WD will be his coach.

WD will make sedins better again, but maybe only to 65 pt players because of having to adapt to new systems of play. I can see our young players thrive. he seems to be invested in developing young players more. hopefully horvat or shinkaruk can crack the line up. I can see them getting 45 to 55 points under WD

To be fair; having Higgins and Hansen for our 2knd line has saved our ass.

I'm not saying they should be 2knd line! When we went to the finals, Higgins was solidified to give us a veteran presence with some talent for our 4th line. Manny / Raffi / Hansen was one of the best defensive 3rd lines in recent memory. And they are capable of contributing at the level of an average 2knd liner. Hansen was behind only the SEdin's in scoring two years ago. Higgins had 40 points last year!

We're fine as long as they are 3rd and 4th liners!

I think what you mention about Higgens and Hansen is accurate about last season. That said part of the teams failures of last season were only offering these 2 up instead of getting better players at those spots. Higgens and Hansen, like you noted, were not looked upon as being full time 2nd liners. They'll do in a pinch but not for long periods.

I do not want to watch these 2 on the second line light after night like last season. It made for boring go no where hockey.

People are asking where the young guys are going to fit and I'd say these 2 spots are open regardless of contract. JB and WD seem to care yet are not going to get too emotionally attached like Gillis did.

Vancouver needs to do better than Hansen and Higgens playing big minutes to be remotely successful.

I see WD going with more youth than one would expect.

Difference between Torts and WD:

WD will build up his players confidence...Torts destroyed players confidence.

WD will play four lines and develop the PP...Torts lacked confidence in the 3rd/4th lines and ran the Sedins into the ice. The PP sucked.

WD will teach his players how to play the system...Torts only demanded the players play the system.

WD will learn who plays well together and generate chemistry...Torts destroyed chemistry.

WD will gain respect from all his players...Torts lost his players respect...they quite playing for him after the Calgary fiasco. This is when the team started to tank.

WD will work with JB/TL to build the team that they envision. Everyone in the organization will be on the same page...run 4 lines, develop a killer PP.

WD will get buy in from all his players. The most important thing WD will bring is the ability to increase a players confidence...which is huge in any sport.

When WD achieves all the above, the Canucks will be a power house.

The coach is the most important person on the team, I believe WD has what this hockey club needs.

The line about the tie goes to the rookies is the minor league coach coming out.On the farm rookies need to develop and the vets not good enough for the nhl that play on the farm will lose there job every time to the draft pick the big club wants to develope if it ends up in a tie.Willie is just bringing that philosophy to the Canucks.Very refreshing at this level.

The line about the tie goes to the rookies is the minor league coach coming out.On the farm rookies need to develop and the vets not good enough for the nhl that play on the farm will lose there job every time to the draft pick the big club wants to develope if it ends up in a tie.Willie is just bringing that philosophy to the Canucks.Very refreshing at this level.

Good clear point.

I think change on any level is tough for a lot of people, myself included.How ever when the delivery of the change is delivered in a refreshing way things look and feel much better. At least for now.

First 5 game losing streak and all CDC will lose their minds and call for Willie's head.

You're probably right. But I really can't see WD as the type of coach that wouldn't fight and work his players even after a 2 game losing streak to win the game. And if he does get the respect from the players I'm sure he'll get 100% effort from them. Just my thoughts but agreed the CDC nation can be like that for the most part but .... NOT all fans are like that including myself. true :canucks: fans don't jump off band wagons lol

I believe Willie is the kind of Coach who tries to mold a team that gives it 'their all' for that game .. and then lessons learned and you move on to the next .. no highs and lows .. just a steady team approach ever night with everyone having goals and specific responsibilities .. he will be a calming Father figure to some of our players .. and hopefully they will not be afraid to make a mistake by accepting the responsibility to learn from every opportunity.

So it sounds like the second line might be Burrows Bonino Kassian to start

It does, but like others have said, there isn't really a pure shooter in that group. If Bonino is as good a distributor of the puck as Benning says, Kassian needs to start thinking shoot a bit more than he did last year, despite his great passing skills. On the positive side, though, Burrows should be a good mentor for Kassian with regard to consistency, puck retreival, etc.

