The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, after looking at some of the comments on my last design, I have tweaked it. No more whale tail, no whale at all, no flappy corners, a V for Vancouver, narrower shoulder yokes, and a bit more green in the white jersey. Not perfect, but an improvement!

I call it the "Stick in V" :

Canucks_Stick_In_V_1.png

and some alternate colour schemes:

Canucks_Stick_In_V_2.png

The arm striping was based on my last design, so it may not fit quite right here, but I'll change it later if necessary.

The white jersey with blue trim has wider accent stripes at the bottom and on the arm. Not sure which is better?

As for the logo, yeah..... maybe a bit redundant to just re-do the stick in rink into a V shape, but I think the V is a bit more obvious than the C in the current stick in rink. I don't think I realized it was supposed to even be a C until I saw the write up on the designer on the Canuck web site a while back!

I just realized I have the old stick in rink on the shoulders.... so that should probably be changed to the Johnny V or something.

I liked your Vancouver Whalers logo better :P

If you're going to evolve this one though I'd say you need to adjust the stick to be more like the original. It's at an awkward angle and also doesn't do what the original did, which is create a "C". If you were trying to make it create a "V"...it looks goofy.

Which brings me to the next issue... it does look a bit "caution signy". Perhaps make the triangle an actual V and try to sort out the stink in rink "C" within/behind that?

Ok, after looking at some of the comments on my last design, I have tweaked it. No more whale tail, no whale at all, no flappy corners, a V for Vancouver, narrower shoulder yokes, and a bit more green in the white jersey. Not perfect, but an improvement!

I call it the "Stick in V" :

Canucks_Stick_In_V_1.png

and some alternate colour schemes:

Canucks_Stick_In_V_2.png

The arm striping was based on my last design, so it may not fit quite right here, but I'll change it later if necessary.

The white jersey with blue trim has wider accent stripes at the bottom and on the arm. Not sure which is better?

As for the logo, yeah..... maybe a bit redundant to just re-do the stick in rink into a V shape, but I think the V is a bit more obvious than the C in the current stick in rink. I don't think I realized it was supposed to even be a C until I saw the write up on the designer on the Canuck web site a while back!

I just realized I have the old stick in rink on the shoulders.... so that should probably be changed to the Johnny V or something.

Pretty cool stuff. Good play on the stick in rink. Really like the white with blue, the bye with green and that green jersey is a sweet 3rd jersey

I liked your Vancouver Whalers logo better :P

If you're going to evolve this one though I'd say you need to adjust the stick to be more like the original. It's at an awkward angle and also doesn't do what the original did, which is create a "C". If you were trying to make it create a "V"...it looks goofy.

Which brings me to the next issue... it does look a bit "caution signy". Perhaps make the triangle an actual V and try to sort out the stink in rink "C" within/behind that?

Check out the updated one above. Less of a caution sign.

I used a different hockey stick silhouette too.

Personally though, I like the stick in the caution sign example better .... hmm.

Tough crowd :sadno: Hard to use any simple shape without somebody complaining it looks like something else.

Any suggestions on what to do to the logo to improve it?

These threads are the product of tough crowds. The fact is, you can never please everyone. If we were to change logos, doesn't matter what we change to, we would have another thread like this in no time.

You're designs are great, and I appreciate the hard work. I personally like the Orca tail 'V'. I agree it resembles the Whalers sweater, but I'd proudly support that.

What does our logo have in common with Detroit, Buffalo, New Jersey, Minnesota and even Calgary (just to name few)? Their logo's represent both the team name and where the team plays. That does make sense. You simply choose to ignore it.

Holy, long time no hear, Baggins! Where have you been? It's nice to see your regular 2AM posts!!! You must be having a hard time sleeping? Must be having nightmares about all the Orca C logo haters out there! Lol!!

Honestly, Baggins?

What is you malfunction? Why must you throw personal insults to almost all of your responses?

You are unable to have constructive debate about this logo issue, can you? That's disappointing!

