The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis FAILED

Canucks35

If I could write a letter to that...that MONSTER...

Dear, former GM and now unemployed Mike Gillis,

I will never forgive you. See the day you traded goaltender Cory Schneider you absolutely destroyed this team in a way you could not have imagined with that burnt out brain of yours. While some were excited about the trade and a new prospect with some high potential coming in, I could've cared less at the time. This team was coming off of two back to back Presidents trophies followed by finishing 3rd in the Western Conference. Now we all know the playoff struggles were as bad a they could've gotten and some changes were needed but you sir just managed to create a circus. Didn't you at least bother to look around the NHL and learn from other GM's. Even after Niemi led the Hawks to the Stanley Cup they moved on and let Crawford step in and Tim Thomas and Tukka Rask is another great example. Schneider was just meant to lead this team and be the new franchise goalie. His age was perfect, he was ready, and more than that we had no other goalie in our system that could fill his spot besides Luongo, but obviously you had other plans. So to fix all this you hired a miserable midget who for the last 42 games looked like he just wanted to commit suicide and of course I'm sure when you traded Lu you were fully supported throwing Lack the rookie net minder to the wolves as well. You were an absolute fail and the biggest cancer this team has faced in the history of this franchise.

Yours truly,

Canucks35

*On a side note...Cory Schneider in a re-done draft is worth more than Bo Horvat, who I have nothing against in fact he's my favourite Canucks prospect right behind McCaan.

Here's the 2004 if it was done all over again (with Cory Schneider):

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=722892

Now that's not to say that if the 2013 Draft was looked back at 5 years later that Bo Horvat couldn't be rated a top 5 if he became as star player in this league... But this isn't about Horvat it's not his fault or his problem he's just living his dream.

WP-CanucksMikeGillis.jpg

Well, it wasn't all bad...

He took what Nonis/Burke left behind to the finals and ushered in a prospect development program that is starting to become legit now. The core players peaked and are now declining, which was going to happened regardless of the GM, but what's important is that he left the organization far better than what he found when he started. That's about all he could have done.

Tired of the whiney butthurt by clueless Canucks fans that have no idea what a process is.

Took the team to the Stanley Cup Finals where we were up 2-0 series but ended up losing in game 7 - he did all he could. The greatest stretch of hockey this city has ever seen, greatest team, most talent, it was just magic on ice. Sure he mismanaged a few things but who doesn't?

To say he failed is just plain stupid, like honestly... :picard:

He was a decent NHL GM. His time came and went and the organization moved on. Be thankful that the Canucks top brass knew when to relieve him of his duties. He left the Canucks in better shape than he found it. That's what people look for in a GM.

No.

Gillis didn't fail, it was me. It was all my fault the Canucks couldn't win the Cup. It was all my fault the team entered a precipitous decline. Don't put the blame on Gillis, blame it on me.

I failed the Canucks, the fans, and the city. For that, I am truly sorry.

Goaltenders these days just don't seem to be worth that much. Let's look at some of the recent goaltending trades.

Varlamov: 1st Rnd Pick 2012, and 2nd Rnd Pick

Bishop: Cory Conacher

Jonathan Bernier: Matt Frattin, and a 2nd and 3rd Rnd pick

The 2013 draft was deep, and I'd honestly rather take the 9th overall in that draft, than any of the above packages. Just look at the market. It wasn't a bad trade....Horvat is our best prospect.

goaltenders on the free agent side are also not that high in demand. I don't believe there was a long line up for either Jonas Hlller or Ryan Miller, and they were both quality goaltenders.

1. I'm glad you got that out of your system.
  2. There's no need to lower yourself to petty insults. It makes you look immature.
  3. This topic has been done to death. Perhaps we can collectively move on.

Archived