The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Day Downtown......

It's approaching August, and as we inch closer to hockey season, its getting closer to that time of year where I stock up on Nucks' gear. That day came early this year. I visited the Robson team store, before I looked at anything in the store I approached a staff member and asked her if they had any Ryan Miller t-shirts. She looked at me blankly, I repeated 'Ryan Miller'. She said she didn't think they did, but then her fellow associate was able to help me find a shirt. It really opened my eyes as to how many people aren't really educated on our team and how many true 'fairweather' fans we really do have. The same situation occurred at a Jersey City location a while back, when I asked a man if they had a Chris Higgins jersey in a small. He didn't really know what I was talking about. It really frustrated me on how our bandwagon exploded in 2011 but ever since then, more people have jumped ship. I must say it is nice though, no extreme bandwagoning. Looking forward to the season, Go Canucks Go!

To be fair, there are some people who are just looking for a job in retail and Canucks store isn't too gung-ho on presenting to a certain demographic like most retail stores (at least that's what my friend tells me).

Plus doesn't hurt to say you work For the CANUCKS store

To be fair, there are some people who are just looking for a job in retail and Canucks store isn't too gung-ho on presenting to a certain demographic like most retail stores (at least that's what my friend tells me).

Well It sort of is, I guess. When I went to the cashier to buy the Miller shirt, we started engaging about our expectations for Miller and the team in general. I guess it's just some employees then.

Well It sort of is, I guess. When I went to the cashier to buy the Miller shirt, we started engaging about our expectations for Miller and the team in general. I guess it's just some employees then.

Generally speaking, most of the females are fairweather fans (don't hurt me females) from what I've seen at the Canucks stores. I like asking for jersey recommendations for the humor and I've gotten Kelser, Crosby, Gillis, Best-ka, and Viggy (assuming it was meant to be Vigneault) as my favorite answers

It's approaching August, and as we inch closer to hockey season, its getting closer to that time of year where I stock up on Nucks' gear. That day came early this year. I visited the Robson team store, before I looked at anything in the store I approached a staff member and asked her if they had any Ryan Miller t-shirts. She looked at me blankly, I repeated 'Ryan Miller'. She said she didn't think they did, but then her fellow associate was able to help me find a shirt. It really opened my eyes as to how many people aren't really educated on our team and how many true 'fairweather' fans we really do have. The same situation occurred at a Jersey City location a while back, when I asked a man if they had a Chris Higgins jersey in a small. He didn't really know what I was talking about. It really frustrated me on how our bandwagon exploded in 2011 but ever since then, more people have jumped ship. I must say it is nice though, no extreme bandwagoning. Looking forward to the season, Go Canucks Go!

I dunno the more the marryer doesnt hurt anyone haveing band wagon fans so i say bring em on

TBH i dont get the hate a lot of sports fans have for bandwagoners

Well, you either like hockey or you don't.

Same way people here are always like "oh soccer sux every1 dives" but then proceed to watch the world cup like they're huge fans.

There hasn't been a lot to like the last two seasons. People make fun of LA for hockey, Miami for basketball.. but in reality every city is the same.

I dunno the more the marryer doesnt hurt anyone haveing band wagon fans so i say bring em on

The only post of all of yours i've ever somewhat agreed with.

Well, you either like hockey or you don't.

Same way people here are always like "oh soccer sux every1 dives" but then proceed to watch the world cup like they're huge fans.

There hasn't been a lot to like the last two seasons. People make fun of LA for hockey, Miami for basketball.. but in reality every city is the same.

The only post of all of yours i've ever somewhat agreed with.

The world cup's nice because it's just a few weeks with the best players in the world (like the Olympics). I would never be able to watch a full season of soccer with the diving thought, it would drive me insane.

I think its just annoying because bandwagoners talk as if they have a valid knowledge and info pertaining to the game, players individually, players in asset to their line, players in asset to their team, the team in general, and management. Not saying that some don't, but again generalizing that bandwagoners are just WOO Canucks when we're winning, and BOO CANUCKS SUCK when we lose. They should be rooting for the team regardless. I mean I criticized the previous years teams all the time but I still cheered them on with all my heart. And getting into a discussion with them on why we haven't traded the Sedins? Oh boy..

The world cup's nice because it's just a few weeks with the best players in the world (like the Olympics). I would never be able to watch a full season of soccer with the diving thought, it would drive me insane.

it's funny, because I see an equal amount of diving in an NHL game as I do in a BPL game.

judging from the amount of people saying "he dove" on literally every single penalty call against us during the season, i'd say there's more in an NHL game.

Maybe they are employees and not fans of the team. You don't need to have any knowledge of the Canucks to be a good employee of the store. Also it maybe possible that she was a new employee or she might not have knowledge of Ryan Miller as it is probably a recent product that the store has stocked.

Generally speaking, most of the females are fairweather fans (don't hurt me females) from what I've seen at the Canucks stores. I like asking for jersey recommendations for the humor and I've gotten Kelser, Crosby, Gillis, Best-ka, and Viggy (assuming it was meant to be Vigneault) as my favorite answers

Again you don't need to be a knowledgeable Canucks fan to be a good employee. Do you even know what a "fair-weather fan" is? Not sure how working at the store and not knowing the player names makes anyone a "fairweather fan". Also the whole "females are generally fairweather fans" is also incredibly offensive. I have found that a lot more males are fans than females which is pretty obvious why, but I have found that the ratio of fans that know what the hell they are talking about is about the same in both sexes.

That always surprises me too. I work in the sports field as well and it was pretty surprising to me to realize that most of my coworkers don't actually know much about sports. We work with athletes and teams on a daily basis and yet some of our staff lack basic knowledge, which prevents them from being able to communicate with our clients. I've always wondered why people get jobs in fields where they have no interest whatsoever.

And in the case of the Canucks store, it's more about knowing your merchandise and inventory. It's one thing to not know who Ryan Miller is, but she should at least have an idea of which shirts are on their shelves!

Don't really care about bandwagoners, I just quietly laugh at people when it's obvious they don't know what they're talking about, sports or otherwise.

Anywho, you would think somebody working at the team store should have some basic knowledge of the team, or at the very least the inventory they have.

Archived