Here's some orca whale blubber for you to chew on, D Baggins!

And I'd like to say to you, thank you! Why? Because I figured you would take the bait of my last post and try to discredit & disenfranchise some Canuck fans disliking the orca logo by calling them "stupid"!

Because my family, most of my friends & some of my colleagues, whom I mentioned in that post are in fact transplanted Vancouverites from 20 years ago, currently living & working in various parts of North America. And guess what? They're die hard Canuck fans! And support the Vancouver Canucks, whenever the team visits Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, New York, & Los Angeles! The ridicule of the Orca logo is out there & every where. They hear it all the time. The Canucks are not respected because of that silly Orca logo that is misidentified as a Canuck.

Sorry, but you're in the minority. The Orca logo DOES NOT have anything in common with Detroit, Buffalo, New Jersey, Minnesota and even Calgary logos (just to name few). Yes, their logos represent both the team name and where the team plays. Not the Orca logo though, it makes no sense & you simply choose to ignore logic.

Case in point comparisons:

Red Wings - a red winged wheel to symbolize Detroit as the Motor City

Vs

Canucks - an orca to symbolize Vancouver as the Orca City? I think not! Vancouver is known as the Terminal City & Lotusland.

Sabres - a charging buffalo to symbolize the city's namesake of Buffalo

Vs

Canuck - an orca doesnot symbolize the city's namesake of Vancouver. Maybe you can write to Mr. Robertson (aka Mayor Moonbeam) to change the city name from Vancouver to Orca! Lol!!! Then it would make perfect sense, so the Roger Arena PA announcer can call his intro, " And here are your Orca Canucks!"

Devils - have the New Jersey state's initials in their logo, NJ, to indicate where they're from.

VS

Canucks - an orca that really DOES NOT say where they're from, because the orca habitates all over the world. As well, the orca doesnot scream Vancouver or BC.

Wild - have a logo that symbolizes the forested scenery around Minnesota

Vs

Canucks - where Vancouver & BC is symbolized by an orca. There's more relevant symbols to identify Vancouver & BC than a silly orca.

Flames - the flaming C signifies Calgary & the nickname.

Vs

Canucks - the C signifies Canucks, but the orca doesnot signify Vancouver.

Baggins, keep your personal insults to yourself & try to be constructive in your criticism of the majority of Canuck fans who don't like the Orca logo.

Tigerhearted, Granpappy, Roadrunner, myself & many others have made many points against the Orca logo. If I have to repost those points to remind you & others about the ill conceived Orca logo, I will.

Good day to you, sir.

These threads are the product of tough crowds. The fact is, you can never please everyone. If we were to change logos, doesn't matter what we change to, we would have another thread like this in no time.

You're designs are great, and I appreciate the hard work. I personally like the Orca tail 'V'. I agree it resembles the Whalers sweater, but I'd proudly support that.

Fully appreciate the creativity!

Check out the updated one above. Less of a caution sign.

I used a different hockey stick silhouette too.

Personally though, I like the stick in the caution sign example better .... hmm.

IMO rotate the stick back to it's original horizontal placement and make a "C" in that "V".

You don't think so, but you should know so.

A Vancouver history lesson for you, as quoted from Wikipedia:

The original settlement, named Gastown, grew around the Hastings Mill logging sawmill and a nearby tavern, both established in 1867. Enlarging to become the townsite of Granville, with the announcement that the railhead would reach the site it was renamed "Vancouver" and incorporated as a city in 1886.

A sawmill established at Moodyville (now the City of North Vancouver) in 1863, began the city's long relationship with logging. It was quickly followed by mills owned by Captain Edward Stamp on the south shore of the inlet. Stamp, who had begun logging in the Port Alberni area, first attempted to run a mill at Brockton Point, but difficult currents and reefs forced the relocation of the operation in 1867 to a point near the foot of Gore Street. This mill, known as the Hastings Mill, became the nucleus around which Vancouver formed.

