The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

~ Lineup tweaks we may have missed

darkpoet

No, he shouldn't. He needs to earn his spot in the top 6 the same way Kassian has. We can't just hand young players spots in the top 6 when players like Burrows, Kassian, and Higgins are much more capable. If Jensen makes the team this year he will likely be playing on the third or fourth line.

Playing 10 decent games in three years is not "earning a second line spot". He has not earned a spot yet.

Which was exactly my point about shooters often playing their off side naturally. Go to YouTube and look up 'Ryan Kesler One Timer' - actually, here you go:

Kesler scored a lot of goals for us from that spot. In the slot, particularly coming from the left point or half wall. The reason why that works is he's a right handed shooter on the left side so any pass coming to him from the right side of the ice gets to a shooting position sooner than if he was a left handed shot. The shot is quicker and the goalie gets less time to come across and set up for the save.

If he were a left handed shot on the left side, then the puck would have to cross his body before he could get the shot away, which is more time for the goalie to get across and set to make the save. It's not much, but that saves time too, and there's a reason why it works.

As far as on the blueline, that's totally different since they're always facing the offensive zone (where a winger digging in the corner or waiting on a pass out of their zone may be facing back to their own end) and generally want to have their stick on the strong side to make it easier to handle. You often see the defence partners switch sides when trying to setup a shot though, something much easier to do for them than it is for wingers.

That is on the PP. You never would see Kesler (when not at centre) playing the left side at even strength. Some players are natural on their opposite side like P. Kane and even Jensen amongst many others. The common thing between these players playing on their opposite side is the vast majority are pure offence players. Most defensive or "2-way" players stick to their natural side (LH on LW and RH on RW).

I am RH and play both LW and RW depending on who I'm paired with on the other wing. In terms of shooting I far prefer LW but in terms of seeing the ice and having more options I prefer RW. When I play centre it is much easier to hit a streaking player on his forehand then backhand adding to sticking to your natural side (granted NHL players should be adept and receiving BH and FH passes).

This can be beaten to death but I see it as having a righty playing with the Sedins opens up far more options offensively as you have that guy that opens the other side of the ice up for the Sedins. As they are aging and slowing down having this extra option is huge.

No way they trade Higgins to fit in a a toss away that's on a 2 way contract (Vey) or a gaping defensive hole named Jensen.

I think it's Hansen who is gone rather than Higgins.

There are too many young guys with far greater upside potential knocking at the door, most of these guys are already miles ahead of Hansen offensivley:

Vey,Jensen,Horvat,Gaunce,Shinkaruk,Fox,Cassels,Lain,Grennier and Friesen. That's not including McCann and Virtanen who I am sure include themselves as roster hopefuls this year as well!!!

Or less Canuck games and more Buffalo games...

I watched 8 Sabres games last year and one of my closest friends is a lifelong Sabres fan. He watches them as much as anyone and he tells me himself the truth. Tbh, when the trade happened, he was laughing, but seeing how Coho is doing now and Kassian in Vancouver, he says he gives the advantage to us atm. Says Cody is a lazy skater, inconsistent, and doesn't score enough in comparisons to the chances and opportunities he's given.

So no, I have a pretty good handle on Buffalo and you seemed to have posted that out of emotion for whatever reason that may be whether you like Coho or dislike Zack.

I watched 8 Sabres games last year and one of my closest friends is a lifelong Sabres fan. He watches them as much as anyone and he tells me himself the truth. Tbh, when the trade happened, he was laughing, but seeing how Coho is doing now and Kassian in Vancouver, he says he gives the advantage to us atm. Says Cody is a lazy skater, inconsistent, and doesn't score enough in comparisons to the chances and opportunities he's given.

So no, I have a pretty good handle on Buffalo and you seemed to have posted that out of emotion for whatever reason that may be whether you like Coho or dislike Zack.

I have no problem with the trade. Cody is bit more offensively gifted but he certainly can't hit a guy so hard he wakes up in Russia. Zack has underrated speed and sees the ice very well. Cody is a center and we never really replaced that depth.

