The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Desjardins on Team 1040

-Vintage Canuck-

Hes a beut 180 flip from torts

Totally agree. Torts was all meaningless answers to questions. With Willie you get the truth. For example, this year the Canucks will "compete every night. And every shift, not just every night. Every shift we want to be ready to compete and play hard." What other coach in the NHL can say that? My concern is that we will have a replay of last year in that the team will burn out by Christmas. I mean compete every shift? In an 82 games schedule? Did anyone from the Canucks watch the Kings sleepwalk through the regular season? What matters, who won the President's Trophy or the Stanley Cup? Who won the president's trophy last year anyways??

Jordan Schroeder was that guy to Gillis, like that was ever going to happen

Can you say NTC? Who runs the show in the NHL, the coach of the veteran players? We all know the answer. If the veteran players start looking over their shoulder, they will make sure the coach is toast.

Totally agree. Torts was all meaningless answers to questions. With Willie you get the truth. For example, this year the Canucks will "compete every night. And every shift, not just every night. Every shift we want to be ready to compete and play hard." What other coach in the NHL can say that? My concern is that we will have a replay of last year in that the team will burn out by Christmas. I mean compete every shift? In an 82 games schedule? Did anyone from the Canucks watch the Kings sleepwalk through the regular season? What matters, who won the President's Trophy or the Stanley Cup? Who won the president's trophy last year anyways??

If you have 4 lines that can play and a deep D-core, there's no reason why a team can't compete every shift.

It's about spreading the minutes around and having different players step up each night. That's what the Kings do.

If you have 4 lines that can play and a deep D-core, there's no reason why a team can't compete every shift.

It's about spreading the minutes around and having different players step up each night. That's what the Kings do.

There is absolutely no comparison in the level of skill of the Canucks versus the Kings. The kings can spread the minutes but the Canucks can't if they hope to win in the regular season.

There is absolutely no comparison in the level of skill of the Canucks versus the Kings. The kings can spread the minutes but the Canucks can't if they hope to win in the regular season.

Yes we can spread the minutes perfectly fine. Its not like we're going to be playing against the other teams first line all 60 minutes.

I would argue we have one of the better bottom 6's in the league now.

There' no reason the minutes can't be spread to these players.

I would argue we have one of the better bottom 6's in the league now.

There' no reason the minutes can't be spread to these players.

Yeah, we're going to have some serious compete this year. I believe that the coach, GM, and President are so much more on the same page than the previous regime.

Can you say NTC? Who runs the show in the NHL, the coach of the veteran players? We all know the answer. If the veteran players start looking over their shoulder, they will make sure the coach is toast.

Then that means a lack of accountability and therefore, no Cup.

Soldiers will always need generals.

The wildcard to all this is WD.

This is or will be the most significant change before the puck drops.

AV is a very good coach, his record proves this; in fact, he put the dot in the exclamation mark this past year by taking a mediocre under achieving NYR team to the SCF.

I'm a hockey fan and I chuckle when I listen to the so call experts talk about NYR achievement. They don't talk much about the coach rather they talk about the players and go on about what StLouis and what other players did for NYR; however, I feel strongly about the coach being the catalyst and the most important person to make the players perform like a team and get total buy-in from the players to accomplish a place in the SCF. My hat is off to D. Sutter who actually has won it twice in the last three years.

My point is...the coach is the most important person on the team. He is the person responsible to make the players play like a team, to make them play as a five man unit (six including the goalie)

AV lost his effect with the Knuckle heads because his message got tired. This showed the last two years when they were out in the first round. Furthermore, AV's critical error was he put the leadership in the players hands and they failed. They were disorganised and far from ready to compete for the holy grail. A team should enter the playoffs playing their best hockey. And, it is the coach that has to be responsible to make the veterans play their best hockey. It is not the veterans responsibility to make the team play like a team.

WD has to take full responsibility for making the team play like a team. He is responsible for making the veterans play like a five man unit; this includes the Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, etc.

WD is the wildcard.

What do you think you can bring out in Zack Kassian’s game that can get him to that next level?

“I think probably the biggest thing he needs is consistency...

“I think a guy like Alex Burrows can help that a lot. If he happens to be playing with him, on the bench, and talking to him;

:bigblush:

In all seriousness though, I like the sounds of the direction WD wants to take the team. Up-tempo attacking hockey and very interesting what he had to say regarding; if a young guy plays as well as a veteran that you go with the young guy. For those saying we've heard that before, we haven't. We've heard that if a young guy outplays a veteran he'll get in the lineup (even though that never happened when veterans were outplayed by young guys). In this case WD is saying all they have to do is be equal to the task. So very different from what's been said before. now whether that actually happens or not... We'll see. Can't wait for October now.

the coach, the gm and the prez won't be the ones lacing them up

You don't say?

I think the point that was being made, was with them being on the same page, the team being put out on the ice will likely have a better chance at success.

Thank you. I would have had to explain a lot of stuff that should be common knowledge.

AV didn't fail because his message got stale. The team failed because there were no serious improvement in the roster following the CUP final. AV like Torts were trying to win without a 2nd line and questionable bottom 6 players. Cap that with the injuries that Torts was dealing with. Not suggesting these coaches did not make mistakes but I consider the roster the main reason they did not succeed.