As of 2009, Port Metro Vancouver is the busiest and largest port in Canada, and the most diversified port in North America. While forestry remains its largest industry, Vancouver is well known as an urban centre surrounded by nature, making tourism its second-largest industry.

Thanks for that but you said Vancouver started the lumber industry, not the lumber industry started Vancouver. There is a very big difference there. Your point seems to be that logging originated in Vancouver, which is simply false.

Holy, long time no hear, Baggins! Where have you been? It's nice to see your regular 2AM posts!!! You must be having a hard time sleeping? Must be having nightmares about all the Orca C logo haters out there! Lol!!

Honestly, Baggins?

What is you malfunction? Why must you throw personal insults to almost all of your responses?

You are unable to have constructive debate about this logo issue, can you? That's disappointing!

Here's some orca whale blubber for you to chew on, D Baggins!

And I'd like to say to you, thank you! Why? Because I figured you would take the bait of my last post and try to discredit & disenfranchise some Canuck fans disliking the orca logo by calling them "stupid"!

Because my family, most of my friends & some of my colleagues, whom I mentioned in that post are in fact transplanted Vancouverites from 20 years ago, currently living & working in various parts of North America. And guess what? They're die hard Canuck fans! And support the Vancouver Canucks, whenever the team visits Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, New York, & Los Angeles! The ridicule of the Orca logo is out there & every where. They hear it all the time. The Canucks are not respected because of that silly Orca logo that is misidentified as a Canuck.

Sorry, but you're in the minority. The Orca logo DOES NOT have anything in common with Detroit, Buffalo, New Jersey, Minnesota and even Calgary logos (just to name few). Yes, their logos represent both the team name and where the team plays. Not the Orca logo though, it makes no sense & you simply choose to ignore logic.

Case in point comparisons:

Red Wings - a red winged wheel to symbolize Detroit as the Motor City

Vs

Canucks - an orca to symbolize Vancouver as the Orca City? I think not! Vancouver is known as the Terminal City & Lotusland.

Sabres - a charging buffalo to symbolize the city's namesake of Buffalo

Vs

Canuck - an orca doesnot symbolize the city's namesake of Vancouver. Maybe you can write to Mr. Robertson (aka Mayor Moonbeam) to change the city name from Vancouver to Orca! Lol!!! Then it would make perfect sense, so the Roger Arena PA announcer can call his intro, " And here are your Orca Canucks!"

Devils - have the New Jersey state's initials in their logo, NJ, to indicate where they're from.

VS

Canucks - an orca that really DOES NOT say where they're from, because the orca habitates all over the world. As well, the orca doesnot scream Vancouver or BC.

Wild - have a logo that symbolizes the forested scenery around Minnesota

Vs

Canucks - where Vancouver & BC is symbolized by an orca. There's more relevant symbols to identify Vancouver & BC than a silly orca.

Flames - the flaming C signifies Calgary & the nickname.

Vs

Canucks - the C signifies Canucks, but the orca doesnot signify Vancouver.

Baggins, keep your personal insults to yourself & try to be constructive in your criticism of the majority of Canuck fans who don't like the Orca logo.

Tigerhearted, Granpappy, Roadrunner, myself & many others have made many points against the Orca logo. If I have to repost those points to remind you & others about the ill conceived Orca logo, I will.

Good day to you, sir.

You need to work on context and comprehension. I didn't say those that dislike the Orca are stupid. I said anybody thinking a Canuck is a whale is stupid. A reference to general stupidity. See the difference?

Where do the Canucks play? Vancouver. Where is Vancouver? British Columbia. Where is British Columbia? The Pacific Northwest. Are Orca's common in this area? Yes, it's the only area in the world that has a pod residing year round. Often seen in the Georgia Strait between Vancouver and Vancouver Island. The Orca is rendered in the Haida art style. Where are the Haida from? British Columbia. This adds up to the Haida style Orca being very relevant to where the team plays. After all, Canuck fans aren't restricted to Vancouver alone. There are a few spread around throughout the province.

