The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think people need an open mind here....I did some research to see how often the other teams change their jerseys.... It seems that on average every five years they modify or change. Sometimes even more often.

The fact that orca bay is no longer involved and we are still rocking a whale....I'm inclined to switch it up.

With Linden, Benning, Lidster and company....I'd love to see yellow and black with the skate logo. Maybe even just a few times a year.

Lol!!! Still rocking the whale, after all these years after Orca Bay ended! That is sadly hilarious & true.

Totally agree with you! The time is ripe to retire the orca because it no longer has significance to the team & misrepresents the Canucks nickname.

If people really want Canucks to go back to an original logo here's the choices.

Word mark Canucks across the chest

Stick in Rink

Johnny Canuck (who was only used for 2 years)

That's what we she do the poll on

Yes, Jejejester!

Agreed that's what we should do on the poll question.

Go with the Stick in Rink logo, or the skating Johnny Canuck logo, or something completely new for the NHL Canucks team (ie. adopting the WHL Canucks word mark as you always keep reminding us).

I'm for that.

Well that is because there really isn't a true logo for the word "Canuck" short of stylized font.

Johnny Canuck or something generic will have the same amount of "nothing to do with" as the orca. And spare me Johnny has the word "Canuck" in it. The original Johnny Canuck btw was portrayed as a mountie. So a lumberjack and a mountie still have nothing to do with "Canuck." Nor does a hockey rink...

So short of changing our name to the Vancouver Lumberjacks...

Doesn't matter what the logo is for the Canucks, as long as it makes sense.

The Canucks logo to be represented by a orca is wrong on so many levels.

The term Canuck is not a reference to a whale. Canuck represents the Canadian. Whether he be a pilot, a mountie, a blue collar lumberjack, etc... The lumberjack has historical & current significance to this day in Vancouver & BC.

If you don't think so, I suggest you take a road up north to Prince George like I did 2 years ago. I was surprised to see plenty of logging trucks driving along BC's highways.

I think Johnny in some form would make sense. The stick n rink should never be removed. Either as a shoulder patch or crest it should be a mainstay till the end of time. If Linden and company decide to make to move to Johnny as a logo, I truly hope they look at many possible sketches and make a smart decision, a logo that the fan base related too. So much so that any potential new owner in the future wouldn't even think to change it.

I think Johnny in some form would make sense. The stick n rink should never be removed. Either as a shoulder patch or crest it should be a mainstay till the end of time. If Linden and company decide to make to move to Johnny as a logo, I truly hope they look at many possible sketches and make a smart decision, a logo that the fan base related too. So much so that any potential new owner in the future wouldn't even think to change it.

Totally agree.

Yes, Jejejester!

Agreed that's what we should do on the poll question.

Go with the Stick in Rink logo, or the skating Johnny Canuck logo, or something completely new for the NHL Canucks team (ie. adopting the WHL Canucks word mark as you always keep reminding us).

I'm for that.

What I think might look good is combine stick in rink with the word mark, and have Johnny Canuck on the shoulders.

For a 3rd jersey just switch stick in rink and Johnny Canuck

Doesn't matter what the logo is for the Canucks, as long as it makes sense.

The Canucks logo to be represented by a orca is wrong on so many levels.

The term Canuck is not a reference to a whale. Canuck represents the Canadian. Whether he be a pilot, a mountie, a blue collar lumberjack, etc... The lumberjack has historical & current significance to this day in Vancouver & BC.

If you don't think so, I suggest you take a road up north to Prince George like I did 2 years ago. I was surprised to see plenty of logging trucks driving along BC's highways.

Orca also represents West Coast, which is part of Canada. Anything can represent a Canuck/Canadian. Heck our logo should therefore be a beaver drinking maple syrup.

I suggest you take a trip to Victoria like I did 2 years ago. I was not surprised to see Orcas.

And sure, there are loggers in BC, but there are also miners, farmers, fisherman...so why not them?!

Orca also represents West Coast, which is part of Canada. Anything can represent a Canuck/Canadian. Heck our logo should therefore be a beaver drinking maple syrup.

I suggest you take a trip to Victoria like I did 2 years ago. I was not surprised to see Orcas.

And sure, there are loggers in BC, but there are also miners, farmers, fisherman...so why not them?!