As much as I am encouraged by the increase in roster depth and the drafting of young talent this roster is still not a CUP contending group. I will be very surprised if the club is not more competitive but I expect 2015 to be a season of assessment and of young talent getting more of a chance to impress management. Spread the minutes and rotate talent from Utica. Come March trade some vets to CUP contending teams and continue the 'rebuild'. Last I looked 'rebuild' was not a four letter word. Anyone who does not think this is what is happening have not been watching the Pacific div for some time.

AV didn't fail because his message got stale. The team failed because there were no serious improvement in the roster following the CUP final. AV like Torts were trying to win without a 2nd line and questionable bottom 6 players. Cap that with the injuries that Torts was dealing with. Not suggesting these coaches did not make mistakes but I consider the roster the main reason they did not succeed.

As much as I am encouraged by the increase in roster depth and the drafting of young talent this roster is still not a CUP contending group. I will be very surprised if the club is not more competitive but I expect 2015 to be a season of assessment and of young talent getting more of a chance to impress management. Spread the minutes and rotate talent from Utica. Come March trade some vets to CUP contending teams and continue the 'rebuild'. Last I looked 'rebuild' was not a four letter word. Anyone who does not think this is what is happening have not been watching the Pacific div for some time.

This is completely obvious to people not trying to make excuses for why their beloved Canucks sucked. This is the analogy that I keep coming up with:

It's like the 10 year babysitter finally got in a fight with the boss and got fired. Now they may have brought in some 15 year old schoolgirl to do the job but in the meantime they took down the fence, drained the pool, left out the power saws, put booze and pills within reach of the children, and built a partially constructed playground half finished with nails, rusty objects, and open bottles of paint thinner left all around the site. And then of course blame the new babysitter when a kid gets hurt.

This is completely obvious to people not trying to make excuses for why their beloved Canucks sucked. This is the analogy that I keep coming up with:

It's like the 10 year babysitter finally got in a fight with the boss and got fired. Now they may have brought in some 15 year old schoolgirl to do the job but in the meantime they took down the fence, drained the pool, left out the power saws, put booze and pills within reach of the children, and built a partially constructed playground half finished with nails, rusty objects, and open bottles of paint thinner left all around the site. And then of course blame the new babysitter when a kid gets hurt.

Anyone foolish enough to solely blame previous management is just as bad as anyone solely blaming coaching.

Burke, Nonis, Gillis, Torts (and to some degree AV - though largely his biggest flaw was his time here simply running it's course) and the players (not to mention some sheer bad luck) all share some amount of blame for the state of the team the last few years.

Yeah, I agree with this.

In particular I'd love it if Benning had the jam to be moving guys at the deadline - if they're out of the playoffs (even by one spot). If they're in, however, I don't think they should (nor will they).

Funny, because he's saying a lot of the same sorta things that Torts did this time last year.

Wants to make playoffs: Check.

Attack-brand hockey: Check.

Compete every shift: Check.

Confidence in Luongo/Miller: Check.

Believes in Sedins: Check.

Talked to players: Check.

Respects players: Check.

Needs newer guys to do more things: Check.

Needs to find a way to get Kassian going: Check.

Hopeful for Edler: Check.

Kassian needs to be more consistent: Check.

Prospects will have to earn spots: Check.

Sedins still elite and they'll have to be: Check.

In tough here during this phase: Check.

The difference is...we have seen & will see more evidence, that we can actually believe what Willie is sayin' to us.

Willie has better report cards from his former-players, than Torts. Willie has also demonstrated that he's a keener & a far more invested worker, by attending Summer Prospects' Camps....speaking with Travis Green,...& I bet your buckets,..that he attends the Young Stars Tournament & holds more practices next season,...especially if his players are requesting it. And - Willie really wants to be here among us, long term. He chose VAN over PITT,...which was pretty cool. As for Torts, VAN was clearly his NHL team of last resort.

Torts could have returned Corrado & Jensen back to Utica to help 'em make their play-offs,.. rather than have those 2 play a couple of extra meaningless NHL games, in the end. After gaining their NHL stride, he should have sent them back, to be more battle-readied for the future & gain some additional leadership experience. Imagine what those "play-off juices" might have done for them....especially after such a difficult start to Utica's season. The Utica group had finally come together & they were committed to playing for each other. It would have been priceless to watch....but instead, Torts decided to pull-the-rug-out from under Travis, by retaining Green's 2 most-skilled kids longer than necessary,... for a bit of extra showcase-time & NHL money.

Torts apparently trusted no one... but himself. He didnt even trust Green enough to converse with him! He likely saw Green as a threat to replace him someday...rather than as his ally in developing players. Torts preferred to have the rookies around at season's end,.. to placate, impress & subvert,.. as if they were ready-made insulation against the criticism he knew he'd receive. Team-builder? Hah! Torts created internal divides through-out the organization. That's my take, from the outside lookin' in.

Willie's professional windows appear to be far more transparent & open. From what the world has already seen of this guy & his methods.. the Canucks have a far better situation brewing for themselves now, for sure. Bonus points, for signing a coach who's delighted to live in Canada... & who anticipates spending a lot of his free-time actually enjoying what one of the most beautiful cities in the world has to offer!

Archived