From Trevor today:

"We had some players underperform last year that can be better. We've got to recapture those guys, and that's going to come down to how we coach. I think we're going to be a deeper team up front, we've gotten younger, we've gotten quicker."

Yes, he's saying that Torts was the big part of why players underperformed last season.

"One of the many conversations I had with 'The Family' was about autonomy, having the ability to do what I needed to do. I think the commitment that the ownership has made to this franchise, and to this fanbase, in allowing me to do what I needed to do.. and that included writing some very large cheques."

One in particular.

Based on the players we have and everything we've heard from Willie.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Kassian

Higgins Matthias Vey

Dorsett Richardson Hansen(I had him gone but hes here, if Vey performs I dont see him being a fit anymore but he plays over Tom)

Sestito

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bieksa

Sbisa Weber/Sanguinetti(Only one makes the roster and is the regular over Stanton due to being RHD)

Stanton

Miller

Lack

The 3rd and 4th lines shape up better than they have since 2011, tho without Kes our top end skill takes a hit. Overall deeper more well rounded team with alot more upside on the roster and in the system than there has been in a long long time.

Could see Markstrom and Hansen head to the Jets for something like Tangradi, Postma and a 4th.

Then we have

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Kassian

Higgins Matthias Vey

Tangradi Richardson Dorsett

Hamhuis Tanev

Edler Postma

Sbisa Bieksa

Postma is a RH WHL kid who's 6'3" 200lbs who plays an offensive game and is a very good skater and puck mover to play alongside Edler and is NHL ready. Very Lindenning style aquisition.

Tangradi gets us a natural LW with size and a higher skill level than Sestito and allows Tom to be used as a situational player in games where we need the grit but wont lose the size by having Tangradi in.

Stanton

Based on the players we have and everything we've heard from Willie.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Kassian

Higgins Matthias Vey

Dorsett Richardson Hansen(I had him gone but hes here, if Vey performs I dont see him being a fit anymore but he plays over Tom)

Sestito

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bieksa

Sbisa Weber/Sanguinetti(Only one makes the roster and is the regular over Stanton due to being RHD)

Stanton

Miller

Lack

The 3rd and 4th lines shape up better than they have since 2011, tho without Kes our top end skill takes a hit. Overall deeper more well rounded team with alot more upside on the roster and in the system than there has been in a long long time.

Could see Markstrom and Hansen head to the Jets for something like Tangradi, Postma and a 4th.

Then we have

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Kassian

Higgins Matthias Vey

Tangradi Richardson Dorsett

Hamhuis Tanev

Edler Postma

Sbisa Bieksa

Postma is a RH WHL kid who's 6'3" 200lbs who plays an offensive game and is a very good skater and puck mover to play alongside Edler and is NHL ready. Very Lindenning style aquisition.

Tangradi gets us a natural LW with size and a higher skill level than Sestito and allows Tom to be used as a situational player in games where we need the grit but wont lose the size by having Tangradi in.

Stanton

I like where you're heading with moving Hansen and the Postma aquisition (though Sanguinetti fills a similar role). But having more guys to compete for that spot (Edler's partner) might not be a bad thing. And Postma brings more size than Sang.

Not sure we need more bottom 6 LW depth though as any of Matthias, Horvat, Kenins etc could feasibly take Sestito's spot there already.

I'd almost prefer picks/prospects as the extra parts coming back as opposed to a roster player (besides a higher talent/more experienced PMD). Alternately I also wouldn't mind a big, tough as nails, crease clearing guy to play 3rd pairing either but that would almost guarantee we'd need to move another d-man too.

I believe Willie is the kind of Coach who tries to mold a team that gives it 'their all' for that game .. and then lessons learned and you move on to the next .. no highs and lows .. just a steady team approach ever night with everyone having goals and specific responsibilities .. he will be a calming Father figure to some of our players .. and hopefully they will not be afraid to make a mistake by accepting the responsibility to learn from every opportunity.

Sounds a bit like Roger Neilson.

Archived