/lesson

When was the last time you saw a lumberjack in Vancouver? Would it confuse people into thinking we're the Vancouver Lumberjacks? If we went back to the stick in rink would people think a Canuck is a hockey rink? See how silly your approach to disliking the Orca logo is. You really should just stick to the simpler "I don't like it" instead of ignoring the obvious reasons it is applicable.

Btw, our logo may be the opposite method of teams like Calgary, but the result is the exact same regardless of how it's accomplished. It represents both the teams name and where the team plays.

Thanks for that but you said Vancouver started the lumber industry, not the lumber industry started Vancouver. There is a very big difference there. Your point seems to be that logging originated in Vancouver, which is simply false.

The foundation of Vancouver is based on the logging/lumber industry. Period. I did not say Vancouver invented logging/lumber.

You need to work on context and comprehension. I didn't say those that dislike the Orca are stupid. I said anybody thinking a Canuck is a whale is stupid. A reference to general stupidity. See the difference?

Where do the Canucks play? Vancouver. Where is Vancouver? British Columbia. Where is British Columbia? The Pacific Northwest. Are Orca's common in this area? Yes, it's the only area in the world that has a pod residing year round. Often seen in the Georgia Strait between Vancouver and Vancouver Island. The Orca is rendered in the Haida art style. Where are the Haida from? British Columbia. This adds up to the Haida style Orca being very relevant to where the team plays. After all, Canuck fans aren't restricted to Vancouver alone. There are a few spread around throughout the province.

/lesson

When was the last time you saw a lumberjack in Vancouver? Would it confuse people into thinking we're the Vancouver Lumberjacks? If we went back to the stick in rink would people think a Canuck is a hockey rink? See how silly your approach to disliking the Orca logo is. You really should just stick to the simpler "I don't like it" instead of ignoring the obvious reasons it is applicable.

Btw, our logo may be the opposite method of teams like Calgary, but the result is the exact same regardless of how it's accomplished. It represents both the teams name and where the team plays.

You called them stupid period. There's no two ways about it & it is really insulting for you to refer them to being stupid. Just as it's completely stupid to put an orca on a Canuck logo. The orca doesnot scream Vancouver.

If people want an animal on the Canuck logo...

... then change the nickname of the team to the Orcas, as was then original intention to the Orca logo. As documented in a Vancouver Sun article...

Malcolm Parry writes the

"buzz" at GM Place is that Orca Bay Chair John McCaw "plans

to rename our (that is, his) Canucks hockey team the

Vancouver Orcas, thus reflecting the team-owning Orca Bay

Corp's title and eliminating the present team name's alleged

pejorative context in parts of the southern U.S." (VANCOUVER

SUN, 3/20/1997).

An orca doesnot fully represent Vancouver except to the tourists who don't know any better & don't give a damn about hockey. It is a ill conceived logo that misrepresents the team's nickname & the city the team represents. I don't see orcas flowing in & out of Burrard Inlet. As well, as many times I've gone on BC ferries, I've yet to see a plethora of orcas roaming around the Georgia Straight. In fact, I've seen more dolphins than any damn orca.

"As well, when these people come to Vancouver & BC, I can tell you 100% without doubt that they're NOT thinking about whales representing the city & the province. Their view of Vancouver & BC are the mountains, oceans, beaches, & outdoor activities (skiing, snowboarding, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc...). Whale watching doesn't even come close to their association with this area."

I'm sorry PJ but this is about as dumb as it gets.

Firstly there IS a connection between the Orca and BC/Vancouver, FACT. Whether you acknowledge it or not is irrelevant.

People don't come to look at an ice rink or a JC cartoon either so that blows your argument apart. Neither do they come to look at Bears in Boston, Maple Leaves in Toronto or Kings Crowns in LA.

BC's mountains, oceans beaches are all echoed in the colours.

The Orca logo copies native art, is shaped like a "RECOGNISABLE C" and is local to the area.

And that was all she wrote. Game, set and match.

Archived