There are reasons to hate the trade and love it but there is no real reason not to give Kassian a fair shake on this team because he had the least to do with the trade. His only sin was being a guy that Gillis would trade Cody for.

That is on the PP. You never would see Kesler (when not at centre) playing the left side at even strength. Some players are natural on their opposite side like P. Kane and even Jensen amongst many others. The common thing between these players playing on their opposite side is the vast majority are pure offence players. Most defensive or "2-way" players stick to their natural side (LH on LW and RH on RW).

I am RH and play both LW and RW depending on who I'm paired with on the other wing. In terms of shooting I far prefer LW but in terms of seeing the ice and having more options I prefer RW. When I play centre it is much easier to hit a streaking player on his forehand then backhand adding to sticking to your natural side (granted NHL players should be adept and receiving BH and FH passes).

This can be beaten to death but I see it as having a righty playing with the Sedins opens up far more options offensively as you have that guy that opens the other side of the ice up for the Sedins. As they are aging and slowing down having this extra option is huge.

It's not just the PP. You do get extra space in an odd man advantage situation that allows for better setups, but in 5 on 5 when the action's tighter it can be argued it's just as important to have a shooter on his off side to better release shots. If they were on their regular side then the puck would have to potentially get through more traffic for a player to even make contact with their stick.

There's also situations during fast breaks up ice where a player receiving a pass can take a quicker shot on his off side as well. When the goalie has less to focus on (maybe 2 or 3 attacking players during the rush) it's even more important that the shot is released quicker to keep the goalie from getting across.

But then that's what I'm saying Kesler is an offensive shooter more than a playmaking center. Same with Kane (who also can play center) and of course Jensen as you mentioned. It sounds like we're agreeing actually apart from you saying it's only on the PP to start with.

It's really obvious that the projected lineup for the Canucks will change. Whichever lineup Willie D. Feels comfortable with, I will too because he's a WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!! He's gonna get us into the 2nd round of the playoffs guaranteed just to be busted out but even if we win a playoff series, I would be jumping for joyy. JB will have some tough decisions when we arrive to trade deadline and we are doing good. Personally I'd prefer we are buyers rather than sellers but I could be wrong. I'd personally ship out Markstrom and Sestito. Markstrom hasn't had a great pedigree to his name but he has tons of potential. If he doesn't like being in the minors and requests for a trade (for real this time) I'd prefer getting a good solid 3rd liner just in case injuries start to come and a late pick. For Sestito, it's tough for me to determine his value personally. I'd trade him to a contender(although he'd prob be scratched every game) for a gritty guy like Carcillo or a bottom 2 dman. Whatever we get for him I'd be happy :)

If it were up to me i would only draft ambidextrous players. But I'm wondering about the curve on the stick. Anyone got any ideas.?

Electromechanical switch embedded in the upper shaft, obviously.

Use a straight blade like those old Northwoods Bobby Hull used to kill people with,.. call it the Flipper. It even makes pinball noises when you engage it :P

It's really obvious that the projected lineup for the Canucks will change. Whichever lineup Willie D. Feels comfortable with, I will too because he's a WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!! He's gonna get us into the 2nd round of the playoffs guaranteed just to be busted out but even if we win a playoff series, I would be jumping for joyy. JB will have some tough decisions when we arrive to trade deadline and we are doing good. Personally I'd prefer we are buyers rather than sellers but I could be wrong. I'd personally ship out Markstrom and Sestito. Markstrom hasn't had a great pedigree to his name but he has tons of potential. If he doesn't like being in the minors and requests for a trade (for real this time) I'd prefer getting a good solid 3rd liner just in case injuries start to come and a late pick. For Sestito, it's tough for me to determine his value personally. I'd trade him to a contender(although he'd prob be scratched every game) for a gritty guy like Carcillo or a bottom 2 dman. Whatever we get for him I'd be happy :)

I really miss Torres (no homo)

Being dinged for being an outright brute aside, he is exactly the player you need on a 3rd line to win Championships.

