The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign Centre Jared McCann

"And the Vancouver Canucks draft Jared McCann"

TSN: "ouch. That is one hurting draft selection. Can't skate, can't score, can't defend to save his life. I really don't know what the Vancouver Canucks are doing on this one."

Benning: "yeah we didn't like McCann at all. There was really nothing left after him so we had to take him. He can't skate, can't score, can't defend to save his life. I would be extremely surprised if he ever made the team".

TSN: Jared, are you surprised you got drafter at all?"

McCann: "it is what is it. I can't skate, can't score, can't defend to save my life. I don't think il make the Canucks or any other team; ever."

Would that make you happier?

A bunch of bs said by some pro-TO troll? No.

Stylistically, McCann plays a lot like Larionov did, just with a harder shot.

I'm not saying he'll be the next "professor" though. After all, Larionov is a pioneer to the game and a Hall of Famer. More realistically, I think he'll be an accomplished top-6 player in the NHL. I truly believe that.

Gaunce, Horvat, and McCann all play honest, hard-working two-way games and have the exceptional hockey sense that's needed to play in the NHL at the centre position. All have different skating styles and bring different intangibles offensively, and if they all develop properly, they WILL be accomplished NHL'ers.

Speed on the wing is also very vital in the NHL, and especially in the Western Conference. Our top wing prospects are: Shinkaruk, Virtanen and Jensen. All three of these boys can burn.

I like where our future is heading! It's looking more Canadian than ever. And yes, I consider Jensen half Canadian, considering that his dad's Canadian and Nicklas played in the OHL with the Generals.

I'm full of optimism :)

... he's simply saying we need to temper our expectations since every player we pick is a "steal"

He's just a guy who can't find any middle ground. Either everyone is the next Superstar or is a bust. Has to live in one of the two extremes. Maybe, just maybe he becomes a serviceable dependable 2nd/3rd liner. He doesn't need to be Toews.

Stylistically, McCann plays a lot like Larionov did, just with a harder shot.

I'm not saying he'll be the next "professor" though. After all, Larionov is a pioneer to the game and a Hall of Famer. More realistically, I think he'll be an accomplished top-6 player in the NHL. I truly believe that.

Gaunce, Horvat, and McCann all play honest, hard-working two-way games and have the exceptional hockey sense that's needed to play in the NHL at the centre position. All have different skating styles and bring different intangibles offensively, and if they all develop properly, they WILL be accomplished NHL'ers.

Speed on the wing is also very vital in the NHL, and especially in the Western Conference. Our top wing prospects are: Shinkaruk, Virtanen and Jensen. All three of these boys can burn.

I like where our future is heading! It's looking more Canadian than ever. And yes, I consider Jensen half Canadian, considering that his dad's Canadian and Nicklas played in the OHL with the Generals.

I'm full of optimism :)

Me to troll

This mccann is a steal at #24 and cant wate to see what he can do

How am I a troll?

There was a jerk here who kept calling me it i thought it was u i guess i must of bin wrong. Sorry

Anyways im pretty stoaked a bout mccann and i think he will be pumped to play here when hes ready cause i dont beleave the rumors he didnt want to be here

Indeed. ie. Derp.

However, physical development trumps all advanced stats mumbo jumbo at this stage. My concern about McCann isn't all that high, but our expectations should also be tempered, as usual. We seem to think that we drafted yet another steal here yet again.

FTR; there is a reason Virtanen who is a stud athlete, amongst the fastest and fittest in the draft and 205 lbs at 17 was drafted ahead of McCann. He could be equal, hell even better in hockey skills (see Shinkaruk or Kapanen sliding to a similar spot), and still not get drafted in the same position as a guy like Virtanen.

The record already shows the powers that be are on to the point you are making.

Looks to be a promising future 3C for us.

Could be a 2C or even a 1C for us. Longshot but still a chance.

I have a feeling he was joking.. or maybe he wasn't. It seems every time we draft a 1st rounder, someone says, "they will make a great 3rd liner!".

McCann is going to be a real solid player for us. He was ranked as having the 5th best IQ in the draft, comparable to Reinhart and Bennet. I think we got a real gem. If he is given a bigger role on the team I'm sure he can put up some great offensive numbers. The only knock on him was that he hasn't been able to translate his skill/hockey IQ into points but Kyle Dubas (now Toronto AGM) stated that McCann was too focused on defence during the season and thus deployed in more defensive zone situations. I don't see that as a problem as all. He could definitely become a Kesler comparable for us in a couple years.

Being smart and defensively responsible down the middle and strong/skilled on the wings certainly never hurt any team.

This kid will be great have a feeling hes got a real chip on his shoulder. Also didn't other GM's already ask about this kid?

Apparently 3 teams expressed interest, but with the Canucks you never really know if it's just lip service. As much as i like the Linden/Benning combo they ARE trying to restore his teams ticket base.... so dropping little nuggets like that, well, it won't hurt anyone if it's not true...

I have a feeling he was joking.. or maybe he wasn't. It seems every time we draft a 1st rounder, someone says, "they will make a great 3rd liner!".

I like Gaunce, Horvat and even Cassels over Mccann. He's got lots of competition. Haven't seen anything to indicate he's more than a 3C

Is he ahl eligible now that he's signed or could he play with the nhl club?

For the millionth time, him signing a contract has nothing to do with whether or not he can play in the AHL. He's still bound by the CHL/NHL agreement so if he doesn't stick with the Canucks then he goes back to junior. It's the same as when any of our other prospects have signed in the past and will be the same for the next prospect we sign.

FTR; there is a reason Virtanen who is a stud athlete, amongst the fastest and fittest in the draft and 205 lbs at 17 was drafted ahead of McCann. He could be equal, hell even better in hockey skills (see Shinkaruk or Kapanen sliding to a similar spot), and still not get drafted in the same position as a guy like Virtanen.

The record already shows the powers that be are on to the point you are making.

And we drafted Alek Stojanov 7th overall in 1991, how big was he? Seems like we only had success out of that draft pick once we traded him for Markus Naslund, an undersized, skilled player - one of three jerseys retired in the rafters.

Nothing is definitive. Great size without comparative skill isn't worth a heck of a lot, but great skill without comparative size can still do pretty darn good.

Archived