The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign Centre Jared McCann

Wow, you beat Vintage and Strombone? Impressive.

I'm surprised McCann was signed before Virtanen. Does his injury and ongoing rehab have something to do with it? Does Benning and co. want to see Virtanen healed up and playing before signing him?

what's the rush with. Virtanen he's on I.r for a bit

I like Gaunce, Horvat and even Cassels over Mccann. He's got lots of competition. Haven't seen anything to indicate he's more than a 3C

I like Horvat at wing as well. In fact ROR and Couture who guy compared him to can also play wing. Hell, any center can.

McCann's a 2nd line kinda guy as he's not built for checking.

And we drafted Alek Stojanov 7th overall in 1991, how big was he? Seems like we only had success out of that draft pick once we traded him for Markus Naslund, an undersized, skilled player - one of three jerseys retired in the rafters.

Nothing is definitive. Great size without comparative skill isn't worth a heck of a lot, but great skill without comparative size can still do pretty darn good.

which is why some people on these boards were upset that the Canucks took Virtanen when Ehlers and Nylander were still available.

Nice... good to get him under contract. Plus, this year wont count on his ELC since he will be playing in SOO

Yep. Definitely going back to junior this year. Is McCann invited to main camp with all the other veterans come Sept?

Hopefully the Canucks version of Logan Couture. He has that potential and 2 way game with his size and skating ability, plus Benning said he has a good release on his wrister.

In 2 years the Canucks might actually have some youth in their lineup but it's best not to rush him or Virtanen till they get a year in the minors at the very least to make sure they are truly ready.

I see Virtanen closer to getting an opportunity to make the Canucks than McCann to making the Canucks roster just because of the glut of centers the Canucks have now in the system and some space for natural wingers.

which is why some people on these boards were upset that the Canucks took Virtanen when Ehlers and Nylander were still available.

Oh well I guess. Benning's mandate this draft was to add size as almost every guy taken was over 6 feet tall. Maybe next year they can focus on taking guys in the first 3 rounds who have high end offensive upside whether they are forwards or d-men since by now, they have enough guys in the system who are good 2 way players at forward and d but lack the true stud high end offensive players.

Now that they are finally starting to accumulate some prospect depth they can take a shot on the higher risk/reward guys.

cant wait till the start of camp. I know this wont happen but would be so crazy if mcann outplayed all rookies and stole a spot again i know thats not gonna happen but he does have more raw talent then any of our young centres. I was looking back on our draft this year benning really did hit it out of the park. jake was ranked 6 by nhl scouts with the onis being hes the youngest guy in the draft and 10 years from now might have been the grandslam of it. mcann was ranked 10th by nhl scouts and one scout was on record saying hes a top 5 pick (the hockey news agrees) and that he may end up being the best centre taken. After reading the wonder kid dubas article its hard to argue with them. at 36 we snagged the future #1 in 4 years. its rare nowadays to see goalies ranked in the top 30 but thatcher was in at least 10 mock drafts that i could find in the top 30, three of those from nhl.com had him as high as 18th. already was a starter as a freshman and had great sucess plud made the wjc as a 17 yearold makes me think we got our own gibson. Last but not least tymekin a giant with a booming shot and a goos skater whos already an established pro, who really wants to play here. he paid for hios own way to the draft and may opt out a year from now from the khl. all in all we snagged a big elite sniper a possible elite 1c and our new future elite goalie and chara part deux, best draft ever for the nucks? cant wait to find out.

Does this mean McCann seems more promising than Virtanen at this point?

I don't think so, but I wonder why he was signed first .

EDIT: perhaps injury apparently might have something to do with it?

I guess it was just about timing. Maybe Jared was available that day and Jake the next. I doubt that has anything to do with who is more promising.

Does this mean McCann seems more promising than Virtanen at this point?

I don't think so, but I wonder why he was signed first .

EDIT: perhaps injury apparently might have something to do with it?

These two guys were signed a few days apart. So what? Maybe their agents were on vacation, who knows, it's business, not everything happens in our precessed agenda. There is no signing order.

Mark my words. McCann will be the steal of this draft and will have a far better career than Virtanen.

Yah i a gree totaly infact anyone can quote me on it. Mccann will have a better carrer then virtanen. Im still not happy a bout takeint virtanen but as explaned to me theres a reason benning is a GM and not me so i hope virtanen terns into the next seguin or p kane

Yah i a gree totaly infact anyone can quote me on it. Mccann will have a better carrer then virtanen. Im still not happy a bout takeint virtanen but as explaned to me theres a reason benning is a GM and not me so i hope virtanen terns into the next seguin or p kane

Mark my words. McCann will be the steal of this draft and will have a far better career than Virtanen.

Lol, I guess we can take that to the bank then? :frantic::towel:

Good times.

Archived