When Victoria gets a team, the Victoria Orcas will be welcomed with open arms. I still prefer the Victoria Cougars, though. Lol.

In all seriousness, the Orca logo has nothing to do with why the Canucks are called the "Canucks". That same beaver drinking maple syrup could be added to Toronto's Maple Leaf and Montreal's CH.

Pretty much. While I can respect PJ's personal preference for a different jersey - there is absolutely no way you can argue that the current logo - an Orca in Haida-style artwork - doesn't represent BC in a unique fashion. The fact that it is shaped as a "C" is about as much of a nod to the ambiguous "Canucks" that is needed. A larger nod, it might be said, than that of the stick-in-rink.

Yes, change it one more time. Get rid of the orca. This time make it right once & for all, so it can stand the test of time!

Yes, there are miners, farmers, fishermen, etc... However one identity had to be picked, thus the lumberjack was picked to signify the deep roots of the lumber industry in Vancouver & BC.

Historically speaking, lumber & mining were the founding industries of Vancouver & BC respectively.

The 1858 Fraser Canyon Gold Rush, which saw a huge migration of miners from California was cause for alarm for Sir James Douglas, then the Governor of Vancouver Island & overseer of the area known then as New Caledonia. He feared that the huge influx of American miners (est. 30,000) would cause the US to have a reason to annex New Caledonia.

Thus he requested & received from London, a dispatch of Royal Engineers called Sappers headed by Colonel Moody to set up a base settlement in an area of New Westminster called Sapperton. Thus renaming the territory to the Colony of British Columbia. Sir Douglas also became the first Governor of the Colony of British Columbia, in order to assert British authority during the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush.

That's how BC came to be today.

To represent a Canuck as a whale is essentially wrong & misleading to the hockey brand.

Pretty much. While I can respect PJ's personal preference for a different jersey - there is absolutely no way you can argue that the current logo - an Orca in Haida-style artwork - doesn't represent BC in a unique fashion. The fact that it is shaped as a "C" is about as much of a nod to the ambiguous "Canucks" that is needed. A larger nod, it might be said, than that of the stick-in-rink.

I understand where you are coming from about the C being more obvious on the Orca logo than the Stick in Rink logo. I respect that.

However the orca gives the added misconception that a Canuck is a whale. To me, it's like having a beaver jump out of Les Canadiens CH logo. It would look ridiculous & I'm sure the majority of Montrealers would be down right upset. Which has been the case with the majority of Canuck Fans here.

The original release of McCaw's Orca logo garnered a 78% disapproval rating on one local tv station poll. The last release of the current RBK Canuck jerseys with the current Orca logo was described as disappointment with many Canucks fans including myself, as described in the local newspapers.

I like skating JC logo & think it is more relevant as a displayed hockey logo. He's a Canadian (aka a Canuck) with the toque, hockey gear & playoff beard.

I'm also open minded to a new & relevant C, V or combo VC logo that makes sense without any animals jumping out of it.

Thought about this yesterday, if (god forbid) Vancouver loses the Canucks due to relocation, bankruptcy, etc. what Logo would fans likely wear on caps, shirts, what would sell as vintage items? To me it's a no brainer. Stick N Rink. Not the orca, I guarantee it. I don't see any Golden seals or thrashers memorabilia. I see Nordiques, whalers, North Stars. What do these logos have in common with the stick n rink? Simplicity, history and class. If a non hockey person glanced at a Nordiques logo, they would be repulsed, I still don't know what it is. Is it an N with a stick? Some say it's an igloo. But its a beautiful thing to look at, it shouts out hockey.

Thought about this yesterday, if (god forbid) Vancouver loses the Canucks due to relocation, bankruptcy, etc. what Logo would fans likely wear on caps, shirts, what would sell as vintage items? To me it's a no brainer. Stick N Rink. Not the orca, I guarantee it. I don't see any Golden seals or thrashers memorabilia. I see Nordiques, whalers, North Stars. What do these logos have in common with the stick n rink? Simplicity, history and class. If a non hockey person glanced at a Nordiques logo, they would be repulsed, I still don't know what it is. Is it an N with a stick? Some say it's an igloo. But its a beautiful thing to look at, it shouts out hockey.

do you really think the reason you don't see golden seals or thrashers memorabilia is because the logos aren't great?

Archived