Although, as already mentioned our bottom 6 does look pretty good. If that 2nd line can somehow come together it could be an interesting season.

It's not just the PP. You do get extra space in an odd man advantage situation that allows for better setups, but in 5 on 5 when the action's tighter it can be argued it's just as important to have a shooter on his off side to better release shots. If they were on their regular side then the puck would have to potentially get through more traffic for a player to even make contact with their stick.

There's also situations during fast breaks up ice where a player receiving a pass can take a quicker shot on his off side as well. When the goalie has less to focus on (maybe 2 or 3 attacking players during the rush) it's even more important that the shot is released quicker to keep the goalie from getting across.

But then that's what I'm saying Kesler is an offensive shooter more than a playmaking center. Same with Kane (who also can play center) and of course Jensen as you mentioned. It sounds like we're agreeing actually apart from you saying it's only on the PP to start with.

We are in agreement! I do completely agree that opposite side shots are much easier to receive and release. I believe that is largely why you see so many offensively gifted players making the switch to the opposite side from their handedness. Also, even if say Vrbata is a RW that does not mean he does not weave to the LW slot in the course of play to align a shot. I think having that righty shot in 5 on 5 situations will open up more opportunity for the Sedins to work some magic.

My only thing about this is in a non-offensive sense. In the neutral zone and defensive zone it is hard as a righty on the left side to reach across my body to attempt a poke check or play on the puck. It is also hard to get the puck on the boards as I have my back to the breakout if I play the boards on my forehand. This leaves me vulnerable to hits (though I play non-checking now) and having my pocket picked if I am not fully aware of where players are. Nonetheless, I agree that playing on the opposite side of your handedness can make a huge impact on getting a quick and effective shot off.

Yes, you should watch more Canucks games..

You should take your blinders off when you watch them, it would be hard for anyone to say with a straight face that he played with any consistency and looked motivated the whole game other then the last ten games or so at the end of the season.

Edit: I'm not saying that he couldn't prove he's ready for the top six just that he hasn't so far in anyway whatsoever.

You should take your blinders off when you watch them, it would be hard for anyone to say with a straight face that he played with any consistency and looked motivated the whole game other then the last ten games or so at the end of the season.

Edit: I'm not saying that he couldn't prove he's ready for the top six just that he hasn't so far in anyway whatsoever.

Yeah, put Hansen there again, he proved he's ready. Thanks, I'd rather try Zack.

Zack will start the season on the 2nd line. He's been working his bag off this summer because he knows what's at stake.

People can argue that he hasn't showed enough to deserve a spot there... then again, a lot of those same people talk about how they want to see Jensen there.... sigh... CDC

Zack needs to be a top 6 guy and he's going to make it happen, or not. And I believe he will. This year.

You are choosing to not see the connection.

Zack's only 23 years old.

What he did or did not do in Buffalo when he was 19 isn't really relevant in any way.

If he was 30 now, and there was some established pattern of inconsistency, there may be something to say about it. (if this is in fact what you're alluding to)

You have to judge him from his most recent performance, and that means this past year. Sure, he made mistakes (don't all our forwards not named Sedin?), but he had a very good season even apart from the last bit. He was hungry to score, and it showed, with 13 EV goals, second only to Kesler's 14. He was an above-average possession player, despite only a 43.3 offensive ZS%. Dude got 0.40ppg playing third line minutes and almost no powerplay time. Despite what people describe as defensive weaknesses, he had a GF% of 52.1% (+2.9% relative to the team). What more do you want?

Source: Google cache of Extra Skater

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:R30RJqx768gJ:www.extraskater.com/player/384/zack-kassian+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Electromechanical switch embedded in the upper shaft, obviously.

Use a straight blade like those old Northwoods Bobby Hull used to kill people with,.. call it the Flipper. It even makes pinball noises when you engage it :P

now if you could patent that and only sell rights to the Canucks we may actually get a cup. It could be a difference maker.

Archived